Best Class for 9th Gen Civic - SCCA AutoX

sthompson86

Pearl, MS
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Sedan
I am soon to start modding my new Si Sedan, and I was wondering what is the best choice AutoX class for a 9th Gen Si?

I am not planning on doing AutoX at this point, but more or less using a class as a guide for modding.

Stock the car falls into G Stock, but stock is of course limited on mods. More limited than I am wanting to be.

I have tried to figure out what the step up class from G Stock would be I cannot really put a finger on it.

Would be nice to have the Si fit into a class it can be competitive in. I used to have an Acura RSX-S that I modded very heavily so I always used to get thrown into Spec Modified Class with the race prepped Vettes etc and experienced drivers.. I did not have much of a chance.

Thanks in adv.

Reactions: Nix
I'm not certain but I think the factory option stuff like the HFP suspension won't boot you from stock. Also you can run a pretty wide tire on the stock wheels. 235/40/17 is a great size for contact patch and lower sidewall to make the most of the available torque.

There are a couple auto-x guys on here... they may have some useful input.

k757 testify

I'm not certain but I think the factory option stuff like the HFP suspension won't boot you from stock. Also you can run a pretty wide tire on the stock wheels. 235/40/17 is a great size for contact patch and lower sidewall to make the most of the available torque.

There are a couple auto-x guys on here... they may have some useful input.

k757 testify

Thanks - The HFP suspension is what I am after. I know if I change the Intake though I will be booted out of stock, but I do not plan on keeping the stock intake.

Last edited:
I am entering my first si's autocross next weekend. It's been a year since I last ran (2005 s2000 in STR). Assuming u don't want to do r comps maybe rtf with a gstock pax? Or if u want to do some mods stf?

I have 225 re-11 and a 24mm rear sway. I think I want to do rtf this year and maybe do some mods and do stf next year.

I'm definitely unsure of whether or not you can modify the stock intake and stay in stock class. Pulling the intake resonator and getting a K&N drop in filter will definitely help. I think as long as you have the stock airbox you can stay stock class from what I've been reading.

I'm definitely unsure of whether or not you can modify the stock intake and stay in stock class. Pulling the intake resonator and getting a K&N drop in filter will definitely help. I think as long as you have the stock airbox you can stay stock class from what I've been reading.

O yea - If you change it your out. I want the Takeda intake eventually. I am tempted of taken the resonator out. Is that a pretty common thing 9thgen owners are doing?

There are a couple threads on here about it... it's definitely not as good of gains as a "real" SRI or CAI but it does free up some airflow. I did it to my 8th gen, no dyno results, but the butt dyno certainly liked it. I don't know if it's common as most people simply buy an intake but it is a way to skirt the rules a little and it is a free mod you can try out and see if you like it.

I wish mucter got on here more often. Him and VitViper hit up the drag strip a lot and I think mucter is using the stock airbox on his 8th gen and got pretty good gains with it over some aftermarket intake. The stock system isn't too bad, just restrictive from the factory due to the resonator. Which as far as I can tell is just to make it quiet for all the non enthusiasts who buy the car.

Maybe vit will chime in if he sees this.

Last edited:
If your car came from the factory or you bought it brand new with the HFP suspension then it can be in stock. If you just bought the package and put it on your car it is no longer in g-stock but STX. You can't modify any of the air intake except a drop in filter to stay in stock, this includes the resonator unfortunately. Also you can go as wide a tire as you want but the rims have to stay the same size and width as stock so that limits the width of tire you can put on the rim.

In stock the biggest things would be a big rear sway bar and endlinks, drop in filter and slightly wider/better tires (i.e. dunlop ZII, rivals etc. or r-comps if you really want)

Honestly for autox the stock power is just enough, handling is kind of lacking in stock form. So a big rear sway bar and better tires are all you need until you start to get faster, until then just drive your car and get as much seat time or take a school if you want.

Last edited:
If your car came from the factory or you bought it brand new with the HFP suspension then it can be in stock. If you just bought the package and put it on your car it is no longer in g-stock but STX. You can't modify any of the air intake except a drop in filter to stay in stock, this includes the resonator unfortunately. Also you can go as wide a tire as you want but the rims have to stay the same size and width as stock so that limits the width of tire you can put on the rim.

In stock the biggest things would be a big rear sway bar and endlinks, drop in filter and slightly wider/better tires (i.e. dunlop ZII, rivals etc. or r-comps if you really want)

Honestly for autox the stock power is just enough, handling is kind of lacking in stock form. So a big rear sway bar and better tires are all you need until you start to get faster, until then just drive your car and get as much seat time or take a school if you want.

Great info - Thanks. I may have to look into STX mod allowance, because Stock is well too stock.

Thanks again.

But to answer your question, if you're looking to be competitive, I think that the best class for the civic si is actually g-stock, unless someone else here has experience with their car in other classes. Moving up to STX or DSP, there are a ton of cars that are very very quick when prepped for these classes.

Reactions: Nix
But to answer your question, if you're looking to be competitive, I think that the best class for the civic si is actually g-stock, unless someone else here has experience with their car in other classes. Moving up to STX or DSP, there are a ton of cars that are very very quick when prepped for these classes.

Can the exhaust be changed in G Stock?

STX is a good fit for most people since you can use coilovers, upgrade both sway bars(instead of just one in stock), use camber bolts up front, intake, exhaust and tuning.

I'm running in g-stock this year but it is very tempting to move up to stx next year just to add stiffer springs and add camber.

STX is a good fit for most people since you can use coilovers, upgrade both sway bars(instead of just one in stock), use camber bolts up front, intake, exhaust and tuning.

I'm running in g-stock this year but it is very tempting to move up to stx next year just to add stiffer springs and add camber.

STX sounds like where its at for me. Once again, I am just using this as a guideline, for I do not want to end up in Spec Mod with the Vettes.

Great Help - Thanks

No problem, don't worry too much about the classing just go out and have fun driving your car :)

I have autox'ed a lot in the past with my old RSX-S, but would always get lost on course and miss a pointer cone/go to the wrong side. I finally just started doing road course track days, which ultimately wore the transmission out in the RSX. So yea, if I get back into it will be Autox, but no time soon. The car is not even a week old I am just OCD about planning everything out..

Thanks again.

Nice! I was trying to find that earlier. I was only going by what I had remembered from previous conversations... obv not very accurate.

Back