First time winter driver need advice !

Stonetrooper

Ill be driving my Civic sedan purchased in San Diego in the snow and winter of Montana this upcoming season.. What should be my first step? I have read and understand there is a lot of talk about tire pressure monitoring systems and if you change the rim you have to get tpms systems for the new rims. I have whatever tires came on the Civic from the dealership.. I believe there firestone Eco gas efficient or something. I need winter tires and some advice! Where do I start?

Since you are a rookie with snow/ice, get winter tires. The biggest issue where people get into trouble is driving too fast for conditions. Slow down.

Your first snow, go to a deserted parking lot and do donuts and assorted flooring, slamming on brakes, attempting a tight turn, etc. to learn what your car can and can't do. You'll be shocked on how little traction is there

-Keith
'11 WRX (31k mi) & '99 2.3CL (41k mi)

Well other than actually driving in the snow, what way can or should I go about improving traction on my civy ? Wont my tmps get all messed up if I change tires?

Snow tires and the car may allow tires chains (check manual)

TPMS is attached to the wheel not the tire. You can change tires without issue. As for sensors malfunctioning? Nah, they will be fine with other tires, just run the tire pressures.

The sensors are on optional piece to the car; without them you'll just have the dash light on. I don't even run the sensors on my summer wheels.

-Keith
'11 WRX (31k mi) & '99 2.3CL (41k mi)

If you are able to use them in your state Invest in Studded tires, they will definitely help you out when conditions become icy. The best advice I can give you about winter driving is to use caution and leave yourself enough time to get where you are going safely. 10 minutes can seriously save your life. If you are finding traction to be a problem try putting a couple sand bags in the trunk, I have never had to do this, and trust me, I drive in some serious snow, and have not gotten mine stuck. I drive a 2012 Civic Si with Michelin X-Ice II's and a 2012 Civic LX Auto with the stock all season tires on it. Neither have been stuck and I have not felt unsafe. Best thing to do is take your time.

I think ill pick up a pair of winter tires and then hopefully for the summer Ill be able to throw some fresh white rims on those bad boys.. Is there any negatives as to having the light sensor on the dash illuminated? I heard vsa is automatically turned on and you get an indicator on the Imid.. Im not trying to burn out and race around or anything just don't want an indicator on my IMid :shadyhat:

If you are able to use them in your state Invest in Studded tires, they will definitely help you out when conditions become icy. The best advice I can give you about winter driving is to use caution and leave yourself enough time to get where you are going safely. 10 minutes can seriously save your life. If you are finding traction to be a problem try putting a couple sand bags in the trunk, I have never had to do this, and trust me, I drive in some serious snow, and have not gotten mine stuck. I drive a 2012 Civic Si with Michelin X-Ice II's and a 2012 Civic LX Auto with the stock all season tires on it. Neither have been stuck and I have not felt unsafe. Best thing to do is take your time.
Wonder if my subwoofer would help as additional weight. ? :confuzzled:

You have two civics? Thats down

Also, cut the speed limit by at least half when you're driving in the snow. Slowing down is harder to do than speeding up.

take a look at this thread
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/a...-season-tires-enough-for-winter-driving.2791/

Where in montana will you be specifically? You can swap winter tires on your stock rims and you will have no tpms light on the dash. The light will not harm anything being on. As others said, the best thing is to just slow down. Stopping distances are the biggest thing in snow. You'll also find that depending on where you're at in Montana... they'll be plowing/salting roads.

are you around Kalispell currently? Any reason for the move?

Good snow tires, I suggest general altimax artic, drive slower than normal and a empty parking lot is your best friend on learning what your car does in the snow...

make sure you hit up glacier nat. park (if you haven't already?)!!

unC6Y.jpg

Wl6wQ.jpg

zOpn1.jpg

Back