DIY Console LED Lighting

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
I was looking to add some lighting, but didn't want to add too much like some footwell ambient light kits do. I just wanted to lighten up the dark tray area near the gear shifter. The way this is hooked up, the light will turn on automatically when the key is turned to the forward position and will stay on until the key is turned to the off position. I think I spent about 40 bucks in all, but 20 was for a brand new soldering iron. I still have lots of the LED light strip left. I bought a 1' strip of blue LEDs and cut the strip to the smallest possible length: 3 lights

So, to get started take out the 2 screws located on the underside of the plastic cover (see the College Hills Honda "How to" video below) and then you can begin to slowly, but firmly pull off the front cover. Get one side loose and then pull firmly from the bottom. I didn't have a proper trim tool (available at CHH for about $8) so I used a wooden paint stir stick to get some leverage on the sides to get a handhold. It is a good idea to put masking tape on the sides of your plastic when using the paint stir stick so as to protect the plastic. Once you have the cover off you will need to pinch the plastic holders and detach both plugs. In the photo below you can see that I have already cut the wire of the 12 volt plastic plug and removed it. Start the video at 35 seconds and watch up to 1 minute 04 seconds.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpwWiwdku3w&feature=player_embedded

cons1.sized.jpg

Here you can see the 4 attachments on the back that hold the cover snug and the 2 plugs: 12 volt (silver) and the AUX (blue).

cons2.sized.jpg

An old dog can new learn new tricks. I had never soldered anything before, but it's incredibly simple. I bought a soldering iron for about $20. I soldered the two wires, picked up at a local electronics place, to the connections on the LED strip light. Here's a "how to" solder video if you are like me and need to learn the basics.
Start video at 1:07 and watch up to 5:47 for soldering tips and techniques.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrmKpUaGvOM&feature=player_embedded

This is a close up of the LED light strip. You can see there are 6 lights showing. I cut this strip to use only 3 lights which provides plenty of light. You can cut these strips to any length you like. You just cut between any 4 black dots (every 3 lights). In this picture you see the 4 black dots in the middle of the strip shown here. The two black dots at the end is where you solder your wires. These two dots are clearly indicated as positive and negative.

cons3.sized.jpg

I drilled a small hole in the back right corner of the plastic cover and fed the wire through.
cons4.sized.jpg

I used a small strip of 3M tape to stick and hold the light firmly in position. Here you can see how little of the 1 foot LED strip I used (3 lights). You can see the 12 volt plastic plug that I cut and removed at the beginning as well as the 2 grommets I used to attach the wiring. The two sets of wires need to be attached to the split 12 volt wires that are in the console and "hot". Attach all 3 positive wires and all 3 negative wires and use the grommets to attach. After wiring is securely twisted into the grommets wrap them with electrical tape to be double sure that these connections will hold for the long run.
cons5.sized.jpg

cons6.sized.jpg

cons7.jpg

GRROOOOOVY BABY!!!!!

cons8.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks iluvmycsx
BTW...I love the CSX rims. Would love to put those on Blue one day if I can find a nice used pair.
These....2007-acura-csx-type-s- rims.jpg
Think I will ask MrsJrotax101 to photoshop them to my ride for me. :)

Just what I was looking for. Pauly your DIY's are making me jealous lol

But, where did you get the 'power' from? Did I miss where you said where you connected it? Thanks!

Just what I was looking for. Pauly your DIY's are making me jealous lol

But, where did you get the 'power' from? Did I miss where you said where you connected it? Thanks!
Thanks!
When you take off the panel (pull from the bottom with your fingers only) you will see the two connectors. You will be splicing your two LED wires (red power and black ground) into the wire of the the 12 volt wires (the plug on the right). My LED light strip works off of 12 volts so I was good to go. Just make sure that your LEDS are not a lower power rating (ex. 4 volt). If they are lower you would need to add a resistor onto or of the wires before the lights. You should be oky though if you use a light strip......most of them run on 12 volts.

Thanks!
When you take off the panel (pull from the bottom with your fingers only) you will see the two connectors. You will be splicing your two LED wires (red power and black ground) into the wire of the the 12 volt wires (the plug on the right). My LED light strip works off of 12 volts so I was good to go. Just make sure that your LEDS are not a lower power rating (ex. 4 volt). If they are lower you would need to add a resistor onto or of the wires before the lights. You should be oky though if you use a light strip......most of them run on 12 volts.

Ah! okay, I might do this but instead I'll use an add-a-circuit and a switch, I don't care for the LED's being on all the time. But thanks for the DIY and the tip.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just need to find the fuse and put the add-a-circuit there. But I like total control, so I'd rather put a switch so I can turn it off or on whenever I want.

hey Pauly99to17, would these work: http://www.amazon.com/Hitlights-Flexible-Ribbon-Adapter-included/dp/B005MSAKZK/ref=pd_cp_hi_2
Ya, you're going to have a lot of extra lights! Ha ha... Do you already have a ambient light kit for the foot wells? If not you could wire these up at the same time. Ya, good idea to add to fuse that works only when exterior lights are turned on....don't ask me which one that is though.... AlienPrime might be able to help you out though.

I now have mine hooked up to a button switch. Have you seen this DIY ...????
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/door-storage-compartment-lights.6900/

Last edited:
Ya, you're going to have a lot of extra lights! Ha ha... Do you already have a ambient light kit for the foot wells? If not you could wire these up at the same time. Ya, good idea to add to fuse that works only when exterior lights are turned on....don't ask me which one that is though.... AlienPrime might be able to help you out though.

yeah you can easily run #18awg wire and put a switch on it :)

Yeah I saw that. I just ordered the add-a-circuit and now I just need to order a switch. Well right now my aftermarket ambient kit taps into the power of the center console 12v plug, so the lights work at all times, I just have to turn them on of course. That's what I want to do with this, be able to turn it on whenever, so I might just tap into the fuse slot for the 12v plug that's by the aux port.

yeah you can easily run #18awg wire and put a switch on it :)

Thanks dude! I'll hit you up if I need some help, cool?

Lol thanks guys! hopefully I can do this sometime soon....lately I've been "eh" about messing with wires lol

Back