Brake fluid flush

hwasa

Long Beach, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Hey guys. I just passed 3 years on my si so it's its recommended to do a brake fluid flush. I've read online as long as its still clear and not rust colored it means moisture probably hasn't gotten in your lines and you're good. Anyway, not sure if I need a flush or not. I attached a picture. Kind of a red color but looks clear. Can upload a better picture later if needed. Can you guys let me know what you think? Thanks!

Update.. Got a better picture. Looks like it needs to be flushed.

Attachments

• 20170912_184955.jpg
    20170912_184955.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Mine looked similar after 3 years. I replaced the brake fluid but I also took the calipers off so I can paint them and I would have had to bleed them anyway.

If u know how to do it yourself then why not? Peace of mind I guess.

But I also agree with @dpetro1.

The fluid has absorbed moisture over time and doesn't work as well as it used to. The general driving public vs enthusiasts needs are a bit different. Most people won't know the difference between a spongy pedal and a nice firm brake feel.

I wouldn't worry about a power bleed. Just gravity and get fresh fluid in there or invest in one of the hand pump/suction units. It's usually a two person job but you can also invest in speed bleeders. A friend helping makes quick work just pumping the pedal with someone manning the bleeder with a wrench.

But yes, over time the fluid loses its effectiveness and should be swapped out. Rusty or not. I think rust dirty fluid would mean a bigger problem than just old fluid!

new brake fluid is almost clear with an light amber color, I would flush your fluid buts thats just me and because I have the motive power bleeder and a special cap for the master cylinder

Reactions: Nix
I like the ATE Type 200. Stuff is slightly better than the OEM stuff temperature wise and can stay in the system for a year or two unless you're tracking the car. A lot of the Motul and RBF fluids need to be changed regularly.

OEM is usually fine for most people and you'll know if you need something better.

A flush is not going to hurt anything. I also recommend the ATE type 200 fluid for a little better temperature range. If you have the funds lying around I would also recommend the motive power bleeder system. I paid about $85 for mine but it made doing a full flush and replacing with new fluid a breeze, and entirely a one person job.

Not advertising but I am using the Motive bleeder with Power Probe Honda master cylinder adapter. I love the adapter because it goes into the master cylinder neck and seals tight unlike the Motive plastic cover that you clamp down. With the Power Probe it doesn't leak like the Motive and for me it is worth it because me and wifey both have civic's so the extra price was worth it.

Back