Coilover question

JonnyRotten

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
coupe
Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for what the best coilovers are to use if you drive your car in winter conditions. :snow:
I'm wondering which brands will hold up to the snow/salt conditions especially the threads on the body of the coilovers. I wouldn't want to have them seize up or the salt to attach the body of the colovers.
I wish I didn't have to worry about this whole thing but unfortunately I do :sadface:

I am sure you can ask the supplier before ordering. I would assume that the nicer sets like buddy clubs ^^^ are more fit for extreme conditions. I am ordering Ksports, I had them on a previous DC integra and they were fine in the winter time. But as far as snow, here in TN we don't have a whole lot so that could also be why I did not have any issues..I guess my advice would be to try and avoid any cheaper made sets.

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for what the best coilovers are to use if you drive your car in winter conditions. :snow:
I'm wondering which brands will hold up to the snow/salt conditions especially the threads on the body of the coilovers. I wouldn't want to have them seize up or the salt to attach the body of the colovers.
I wish I didn't have to worry about this whole thing but unfortunately I do :sadface:

The exact reason I went with a spring/strut combo. I was concerned with the same thing. I was living in Upstate NY, like 2 hours from Toronto, and the winter conditions are pretty much the same. Horrible for car parts. Hahaha.... I think Webby has the right idea for you with coating the bodies in some type of anti-sieze or grease to keep the salt off.

I decided I didn't want to risk it and just paired up some drop springs with Koni struts. I was worried about deep snow but it was really no issue at all. I mean unless you are planning on running slammed, I'm dropped almost 2" and with a good set of snow tires I only almost got stuck once but we had like 8" of snow that day. The wheel wells do pack up with snow easier so you might be cleaning them out more often.

You know that black chunk you get at the back of the wheel well? Keep those knocked down cause you will start scraping them on stuff. Which I thought was pretty funny. Scraping snow chunks......

I will say most of my bolt heads and hardware are pretty corroded though.

I'm also the kind of guy who's going to set it and forget it. The adjustability of the coilovers would have been nice for setting the ride height initially, but to be honest, I probably would have never touched them again. So if the threads had gotten corroded and unuseable it probably wouldn't have made much difference.

Are you thinking coils so you can be low in the summer and raise up for the winter and snow?

I'm also the kind of guy who's going to set it and forget it. The adjustability of the coilovers would have been nice for setting the ride height initially, but to be honest, I probably would have never touched them again. So if the threads had gotten corroded and unuseable it probably wouldn't have made much difference.

Are you thinking coils so you can be low in the summer and raise up for the winter and snow?
Nix, I like the flexibility of the coilovers and the fact that you can lower your car more then springs.

Reactions: Nix
your best bet would be to go with buddyclub, although ANY coilover is going to seize up on you, best thing to do is when you wanna adjust them just completely take them off, wire brush them and maybe add some baby oil to grease them up to adjust them

Back