Considering and Si

elementrace

Will be needing a new car in a few months so I though I'd start looking now. I originally wanted a 2015 Fit but a 2014 Civic LX manual or an SI is something I want to look into as well. I'll take the Si if the ride and MPG isn't too bad. Otherwise it's the Fit or Civic LX.

I'm 40(ish) and currently drive an 1998 Isuzu Rodeo and my wife has a 2010 Higlander. Past cars include some pickups (miss the old Mazda B2200's), a 1990 Accord (manual), an 87 (or was it 88?) Mustang 5.0 (manual), Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham (YES!)

I don't necessarily need to have a performance car but I prefer cars that are "interesting" and fun to drive. I enjoy driving hence the preference for manual trans when I can get it. Also, my wife thinks we should have something more sporty in the garage

I'm hoping this forum will lead me to the right decision.

Welcome sir! Are we talking coupe or sedan? Both SI and Non-Si have their goods so it really depends on what you want, I recommend to test drive them both. Welcome again!!

I totally surprised myself and got a 2014 Si Coupe. RIde is firm without being stiff, shifting is precise (but the throws are somewhat long compared to my other car), but I'm quite happy with the car. The front-end was somewhat visually "bothersome" initially, but I'm beginning to like it more and more. Not sure where Honda got the design cues but they actually do work, you just have to look at the overall effect. All in all, if I had to do it again, I'd still buy the coupe.

Welcome sir! Are we talking coupe or sedan? Both SI and Non-Si have their goods so it really depends on what you want, I recommend to test drive them both. Welcome again!!

Thank you for the welcome. It will have to be a sedan as I will be hauling 2 kids daily and the whole family once in a while. I've driven a Civic LX Auto. It was a nice enough car but not very entertaining. Our dealer is good about stocking manual cars so I hope to catch one for a test drive when they come in. We should have some Si's and more LX manuals this month but the Fits won't be in till August.

I totally surprised myself and got a 2014 Si Coupe. RIde is firm without being stiff, shifting is precise (but the throws are somewhat long compared to my other car), but I'm quite happy with the car. The front-end was somewhat visually "bothersome" initially, but I'm beginning to like it more and more. Not sure where Honda got the design cues but they actually do work, you just have to look at the overall effect. All in all, if I had to do it again, I'd still buy the coupe.

I've grown to like the new look of the Si, the red seats and new 18" wheels have grown on me in pictures. I'm ok with a firm and controlled ride, but not hard and jarring. Coming from a 98 Rodeo should be an improvement though. The ride on a good road was pretty decent for an old SUV but on bad potholes or broken pavement it was jarring.

Will be needing a new car in a few months so I though I'd start looking now. I originally wanted a 2015 Fit but a 2014 Civic LX manual or an SI is something I want to look into as well. I'll take the Si if the ride and MPG isn't too bad. Otherwise it's the Fit or Civic LX.

I'm 40(ish) and currently drive an 1998 Isuzu Rodeo and my wife has a 2010 Higlander. Past cars include some pickups (miss the old Mazda B2200's), a 1990 Accord (manual), an 87 (or was it 88?) Mustang 5.0 (manual), Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham (YES!)

I don't necessarily need to have a performance car but I prefer cars that are "interesting" and fun to drive. I enjoy driving hence the preference for manual trans when I can get it. Also, my wife thinks we should have something more sporty in the garage

I'm hoping this forum will lead me to the right decision.
We've been extremely pleased with our 2012 Si Sedan. Ride is not bad at all but we have 17 wheels. Roomy and Performance is super (comparable to my '68 RoadRunner - but with handling & brakes). At 20,000 miles we're averaging over 32 mpg (actual) on 87 octane (low 28 high 37+). We're both over 65. Per Honda site the Si is cheaper than an EX (similarly equipped!) - Go figure.

We've been extremely pleased with our 2012 Si Sedan. Ride is not bad at all but we have 17 wheels. Roomy and Performance is super (comparable to my '68 RoadRunner - but with handling & brakes). At 20,000 miles we're averaging over 32 mpg (actual) on 87 octane (low 28 high 37+). We're both over 65. Per Honda site the Si is cheaper than an EX (similarly equipped!) - Go figure.
You shouldn't be using anything other than premium (91 octane) in an Si. According to the manual, a lower octane should only be used temporarily.

My answer about the Si option:
giphy.gif

Welcome to the forums. :wavey:

You shouldn't be using anything other than premium (91 octane) in an Si. According to the manual, a lower octane should only be used temporarily.

Appreciate your feedback but not sure where you're reading the above...

page 234 of my 2012 Owners manual says
"Fuel Information

Fuel recommendation
2.4 ℓ engine models
Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher
Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the
engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage."

We've never heard pinging or had a lack of performance - that's bothered us.
I fully suspect that "regular grade" is 87 minimum and could be significantly higher.
As with all my gasoline vehicles - where you buy it (major brands or a known source) is as important as octane numbers.
Where we live - western MA - 91 octane is 8-10+% more costly than regular - at a major brand station - Shell.
Why waste money?

Why waste money?

Why spend the money and buy a performance vehicle designed to use premium and not put premium in it? I have said this all along, if you cannot afford premium, you should not be buying a car that calls for premium (91 octane or higher) based on the compression ratio of the engine. You spent the money on a car that benefits from the performance accorded to it by using premium and you are robbing the car of that performance (which you are losing if you notice it or not) to save $3-5 a tank? Makes no sense to me why people would do this.

After some digging, from the manual (page 20) available through Honda Owner's website:

Unleaded gasoline with a PON of 91 or higher is recommended.
If premium unleaded gasoline with a PON of 91 or higher is not
available, you can temporarily use the gasoline with a PON of
87 or higher.
This will result in decreased engine performance, and can cause
occasional metallic knocking noise in the engine.

Excessive or prolonged knocking can lead to engine damage related to the pistons, rods, cylinder walls, etc.
Also not sure why the lay person thinks they know better than the engineers. :confuzzled:

and if you had an engine issue... you're looking at roughly $6k and up for just a replacement

I have an 08 coupe, and a 14 Si Sedan, and had a 12 Si Sedan.

Get a 14 Si Sedan. I promise you that you will be extremely happy with the choice. If you test drive and fall in love, you will stay in love with it. There isn't anything that wears off, especially coming from a Rodeo.

......The front-end was somewhat visually "bothersome" initially, but I'm beginning to like it more and more. "Not sure where Honda got the design cues" but they actually do work, you just have to look at the overall effect.......

I know it's not 'exactly' like the recently popular BMW layered "air current" design but to me it's very reminiscent. Though functional on the BMW's it channels air into the front air dam and exits to the outside wheels to reduce the cars drag coefficient. I think that's where Honda got there "inspiration."

airdam design.JPG

Back