Exploding rear windshield!

jjlilly13

b7ac6999541990dac7fe967c94955abc.jpg

6dc7920e3737e3cee1d5369f6cc894ed.jpg

ed7598bb97af38a6119e991cc5046e27.jpg

So this is how my Monday starts. Started the car early because the windshields are frozen, turned on the defrost for front and rear. All of a sudden it sounds like my car backfires, and I mean loud. It's a 2014 si sedan?! How is this thing back firing?, nope I walk around the back to find that the back windshield has blown out!

those defrosters are trouble

I had my LX for a week, brand new, and I turned on the sideview mirror defrosters and my drivers side mirror shattered

Did you have the sound volume turned up all the way?

It's happened to a few people in the past. Very few though. I absolutely believe you that this happened from the rear defroster. Unfortunately I don't think you'll have any luck with warranty replacement just due to the placement of the hole. On first look it would appear that "something" was thrown through the window. Also there are so few cases of this that it would be hard to get anyone to believe that the defroster caused it. Give your dealership a call, and be nice, and they might be able to work with you on it. I doubt they would fully cover it but, perhaps if you paid for parts they would cover labor or something like that.

The few people who did manage to get theirs covered had the cracks along the side of the glass where the heating element connectors are. Really just crap luck. I've heard the rear glass is a bit expensive due to the heating lines but is less than most peoples insurance deductible. Check out pricing. You may be better off paying for it yourself completely. Totally sucks man.

06-11 rear glass shattered from heating element:

2vdgzkz.jpg

So I took it to the dealership and they have put in a call to Honda to get approval to cover it with warranty. Hopefully it goes through, if not I have a $0 deductible on my insurance. One way or another I'm covered. @Michal006 I didn't even have the radio on when it happened.

That sucks, at least your going to be covered in some fashion. I've never heard of this type of thing occurring before.

I have a question...... Have the rear windows been tinted with aftermarket tint? Or have any of these not been tinted?
Also I remember reading in the manual( I think) about not leaving the window heater on for "long" periods of time(whatever that time means).

I have a question...... Have the rear windows been tinted with aftermarket tint? Or have any of these not been tinted?
Also I remember reading in the manual( I think) about not leaving the window heater on for "long" periods of time(whatever that time means).

Does seem to have been tinted, hence why the glass is everywhere.

It was tinted and the dealership said it say too dark to pass it on a state inspection so they had to scrape it. That is a completely different debacle that I won't go into on this thread. I only had the defroster on for about 5 minutes, the entire glass wasn't even fully defrosted when it happened.

Day three and still waiting to hear whether Honda is going to cover it, I feel like I should have been given a rental at this point.

Awesome! Now i'll be careful with that rear defroster...maybe the heating element just produced too much resistance through the lines or something..?

Back