Coolant Bypass

12aay_e

Vegas
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
Sedan
Anyone do this yet? I did it to my old car. I know a lot of 8thgen's/k series(because it was so easy) did this.

All you do is connect the coolant line to the throttle body to the return line or just get a longer hose and just connect the feed and return together. (But i just looked and it looks like you can just use one of the longer lines). This is so that no coolant goes to the throttle body, which then means the TB doesn't get heat up by coolant and is there sucking normal "colder air." Rather than air being also warmed up from the coolant. From 8th this made a bigger difference for those who had the TB spacer.

Sorry such a long post lol from what it seems to be a simple idea.

Well looks like I'm doing it tomorrow. Even though my car is stock lol. Colder air = lower IAT's = longer lasting engine

Well looks like I'm doing it tomorrow. Even though my car is stock lol. Colder air = lower IAT's = longer lasting engine
I've never heard of this, but then again I'm not expert car guy either. Make a DIY while you are at it.

saved for updates. (not really)

Last edited:
I already did it. No noticeable difference but just know your IAT's are cooler.

i wouldn't do bypass,honda did that for a reason.

Yeah they did it for the places that stay/currently are cold so the TB doesn't freeze. Why have the air get hotter as it goes into the motor, when you can reduce it?

Probably better lap times for circuit racing. It keeps the TB from overheating.

One of the main points of the coolant going to the throttle body is to keep it warm during the winter or colder conditions so it would not freeze up and fail. Many car manufacturers use this method because they build every car so they can work on different conditions. But for people who live in warmer areas have to deal with the TB getting too hot resulting a 'low level' heat stroke. I would do the bypass if I'm circuit racing, dd'ing during the summer, or when the temperature is above freezing.

Last edited:
And I don't think the coolant in the TB 'warms up the air' to maintain a proper air/fuel ratio. That's the MAF and MAP sensors' job.

And I don't think the coolant in the TB 'warms up the air' to maintain a proper air/fuel ratio. That's the MAF and MAP sensors' job.

It does warm up the air but yes thats the MAP and MAF's job since it reads air intake and air temp for A/F

Back