Auto A/C in Si...possible?

Mephist0

Frisco, TX
Vehicle Model
2013 Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
After hearing that our hockey-loving neighbors to the North have automatic A/C in their Si's, well why the hell don't we? The EX models have auto A/C, wtf? So I looked up the parts via @CollegeHillsHonda and I found the part for the EX's auto A/C unit...

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.c...t-heater-fuel/auto-air-conditioner-control-13

Here's the one we get with the Si...

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.c...ctrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/heater-control-13

The knobs are the same part numbers and while the auto A/C unit is a little deeper, I can't see a reason with this wouldn't work. Thoughts?

NOTE: I believe this is only for 2013+ Civics as the 2012 models had different AC controls.

Last edited:
Would need to make sure you had the sensor and the wiring to it to read the temperature. From there?

Would need to make sure you had the sensor and the wiring to it to read the temperature. From there?
I would think it would be self-contained like any other thermostat but I'll scour the parts listings to see if I can find anything.

Looked over everything remotely related to the Heater/AC system and outside of the actual control unit, everything is the same. Looks like I may have a project in my near future and hopefully before winter comes. They're not too bad in North Texas but we did get some snow last year including a white Xmas which was rather shocking.

Any members who happen to be taking their dash apart, it would be awesome if we could get pics of the control units from the back.

I'd love to also have the digital climate control. It should've been standard in the Si. Presumably, it would be a plug & play swap - I can't imagine Honda making it more difficult than it needs to be when installing them on the assembly line at the factory.

Keep us posted on your progress :popcorn:

I know the 8thgen diy had to get the hybrid humidity control and a few other parts to it to get it to work. If they did that on the 8thgen it might be the same as for the 9th gens.

id love to do this on my lx. is it dual zone as well?

I noticed the humidity sensor in the EX but based on the diagram, doesn't look as though it penetrates the firewall. The only reason I think this swap is reasonably possible is because the Canadian Si's have automatic A/C and the controls are under $300 so I may be willing to try this. Does @CollegeHillsHonda have any input to the 9th Gen (specifically the '13 model) in terms of what is involved? Also, what's your return policy? :D

Reactions: 323
I have no idea if that would work or not. The only way to find out is to actually install it. From past experience though almost everything electrical is very rarely plug and play from vehicle to vehicle. Differences in trim level wiring harnesses and computers are usually the culprits. I'm not saying that it could not be adapted however I doubt it will just plug in and work straight out of the box. I've known to be wrong once or twice though. Electrical items are non returnable.

Schematics form the shop manuals for both would be great to have also as this would indicate what sensors talk to the unit.

Think I'm going to call around to a few salvage yards so the monetary risk is lower. There should be enough wrecked 2013 Civic Ex's by now. :tongue:

I saw a thread for CR-V owners and they did this successfully in a 2007 where it was modular like ours and they bought the controls at a salvage yard for like $40. I can see in some vehicles that offer multi-zone A/C and/or where the system is integrated more heavily into the dash electronics, this would be a pipe dream or just fiscally stupid to even attempt. We have a 2011 Toyota Sienna Limited with multi-zone A/C and the controls are also so embedded into the dash that if people with lower models that had manual controls, it would be near impossible to accomplish a retrofit. The other thing that makes me feel this is easy is that Canadian and Australian Si's have the same auto climate controls as our US EX model, so it likely isn't that involved.

If I can source the controls at a salvage yard on the cheap, I will detail the retrofit.

Last edited:
y9yra4y2.jpg
Haha. Yeah love my auto climate. It's probably not cheap or easy. Cause you need all the sensors as well as the ac unit.

Back