HFP coupe suspension on my 2013 sedan

dellfive

Vehicle Model
civic SI
Body Style
sedan
So I heard that the HFP coupe suspension would fit on the 2013 sedan si…
So I bought the kit and it worked great... (aside from a slightly more dramatic drop in the rear)

3 years later my rear struts are knocking/leaking and need to be replaced... (guessing the weight of the sedan wore em out a bit quicker as they’re designed for the lighter coupe)
The rest of the HFP kit is still working great on my sedan...
My question is, if I just replace the rear the worn out rear struts... what should I replace them with?

I feel like if I put the HFPs back on they may wear out again...

Should I go with the standard si struts?
Maybe some aftermarket ones for lowered suspension?

appreciate the advice!
Thanks

truhart is one of the few companies making aftermarket struts/shocks if you don't want to go with oem. People who have used them seem to be quite happy. I would also replace everything at once versus just the bad rear shocks you have.

Hmmm, well I’m specifically trying to avoid replacing the rest ... wasn’t cheep
Maybe I’m overlooking some less obvious draw backs...?
But to me it seems like getting a pair of standard sedan si struts would do the job ... not sure if it would be a better idea to get a pair of aftermarket sedan struts (tokicos or tiens ... maybe truhart) better suited to ride at that height (1.5 inch drop from stock) in the rear)

So the rear is just a spring and a shock. The front is a strut assembly with the spring around the shock body. Center 2 items are the front struts and the outside pieces are the rear springs and shocks.

1615336168187.jpeg

I’m guessing your two rear shocks are leaking? If that’s all you want to replace, then get two truhart shocks designed for your car. They’re designed for lowered cars.

If you only need the rear, I remember seeing the rear HFP shocks for sale for around 160 for each side. I just tried looking for the part number but having some difficulty. Maybe someone else can help?

Can i ask how many miles you drove on your HFP setup?

I also just installed the hfp suspension on my 2014 civic (just a base model) and was hoping maybe I can get 5 years off of it as I did with the stock suspension :hail:

So the rear is just a spring and a shock. The front is a strut assembly with the spring around the shock body. Center 2 items are the front struts and the outside pieces are the rear springs and shocks.

View attachment 62616

I’m guessing your two rear shocks are leaking? If that’s all you want to replace, then get two truhart shocks designed for your car. They’re designed for lowered cars.
Yeah I get the shocks and struts terms mixed up ...
But yeah I just need the shocks in the back.

If you only need the rear, I remember seeing the rear HFP shocks for sale for around 160 for each side. I just tried looking for the part number but having some difficulty. Maybe someone else can help?

Can i ask how many miles you drove on your HFP setup?

I also just installed the hfp suspension on my 2014 civic (just a base model) and was hoping maybe I can get 5 years off of it as I did with the stock suspension :hail:
I think it’s been about 35...seem pretty short... not sure what the expected duration is for these

so just want to confirm my intuition:
In general it’s best to have a matching kit for front and back ideally all new ...
but if I want to save money for now I can replace just the rear shocks
And Because of the lower ride hight from the hfp suspension rear springs ... I shouldn’t get stock si shocks, I should get a pair of aftermarket shocks that are designed for a lower ride hight and the sedan weight ... any new quality shock that fits that criteria will do...
am I missing anything?

I would get truharts over oem since truharts are designed for lowered vehicles. Your hfp springs are stiffer and shorter than si oem. Replace your shocks in pairs (fronts at the same time or rears at the same time), or all at once.

I would get truharts over oem since truharts are designed for lowered vehicles. Your hfp springs are stiffer and shorter than si oem. Replace your shocks in pairs (fronts at the same time or rears at the same time), or all at once.
That makes sense Thanks!
im considering the truharts and if they do the job I’ll be satisfied but since I’m just getting just rear shocks I figured I can afford to look at the more expensive brands ... that is if there’s much of a difference in ride quality or durability
Do you think it would be worth the extra cash to go with a more expensive shock?

Last edited:
...Also I noticed the truharts tend to sell in sets of 4 ... haven’t found where to buy just the rear

the truharts are like $230 for a set of 4, and you're trying to save money.. ...but then asking about buying running konis on the rear alone for like $330? :hmmm?:

well yeah ... am I being ridiculous?
that’s a big difference... I’m guessing there’s a difference in ride quality and or durability even if it’s just in the back.

I can afford 4 truharts but only need 2 ... I can’t afford 4 koni’s but I only need 2
I still like the ride quality of the hfp kit (which wasn’t cheep)
I figured if the koni’s are that much better I’ll get two now and maybe later when the fronts go I’ll get two more ‍♂️

definitely interested in peoples opinions on here ... very helpful

thanks for the feedback

Last edited:
Go koni. They are known for being excellent. The fronts will not work with koni shocks without modifications to the oem strut. Just know they aren’t plug and play. Redshift motorsports offers the strut modifications as a service. Hit them up for pricing.

That’s good to know...
got a pair of rear koni sports for under $200 ... seems like a good move

let us know if the car drives any difference with the hfps on the fronts and the konis on the rear. You are keeping the hfp springs for the rear right?

let us know if the car drives any difference with the hfps on the fronts and the konis on the rear. You are keeping the hfp springs for the rear right?
Yeah... rear hfp springs are staying
When I get the koni shocks on I’ll let you know how it rides

Back