Help with diagnosing car problem

mazda_lexus

My 2002 Lexus ES300 won't start. I'm assuming it's the starter and not the battery or alternator because I turn the key and all the lights and radio work. After figuring out I can hit the starter to try to get it to work, that made it start. Does the alternator need to be looked at as well?
I'm wanting to replace the starter but I wanna be sure the alternator isn't the issue either because my wife and I are gonna drive the Lexus to NorCal and switch it with another one of our cars. Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the alternator wasn't charging the battery you wouldn't have had lights and radio. Sounds like just the starter to me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I own a 9th gen SI coupe and I'm not sure if there's already a thread for this but for owning the car for about 2 years now, after about maybe a year passed and I've been hearing these weird noises.

Have a series of questions about unusual annoying noises: the first noise is the process of starting the car, clutch in and push to start, as I'm releasing the clutch once the car is already on, I hear a noise that sounds like gears grinding, also the car is not in gear as it was started in neutral. I was wondering what causes it and has anyone heard a similar noise in the starting process of the vehicle ?

Second question, as I engage in 1st gear or 2nd gear even, as I'm releasing clutch sometimes you will hear a sort of metal on metal scraping noise. I have thought it to be the motor mounts could be loose and the motor is rocking back and forth. I tightened the bolts on the upper mount but the noise continues to occur, any help or suggestions ??? Thank you, in advance!!

I own a 9th gen SI coupe and I'm not sure if there's already a thread for this but for owning the car for about 2 years now, after about maybe a year passed and I've been hearing these weird noises.

Have a series of questions about unusual annoying noises: the first noise is the process of starting the car, clutch in and push to start, as I'm releasing the clutch once the car is already on, I hear a noise that sounds like gears grinding, also the car is not in gear as it was started in neutral. I was wondering what causes it and has anyone heard a similar noise in the starting process of the vehicle ?

Second question, as I engage in 1st gear or 2nd gear even, as I'm releasing clutch sometimes you will hear a sort of metal on metal scraping noise. I have thought it to be the motor mounts could be loose and the motor is rocking back and forth. I tightened the bolts on the upper mount but the noise continues to occur, any help or suggestions ??? Thank you, in advance!!

I don't know the answer to the first question but the second there are multiple threads about. The Springs on the clutch plate are loose so when you engage the clutch it vibrates and creates that "metal grinding" sound.

Do you still have a warranty? Some have had their clutch replaced for free when springs were found to be broken on the clutch.

I believe so, got to go back to the dealer then and find out, also have had battery problems as well. Aren't warranty's usually valid for 2 years @webby ?

I believe so, got to go back to the dealer then and find out, also have had battery problems as well. Aren't warranty's usually valid for 2 years @webby ?

Standard is:
3yr/36k miles on car and 5yr/60k on powertrain.

They also offer numerous other upgrades for longer periods.

Standard is:
3yr/36k miles on car and 5yr/60k on powertrain.

They also offer numerous other upgrades for longer periods.

Perfect, I'm sure I have the 3 yr/36k, I fall under that so I'm going to make phone calls tomorrow for an appointment w the dealership thanks @webby @FreeSamples

Last edited:
Do you still have a warranty? Some have had their clutch replaced for free when springs were found to be broken on the clutch.

@webby I went to the Honda dealer service center about the clutch and battery problem to see if it fell under warranty, my car currently has about 30k miles and they said the clutch was a wear and tear problem and did not fall under warranty, along with my battery problem as well, they said it passed the test so it also did not fall under warranty either. Mind you, my battery the past 2 days had died a total of 5 times where I had to jump start it all 5 times...the rep. then brought up a point that the clutch is needed to start the vehicle obviously and my clutch is believed to have broken springs from my experiences with the metal scraping noise as I engage in 1st gear. Any insight or suggestions on what I should do next? As I'm currently sitting in the waiting area of the Honda service center.

Battery warranty:

Batteries
  • Warranty: Honda Genuine Replacement Batteries are covered by a 100 month prorated warranty.
  • Proration Schedule: During the first 3 years of service – A defective replacement battery will be replaced at no cost to the customer with a new Honda Genuine Replacement Battery and installation.
  • After the first 3 years of service – A prorated credit, based on years of service, will be applied toward the purchase of a new Honda Genuine Replacement Battery and the owner is responsible for the installation expense.
  • No cash reimbursement will be made.
  • The credit is calculated as follows: (Usage in Months)
  • 0-36 = FREE
  • 37-45 = 60%
  • 46-55 = 50%
  • 56-65 = 40%
  • 66-75 = 30%
  • 76-85 = 20%
  • 86-95 = 10%
  • 96-100 = 0%

What I've been told here by the rep is that it "passed the test" therefore nothing is wrong with the battery so it cannot be replaced..also in order to get a replacement battery the battery has to go through the test and it HAS TO FAIL in order to get the "fail slip" for warranty to cover a new battery..so I'm a bit frustrated because this is my 3rd time here and im going to have to leave the dealership again today without anything being resolved for the 3rd time!! @webby do you think It is even worth it to show her the battery warranty policy you had just sent ? Thank you so much in advance!

Go to a place like autozone and ask to have the battery tested. See what their results are if you're able. It takes like a matter of minutes. If it really has repeatedly failed, something is definitely up.

I will have to try autozone.
I showed them the links you had sent me and they told me some bs, I feel as if they're trying their hardest not to help me out...she told me something like the noise in the clutch that everyone is hearing can be symptoms of something else and that the forums don't give any type of proof and they had even test driven it and told me they heard the same noise that I have been explaining to them...now I'm questioning what is the point of warranty if I'm not going to get anything resolved and just sit here wasting my time...

I will have to try autozone.
I showed them the links you had sent me and they told me some bs, I feel as if they're trying their hardest not to help me out...she told me something like the noise in the clutch that everyone is hearing can be symptoms of something else and that the forums don't give any type of proof and they had even test driven it and told me they heard the same noise that I have been explaining to them...now I'm questioning what is the point of warranty if I'm not going to get anything resolved and just sit here wasting my time...
@webby

how far away is the next closest dealership? Or, what dealership are you at? It's a long shot, but someone local may work at a dealer that could help you.

I'm at Passaic Honda dealership which is where I bought the vehicle. Well, they are connected with another Honda dealer which is located maybe about a mile or 2 away which is called garden state Honda in Clifton which is where I actually bought the car but they don't have a service center so they sent me to Passaic location.

Back