Chip on Hood

BlacklistRogue

El Paso, TX
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
So I was driving down the free way and this guy in a pick up truck is cutting in and out of traffic. I can see him in my side view mirror so I brake to avoid this guy cutting me off ugly (which he does anyways) he speeds up and kicks all sorts of gravel up in front of me. SMACK I thought for sure my windshield was cracked. Got home inspected my windshield it was fine. But this was there!!! I almost cried gentlemen. My new baby is already getting destroyed. Anyone have any tips on what I should do??
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358286928.484696.jpg

OUCH! I would have cried. really sorry that happened to you :( Rest assured that someone here will know what to do!

RaskyR1 may have some feedback... you're going to want to get something on that area so the bare metal doesn't start rusting before too long. :sadwavey: Sorry to see that

I would fill it with touch paint, sand with a high grit sand paper (different grits, different steps), compound, polish, wax. It will be hard to do as a 1st timer.

That Sucks big time...........
As much as I don't like to do this or see others do it, but when traveling on multi-lane roads where you can see where the crap is gathering between lanes, there are things to minimize letting others throw this crap on you. Get beside someone so they can't pass, or stay in the left lane and go fast enough that they don't pass you. Get off the freeway and take single lane roads, and stay behind 2 sec or more(my preference).

So I was driving down the free way and this guy in a pick up truck is cutting in and out of traffic. I can see him in my side view mirror so I brake to avoid this guy cutting me off ugly (which he does anyways) he speeds up and kicks all sorts of gravel up in front of me. SMACK I thought for sure my windshield was cracked. Got home inspected my windshield it was fine. But this was there!!! I almost cried gentlemen. My new baby is already getting destroyed. Anyone have any tips on what I should do??
View attachment 8562

Pull out a handgun and let him know you aren't happy?? :dance: Just kiddin. I wouldn't put that through your insurance, seek out a bodyshop that specializes in small damage repair. I would drive up to a few different shops to get quotes of this, most will do that in the parking lot in a few moments.

With today's UV cure primer surfacers ( cured and sandable in 90 seconds with intense UV lamps ) this repair should not cost over $ 125-150ish depending on your market. They will have to mix a small amount of the base color, and then clearcoat the entire top of the hood.

What they will need to do to repair: wash the car thoroughly, clean with wax and grease remover, sand back the damaged paint edge, possibly a thin coat of 2part putty, a light sanding of the area around the repair with P180, prime the area, then abrade the clear on the entire hood. This can be done in minutes with an orbital sander and P500. Once the primer is cured, block sand primer with P400, then sand with P500 ( solid colors ) or P600 ( light metallics )

This can be done with the hood on the car, or off on a stand. Once the hood is blown off, and cleaned with pre-paint solvent, then it can be wiped with a tack rag. 2-3 coats of the base color over the repair to hiding, blend out the basecolor and then clearcoat the entire hood. ( 2 coats )

That Sucks big time...........
As much as I don't like to do this or see others do it, but when traveling on multi-lane roads where you can see where the crap is gathering between lanes, there are things to minimize letting others throw this crap on you. Get beside someone so they can't pass, or stay in the left lane and go fast enough that they don't pass you. Get off the freeway and take single lane roads, and stay behind 2 sec or more(my preference).

I also avoid merge lanes, people tend to cut in at the last moment, where there's tons of gravel and sand in winter times. Got my windshield cracked at some point due to a small Fit changing lanes at the last moment and throwing gravel onto traffic. I was exiting, Fit was merging onto the highway so I could not actually go after them and express my discontent. It was a small crack though that insurance fixes for free at any windshield shop.

Ouch! That's a nasty one. sorry man! :(

That's probably a $500+ fix at a body shop and most likely your deductible is going to be that high. If you go this route don't try to find a shop with the lowest price! Find a reputable shop or you will regret it, trust me! ;)

Personally, I would just order some touch-up paint pens from here and call it a day. You can get the Primer, color, and clear and these are much easier to use then the pen/brush ones you get at the dealer. Done carefully it should look pretty good when your done.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintpen.asp

I also strongly advise against try to wet sand and level unless you are experienced at doing so. I can do a quick search on a few forums and show you dozens of newbs that tried, failed, and basically sanded though their clear coat, thus making it worse.

Hope this helps,
Rasky

If nothing else put clear nail polish over it until you decide what to do. Itll prevent the metal from rusting and the edges wont get caught by anything else and make it bigger.

They probably started off with a 50 grit sand paper.

:rotfl: Bestest way to fix a paint chip!

Yeh but you love cars! Mrjrotax is a lucky man. My wife can't understand why I love my 3 cars so much and is constantly hassling about them. I don't bug her about Harry potter and twilight. I goto the movies and sit through them quietly. Why can't I have my quiet fun time. :Vent over: lol jk it's not really that bad. She just hates my cars because I can spend all night working on them.

She probably sees this as something equivalent to cheating. But with cars...3 cars. :giggle:

I think it bothers him sometimes that I get in to what is going on :rotfl:
I do need to give my car a good detail here soon though...including the engine bay again :leghump: need to do more polishing

Back