knife cuter
Socket wrench size 8mm and 10mm
Tongue and groove plier
Metal sheet cuter
Flat head screw driver
20 ft 8 guage wire
Shrink tube
8 Grage Ring terminal connectors
#8 - #2 Str Offset Terminal Lug (HomeDepot)
Sand paper

Start step, disconnect battery from ground terminal.

xu4b86Y.sized.jpg
From the photo, we will install all new Wires connect to ground.

1/ Ground -> Chassis near driver side headlight (optional, It come stock already)
2/ Chassis -> Engine mount
3/ Ground -> Alternator
4/ Ground -> Cylinder head
5/ Ground -> Throttle Body
6/ Ground -> Transmission

alZeWB9.jpg
IrN9lo2.jpg

Get a knife cuter to strip wires about half inch. Insert striped wire in the connector. Use plier to clamp wire and connector. You can also do soldering if you like.

qj5YxHV.jpg

This is ground wire to throttle body

4E6T6IP.jpg

Use a sand paper to remove paint from the chassis (#2 wire).

gWHyZru.jpg

This is how they look under engine cover

LiJtO7o.jpg

Put shrink tube on wires. Strip ground cables about 1.5" then insert into the copper offset terminal. Use flat head screw driver to clamp those wire down. I reuse stock terminal nut that already come with the car.

IKajeVN.sized.jpg

Another chassis location need to be sand.

H8omB0I.sized.jpg

Use tie strips to secue ground wires together. Reconnect ground terminal to battery. Done!

Please idle the car for 15 minutes for ECU to relearn again.

Last edited:
I have seen several photos of cars in Thailand with many wires like you have done here. I was always curious what they were for.
Can you explain how these ground wires help to produce extra HP and torque. I don't understand. Thanks.

These ground wires provides direct ground path from battery negative to chassis, and engine components to improve electrical circulation. That include spark plugs, injectors and so on.
Better sparks from spark plugs will increase power. If power drops because of poor electrical circulation, they get less sparks. Direct ground wire should prevent that from happening.
Stable fuel deliver system from injectors keep them running at optimal performance too.
Alternator charges more efficiently and quicker because of direct ground current.
So far, the engine start easier and idle much smoother. You will notice right away when you start driving again. The car feel a little more responsive but still too early to call. I need to do some more driving.

Hmm. The whole sysyem is a circuit. Some things are positive switched some are negative switched. Aren't you afraid your circumventing the circuit by adding multiple ground paths?

Hmm. The whole sysyem is a circuit. Some things are positive switched some are negative switched. Aren't you afraid your circumventing the circuit by adding multiple ground paths?
Stock ground paths are still there. Additional ground paths are added for more efficient. It been a week after installed. So far so good.

$25?
Probably a lot cheaper to have the needed parts because it's all bought in bulk.

Let's say it costs Honda an additional $40 when you factor in the very inexpensive parts and the expensive labour (this job looks so quick to do I didn't add much money for labour), wouldn't that be a worthwhile investment to make the car run smoother and with better fuel economy etc.?

If it did cost $40, that'd equate to around 10 million dollars a year for the civic to be done (based on yearly civic sales).

Yeah, when dealing in volume, the cost at the micro level is largely irrelevant. It is all about adding value that the customer is willing to pay for. Their cost of $40 could easily equate to an increased cost of $100 on the car. They will base the sales price of the car on all kinds of information and design the car around what the consumer is willing to pay. This would not exactly be something the vast majority of potential buyers would rank above many other options as far as added value.

Behind battery about 2 feet deep. You will see a wire with bolt.

OCD Alert.....:D
One thing I'd suggest for anyone that wants to do this........ use the proper color for"ground" wires, according to the cars wiring schematics.

Reactions: Nix
@RobSBP #2 is already there on the EX. Looks like 8 stranded already. Is the image here the one your are suggesting for the transmission? This already has a ground to the chassis?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417871346.927474.jpg

Back