best functional daily drive wheel tire and drop combo

dellfive

Vehicle Model
civic SI
Body Style
sedan
I have a 2013 si 4door... and a limited budget. My SI is completely stock and i love it don't want to change much. I would like to upgrade the suspension/performance. I need new tires soon... so I want to come up with a plan for an up grade that maybe should include new rims/tires for better performance and a minimal 1-1.5 in drop? Is there any consensus on the best bang for your buck suspension performance first step upgrade

Im sure I will want modest drop with an easy smooth ride. Im interested in if new rims could have much to offer performance wise over OEM SI rims...(not just for looks). If so what do I look for in rims (weight, Offset, etc.)?... if not Ill just put some good new tires on my OEM rims. Should I just stick with the stock tire size and width?... also spring recommendations are useful.

any input or advice on the topic is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Very few springs will meet your lowering needs. I think just one of the eibach models lowers that distance without going to full coilovers.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-honda-civic-suspension-options-with-product-info-links.6860/

I'd look through wheel setups to get ideas of the look you like.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/rims-wheels-on-your-9th-gen-civic-show-me-some-pics.3815/
Ride of the month forum is another place you may want to look at for ideas. Sizing matters a ton depending on suspension, tire size, offset, camber etc. Find what you like looks wise and post some examples. It'd be easier to tell you what they did, the wheel sizing etc to try and replicate or go from.

I did the Eibach springs and it lowered my 14 coupe about 1" to 1.5". Then I got Enkei RFP1 wheels with the OEM size 18x7.5 45 offset. Saves something like 11 pounds on each corner. Runs great. No rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The links above do omit Swift Spec-R springs, and they are worth a look.
They are very close in weight to OEM springs (most aftermarket springs are heavier than OEM coil springs) and like OEM springs, they have a linear spring rate (again, most aftermarket coil springs are progressive).
Advertised lowering is 1.2" front; 1.0" rear. They are said to be quite firm, however.
If at all possible, I would recommend trying to find owners of different springs in your vicinity for an audition. You know - try before you buy.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.
I've heard good things about the Swift Spec-R springs when I was researching a drop for a 2015 Honda fit for my now x wife who hated my old modified suspension.
But I also really don't want it to be a stiff or jaring ride. I had 98 and 96 civics that I slammed back in the day and it was super fun... but i got tired of the mantianance, worn out tires, and how hard it would hit on rough back roads which I currently drive on a lot....
I'll look into the Eibach and the Swift. thanks!
Whats the collective experience with linear vs progressive springs?
...also, Any consensus on the Rear sway bar? Im
interested if its not too expensive.

So basically, some relief from that cavernous stock fender gap, comfort with a tiny bit better feel cornering/accelerating is what I'm after and willing to pay for.
I like the stock si wheels ok and I'm inclined to just keep them... but if there is tangable performance to gain from new rims over the stock ones as far as handling and acceleration, I could be persuaded to go for rims since I already have to buy new tires... as far as aesthetic Im less concerned... I had 17's on my last civic for a while for looks, but switched them for 16's cause it felt sturdier and like they pulled harder.... coulda been cause they were lighter? I don't know much about off set so don't know it that was a factor. Does anyone put 16s on the newer civics?

237673-4-2013-civic-honda-lowering-springs-vordoven-forme-9-bronze-hellaflush.jpg

Since you asked, I like this look generally for tire/rim size and there just appears to be a wider stance (the rim style is mostly irrelevant to me... I'd do painted steal rims if they were cheeper and improved on stock handling and ride feel) .... but less drop tho (I realize that this pick is probably and 2-3 inch drop)

thanks again!

that wheel design ^
Drag DR 31 / Rota Torque / Enkei PF01 / Work Emotion CR Kai

the enkei pf01 is a very light wheel. You would have like 5 or 6 pounds per wheel in reduction depending on what size you went with.

Is weight reduction the main thing to look (and pay for) for in a rim if your not getting them for looks?

If not for looks, it'd be for performance. Weight reduction, or different widths for people who want/need wider wheels for getting power to the road etc. track cars/high hp cars and so on.

So for a stock civic si theres not much gain outside of aesthetics to custom wheels?... Im not planning any engine mods the car is plenty fast for my needs... I just like to go fast around corners when I want to.

For any car....not just the civic.

Looks
Wider for track/racing/wider tires etc
Lighter for performance upgrade

Really 3 main reasons people change them

Cornering fast? Performance alignment and the most boring thing, tires.

Tires make all the difference, but nobody likes that answer, tires are boring expensive parts to buy. If you really want the car to handle better, look into that larger rear sway bar.

yeah I've done some research on tires... I think thats the way to go. I imagine the lighter rims cost a bunch... whats the least expensive lightest rim you recommend?...and durability is a factor too i guess.
... would going with 16s be worth considering?

