Anyone know where I can find information on how cars work

Loppysaurusrex

Like I want to know how each individual part works together to move the vehicle, and what are the advantages to upgrading said parts

I don't want to get into modding if I have no clue what I'm doing haha

Youtube on an ICE (Internal combustion engine) Automatic and manual transmission videos are good too, once you figure out the basics research about compression ratio and how the PCM controls all these inputs and outputs, so...research about ICE, Trannys and the PCM is a good start to get a basic knowledge ... next step would be the underbody...i'll do some digging and post links

here's a video showing how it operates

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_NRHxekaY

how a clutch works

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqF-aBtTBnY

part names of an engine

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdZj2EDmhM

If you have time for a 36 minute video, ETC will give you a rundown of everything that you want to know

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ralw-IZAaf0

I would recommend watching this video first, it is simple and to the point

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_19bHxEYg

subscribed. Great info! I want to SC my vehicle, but I am afraid my DD will be compromised. I must know how things work so I can at least be a bit knowledgeable if/when something breaks. Turbo would be fun too, but my research is making me lean away from it, because it is not as reliable.

It's not the turbo that's unreliable, many new cars are running smaller engines with mild boost because it's very efficient power. Only when you try to over boost what the engine can safely handle do problems start to develop.

I am not familiar with what kits are available for the Civic, but don't discount a turbo done right.

I've heard the SC's are very reliable with limited power gains but the turbo path provides much power but with more maintenance...for a DD I'd choose the SC path, just so i'd have a clean conscious about my motor not blowing up cause i have a lead foot lol

SC's don't give the amount of torque a turbo would. HP is just torquexRPM so that's why turbo's can out preform SC's. From my research and other peoples experience, the SI trans gets weak around 350+ torque (give or take) while a SC has trouble topping 300 torque. The limitations on SC's is pulley diameter where a turbo is based on size and boost amount. I'm talking pure basic concepts but for a DD and reliability go SC unless you can be ok with a smaller low boost turbo.

The smaller pulley will up the boost some and the after cooler is very very worth it for any application.

Stock lol I've done many many hours of research and have a good understanding of what each system can preform. What I want to do one day if I keep the car long enough (I love this car just have a trans issue to iron out) is go CT-e SC with vits aftercooler. The pulley size is debatable but probably start out with the bigger 3.15" so when I'm bored of that I have something to get a bump in power before wanting a turbo. CT-e is very reliable and an easy install for the most part, can keep any exhaust system alone whether it's stock or 3" (rec. 3" from DP back) and PRL's short ram (that i have in the closet to go on when i eventually get a flashpro to tune it) will bolt up to it. So basically you can go full bolt ons first and save for a SC then add it without loosing any parts you already spent money on. The aftercooler is like a intercooler for a turbo to do as it says, cool the charged air. Boost pressure no matter what application you do and no matter how much psi you put out will have no effect if the temperature gets too hot. Power comes from air density that gets thinner the hotter the temps which is why you feel more power on a cold morning vs a hot midday. Same principle about temperature (and more that I don't know much about) applies to why E85 produces more power than 93. The ethanol amount in E85 helps cool the charge air even more through physics and tuning and such. With that comes new fuel systems to handle the different chemical properties of the fuel as E85 will break down normal gas lines. Again it all depends on what you want to accomplish and how much your willing to fork over as it is not cheap.

Thanks man. I too have been doing a lot of research too. I have pretty much everything o can do power-wise right now on the NA side. I Would really like to get my power whp north of 300 or even up to 320-330. That would be a lot of fun and help me remember my STI I sold. This platform in my opinion is much better built than my Suburus were.

CT-e with an after cooler on 93 should do that mark np, E85 will be plenty for that goal. For a DD I don't see the point of more unless you like to track it often but I may change my mind if I ever get there lol but I'm not a straight line guy. I prefer the handling aspects more and HP isn't always the answer for that and honestly I've been getting into bikes more so who knows. Enjoy the ride!

Good evening. I was able to track down two other performance shops here by going to a local repair shop since he one I was talking with was less than satisfying... I was thinking about doing Vit's aftercooler, a DW65 fuel pump, and the stage 2 street series completion clutch first and get that tuned. This is similar to the major upgrades I did on the exhaust and intake a little while back. This enables me to buy and install really good quality parts and not take such a huge hit in the shorts at once. I would then buy and install the supercharger at a later time. What do you think about that? First, would I see any gains/performance enhancements from those parts? Second, would I hurt my car with those parts or even be able to install them with the basic NA engine I have right now? I appreciate your help as usual! :)

Aftercooler is in junction with the SC so that would have to be installed with the kit

Back