Automatic Car Washes?

Itsbiggs

Michigan
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Do, or don't? On my MX-5 I did hand washes due to the top, but now I have a solid roof car, so what is the verdict on using these? Touchless only? or are the ones with brushes okay to use? I don't wanna be an idiot, and I can certainly hand wash my car just curious as it would be easier to take it through a wash. I know since I've joined I've asked a ton of questions, but I figure the more I know the better off. Not only that, others may have the question and are just not asking it :)

no to the brushed car washes... scratches everywhere. Touchless only to avoid clearcoat issues

from anther thread -
I just thought of a member on 8th who went through an automatic and had his car destroyed. Apparently the person who went through just prior to him owned a truck. The truck had a piece of barbed wire in his truck bed. One of the brushes on the machine picked it up ...and you can guess what happened when the civic owner went through. I know there were signs all over saying "not responsible for damages" etc. His paint was all jacked up.

I've always been weary of the brush ones. I will probably just stick to doing it by hand... Pollen season sucks though, just took delivery 2 days ago and its already coated...

Edit: How about getting a pressure washer for home use? Good or no good?

Last edited:
I would not take my car to an automatic car wash of any kind. Any payed service or most of them will use what is fastest and yields the most cars washed per hour not best for your car's paint and coating.

I personally prefer to leave the car dirty than car wash.

I have a pressure washer...nothing wrong with it.

I tend to first rinse the car with water and cheapo car shampoo using a something like this then wash by hand using a good quality shampoo. I do not like high pressure water hitting dirt covered paint. I know i may be exaggerating but car seems to be nice and shiny this way. I also enjoy detailing my car so maybe it is more an excuse than a real reason :)

32203XL__43680.1353362468.1280.1280.jpg

I use the "laser wash" touchless washes if my car is super dirty and im going to be stripping and waxing later on anyway. If you are in a pinch they work. Stay away from the brush/fabric strip ones.

Any automatic car wash just doesn't feel right for me. I have not tried a touchless car wash though.

I'd rather just wash my car at home.

Reactions: Nix
Truthfully, I hate to do anything other than a 2-bucket, 3 Mitt, 4 grit guard wash.

I only use the touch less in the winter. If I could get away with washing in the driveway all year round I would but unfortunately that would involve me wearing skates for four months of the year.

I would never use an automatic car wash with brushes. I may need a therapy session just thinking about it. :spaz:

Last edited:
I wish I could find a touchless around me for the winter. :(

:sadwavey: I just did a quick search for that town

Yeah, I did too. Was disappointed with the lack of results. And to think this area is the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the state.

Back