DIY Disassemble a Glow Shift gauge

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
So I wanted a small LED panel temperature readout. I could only find a really expensive one online and I know Glow Shift make digital gauges. I thought perhaps I could take one apart and use the LED panel from inside of it. I already have a Glow Shift gauge and I was hoping to be able to reuse the wiring harness for an easy plug and play.

That did not work out.

However, here is how to take your Glow Shift gauge apart.

This is what I bought:

13_GS_BD_Trans_Temp_Main.jpg

The outer ring is simply crimped over the underlying gauge bucket. You could probably remove it very carefully and reinstall it. I was planning on destroying the whole thing anyway so I was not concerned.

wgpb2d.jpg

Just pry along the edge until you are able to lift the outer ring off. Its really really soft. Its only as thick as a soda can. Very easy to bend.

2i8w1sh.jpg

Once the outer ring is off you can remove the plastic lens. That will expose the face and guts of the gauge in the bucket.

20h6pds.jpg

The gauge itself just lifts out of the bucket. You will have to undo two small nuts on the back. You can see them sitting by the tools I used. You can remove them right out of the box. I had done it earlier to see if you could unscrew the gauge or push it from the outside. You cannot.

kf0do2.jpg

The gauge face is just a sticker that peels off. It has tabs around the edge to line it up if you want to put it back on. You can now see the LED cluster that I want in the center.

izqqvn.jpg

If you flip the gauge over at this point you can see the circuit board on the back. The black ring is held on by two small screws that are pretty easy to remove. I already took one out. They are on the small black diagonal arms. Not the posts on the right and left. Those are the screws that stick out the back of the gauge for mounting. Removing the two black screws lets this ring come off of the circuit board.

5trhvc.jpg

Ring removed. You can see that the circuit board is a continuous layer in the center of the gauge.

2z50jfo.jpg

The height ring on the front slips right off. There is the LED module I wanted. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to remove it from the circuit board and use it the way i want to. The circuit is too large for what I was planning and removing the module and trying to wire up all the pins is beyond what I want to attempt.

ngublv.jpg

So thats how you take apart a Glow Shift digital gauge. This is all thats inside of it:

2s9q1bs.jpg

Yes, I wasted $55 on a gauge that I destroyed but eh, it was worth a shot. Hopefully anyone else thinking about some custom gauge work can look at this and decide if they can use the guts in their project.

PS - If anyone has use for this piece or parts or you just want to muck around with it, shoot me a message and Ill drop it in the mail to you. Free. Im already making new plans and ordering something different.

@ethlar didn't you have the temp added to the stock display on the 8th gen?

i did, but it turned out that not all LX clusters were created equal, some could take the input and others couldnt.

@Nix since you already pulled the gauge apart, you could desolder the actual display from the board and mount the display where you want it, run the 8 or so wires from the board to the pins on the display itself and make it work

Reactions: Nix
a readout giving you the exterior temperature....weather temp?

Oh yeah, sorry, forgot to mention, transmission fluid temperature. I already have the needle style gauge hooked up and working but its too big to mount anywhere inconspicuous.

...you could desolder the actual display from the board and mount the display where you want it, run the 8 or so wires from the board to the pins on the display itself and make it work

I'd love to but.... I'm not good enough to be able to do that successfully. Hahaha, I know when I'm beat.

If you want drop it in a padded envelope to me, ill pull it apart and send it back

Back