Thanks Nix and Webby

Take it from a guy who's been there and done that

Best Value Suspension for daily driver: HFP Suspension (dampers and springs)
Best Value Rims for Looks: Enkei RPF1
Best Value Tires for performance: Hankook Ventus

With that combination I guarantee you'll be happy with how your car looks and feels without the price.

If you don't want to do power mods the best thing you can do to improve the feel of your car is suspension mods and to lighten unsprung weight, ie the wheels. Essentially the lighter the wheel tire combo the easier time the car has getting them spinning so you essentially feel improved throttle response. The stock Si wheels are about 25lbs each and tires are usually around the same so your looking at 50lbs a corner stock. I agree with @Nix if you want better turning the progress rear sway bar is the best bang for your buck suspension mod. Outside of that a good set of sticky summer tires will keep you planted in the corners. I run run the 24mm sway and Dunlop Direzza Star Specs for autocross on my Si (keeps me in a stock class) and I put up some pretty decent times with nothing more than that. I would also suggest getting the hasport rear motor mount as it makes it easier to put the power to the ground and reduces wheel hop on hard take offs.

I don't think you will like the way 16's look on your car. I personally think the coupe can pull off 17's well and 18's if you want. The sedan I think looks best with at least 18" wheels on it due to the larger body style but 17's aren't bad either.

I completely agree with this:
Take it from a guy who's been there and done that

Best Value Suspension for daily driver: HFP Suspension (dampers and springs)
Best Value Rims for Looks: Enkei RPF1
Best Value Tires for performance: Hankook Ventus

With that combination I guarantee you'll be happy with how your car looks and feels without the price.

I will add that the RPF1 looks best in a 9" width. Several threads about it on here already. Look through those before you buy wheels.

sounds solid ...
thanks again... I'll look in to that combo!

I have a 2013 si 4door... and a limited budget. My SI is completely stock and i love it don't want to change much. I would like to upgrade the suspension/performance. I need new tires soon... so I want to come up with a plan for an up grade that maybe should include new rims/tires for better performance and a minimal 1-1.5 in drop? Is there any consensus on the best bang for your buck suspension performance first step upgrade

Im sure I will want modest drop with an easy smooth ride. Im interested in if new rims could have much to offer performance wise over OEM SI rims...(not just for looks). If so what do I look for in rims (weight, Offset, etc.)?... if not Ill just put some good new tires on my OEM rims. Should I just stick with the stock tire size and width?... also spring recommendations are useful.

any input or advice on the topic is greatly appreciated.

thanks

H&R or Eibach is probably what you'd be looking for. Swift's spring rates tend to be more aggressive when compared to everything else out on the market, and since you have no plans for driving your car at autocross or at HPDEs, this is something you should consider. In terms of tires, there are plenty of 215/45/17 on the market. Most of what people are saying, I agree with, except for tires. I had the Hankook V12's and for a tire that was as loud as it was, it had very poor grip. I'd suggest the Continental Extreme Contact Sport. A couple of my friends had to run these for a time attack competition as it was the tire issued to them. They were all pretty surprised at how it gripped for a 340tw tire. Some have compared them to the official "I WATCH THE SMOKING TIRE" tire -- Pilot Super Sports, but they're at a fraction of the cost. Another tire worth looking at is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. They're cheap, grippy, and very livable on a daily basis.

Cornering fast? Performance alignment and the most boring thing, tires.

Tires make all the difference, but nobody likes that answer, tires are boring expensive parts to buy. If you really want the car to handle better, look into that larger rear sway bar.

Big sway bar will help tons. It took me damn near every suspension bit and even staggered wheels and staggered tires before finally putting one in my car. I wished I had done that sooner.

Honestly, if I was piecing together my car again solely as a daily driver, I'd go with an HFP suspension, camber bolts, rear camber arms, and a set of 17x8 RPF1's with 235/40/17. I had a similar setup before, and while the look of the RPF1's in an 8j isn't for everyone, it only rubbed until I rolled the middle tab of the front fender (I was on coils). With an HFP or just springs, I doubt that will be an issue.

Last edited:
hey thanks, for the input.
just dropped off my si at the body shop to get the smashed bumper fixed... (some **** head hit my parked car and took off a long time ago and Ive been driving around duct taped up)... Im going to have the guy do the suspension while its there... and black out all the chrome. So Im excited to have my ride all back legit.
I think I'm going with HPF... to keep it as genuine as possible, warrantees in tact and such. It looks like there is some controversy over wether the 2013 Civic HPF suspension is OK for the sedan... people say it fits but then it only says its for the coup when I go to buy. anyone got experience with this?

Back