#$#@#!@ Cracked windshield today :(

Darkk

Yep, gotta love California roads out here. This is actually the second time it has happened to me in 6 months. First time it happened on my 2009 Honda CRV and now 2012 Civic Hybrid. It chipped enough in the windshield that I had to fill it in with silicone until I get it replaced.

Come on CalTrans!! Fix these roads!

Ok, just got done with my rant.

caused by a stone thrown from a car ahead of you, or?

It happens when crumbled pieces of asphalt gets kicked up by the cars so yes. I was very careful to keep great distance from the car ahead of me but I guess it happened when somebody was passing me in the other lane. Damn rocks.

That sucks man, I'm sorry.... I just had a rock hit my windshield about 2 weeks ago. Thought I was a goner the way it sounded, but fortunately it just left 2 pits on my windshield.

I have to say that the windshields in the Civics are tough. I've taken a few pretty big hits and other than maybe a small pit, it hasn't cracked. Now that I've said that, I know what to expect on the way home.

Yep. The windshield on the Civics are pretty durable but the problem is once it is pitted to the point any big changes in temperatures will create stress cracks which is what happened to me. It was cool during the day but when it dropped 15 degrees overnight it was enough to cause it.

Sucks but that's life as a commuter tho.

Small cracks can be fixed for cheap with resin at most windshield stores. Shape and size of the crack/chip determine if possible or not. If possible I would opt for the resin approach cheaper and the windshield is as good as new afterwards.

When I had my Jeep I was getting hits all the time, and I'm religious about staying back. Like you said, someone passing and crossing lanes is hard to stop. I once got a stone from a truck going the other way, the tyre held the stone too long and shot it forward, had to be, we were the only two on the road.

I have to say that the windshields in the Civics are tough. I've taken a few pretty big hits and other than maybe a small pit, it hasn't cracked. Now that I've said that, I know what to expect on the way home.

I dunno about that...

I am on windshield number 2 in 5 years and I am gonna have to get in changed in a few months... I have so many small chips and nicks its getting hard to see out off and the only way to fix it is resin the whole windshield...

Be nice if the windshield is made out of a large diamond. lol. Actually, Corning Gorilla glass could work better than normal glass it is very scratch resistant. Probably cost alot more tho.

I haven't replaced mine yet and the crack hasn't reached over to my driver's side. Probably will next month and with my luck another mysterious flying rock may hit again.

Be nice if the windshield is made out of a large diamond. lol. Actually, Corning Gorilla glass could work better than normal glass it is very scratch resistant. Probably cost alot more tho.

I haven't replaced mine yet and the crack hasn't reached over to my driver's side. Probably will next month and with my luck another mysterious flying rock may hit again.
I wonder if your Corning Gorilla glass can be had as a replacement fit ? Get the insurance to cover the stock cost and you/we cover the extra cost for the CG glass.

I just got my front windshield replaced yesterday.

Because of this (it spread a bit tho)

bcFLjCT.jpg

gorilla glass is found on smart phones. This was mentioned about it -

==
According to Corning's Kelli Hopp-Michlosky, the glass -- first known as Chemcor -- was shopped around to a variety of likely users without success. "We tried the automobile windshield market, but the glass was too strong for windshields," she says. "And we couldn't find any other application at the time, not even the military. I think there were a lot of ideas, but nothing took hold, no market really developed for it."

gorilla glass is found on smart phones. This was mentioned about it -

==
According to Corning's Kelli Hopp-Michlosky, the glass -- first known as Chemcor -- was shopped around to a variety of likely users without success. "We tried the automobile windshield market, but the glass was too strong for windshields," she says. "And we couldn't find any other application at the time, not even the military. I think there were a lot of ideas, but nothing took hold, no market really developed for it."

I guess the NHTSA would rather us go through a windshield than smash our skulls on it. :omg:

It wasn't on the way home, but about two weeks after I posted this I got a chip in the windshield that will need resin to fix. There is a small star around the impact point. That was the same weekend someone backed into the car. Hopefully that's it for awhile. Lol

That sucks. I really shouldn't comment though, cause with my luck this will happen to me tomorrow.

Oooohhh... I have a small chip in mine. Like the third one. The windshield on the Civic just doesn't stand up to anything. Then again, what did you say about California roads? Most recent from where? Oh yeah...north side of Shasta Lake...CALIFORNIA.

Oooohhh... I have a small chip in mine. Like the third one. The windshield on the Civic just doesn't stand up to anything. Then again, what did you say about California roads? Most recent from where? Oh yeah...north side of Shasta Lake...CALIFORNIA.

Yuuuup!! Join the club. Someday....when Caltrans actually does something the roads out here will be fixed. Meanwhile glass companies will continue to make money off of us..lol

Back