Clicking/tapping coming from front drivers side.

Chase

I have a 2012 SI with 60,000kms on it. In the last week I’ve been noticing a new noise, it’s a fast tapping/clicking noise. Almost sounds like a plastic noise but I can’t really tell. I haven’t done any work recently so it’s not from anything like that, but I’m at a loss for what it could be. I did a tire rotation today and the noise still persists in the same place so I don’t think it’s anything in the tire itself. I went for a quick drive down the highway and noted the following:

- the noise starts around 60-70km/h
- the noise stopped completely when I began braking.
- I turned around on the highway and headed back home afterwards, and the noise did not come back at all going the opposite direction.

I am not too mechanically inclined so I’m not sure where to start to find what could be happening, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

So this is just a shot in the dark but a guy in this forum just had kind of a similar problem and it ended up being the brake shield. Or u could be missing a clip on a plastic panel somewhere and something is flapping around when ur at higher speeds. Do u hear any grinding ?

brake pads worn out , warp rotors. Honda rotors are very thin compared to a SRT-4. Spray some brake cleaner on.:squirrel:Your the troll too. ANY one who reads and posts is trolling according. And I work on My Honda SI 2013 too and are good at repair anything on wheels. I have mod cars sense I was 16!

Last edited:
did you take the wheel off and look at the brakes? This shouldn't be hard to figure out- sounds like a metal grinding noise.

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n48nvkzCTFBxje_VUFqTy1BYIzsw3ojZ/view?usp=drivesdk

I took a video of the noise it was getting worse/ louder. Would anyone be able to listen and suggest what it could be? I was driving on the highway at the time of the video and it seemed to be coming from the front drivers tire area.

It could possibly be a bad wheel hub bearing -- those are known to make clicking noises when they begin to wear. I ripped the following from a website:

"
. Clicking sound from the wheels
Finally, if you hear a clicking sound that increases in speed as the vehicle accelerates, this could be a problem with the wheel hub assembly as well. In this case, the brake caliper will move up and down and hit the top of the wheels as the vehicle drives down the street. This is due to the wheel hub assembly bearing being broken. "

Sorry, a little extra detail now that I'm settled at home -- this sort of thing can happen from hitting potholes, etc.

This is also something that a mechanic won't necessarily check for in a rotation scenario. It often requires pointing out. You mentioned that the noise cuts out when you brake, which adds creedence to my suspicions. The part that's in question is sort of in the middle of the hub assembly "sandwich", so someone would probably have to peek in there to confirm if it's broken, or getting close to being broken.

did you take the wheel off and look at the brakes? This shouldn't be hard to figure out- sounds like a metal grinding noise.
Did take the wheel off and brakes looked fine checked the calipers they are tight and not moving and I couldn’t really find where the noise is coming from anywhere but wheel bearing could be possible I’ll ge that looked at asap

Did take the wheel off and brakes looked fine checked the calipers they are tight and not moving and I couldn’t really find where the noise is coming from anywhere but wheel bearing could be possible I’ll ge that looked at asap

The speeds that you mentioned seem to match up to the symptoms, too (30-45mph/50kmph-70kmph) so I'd definitely have the wheel hub assembly checked, with the bearing being suspect number 1.

A little handy write-up if you're curious; the symptoms are in the middle of the article: https://www.moogparts.com/parts-matter/all-about-hub-assemblies.html

Back