Honda Civic SI one of the 10 most memorable steering wheels....

clevrname

The steering wheel is one of the first things you see when you enter a car's cabin, and it's a part of the car that you constantly interface with during the driving experience. The best ones look great and feel even better, working in synergy with the car's themes and motifs to present a consistent message.

They worst ones -- well, they can suck the joy out of your time behind the wheel and blight your overall impression of the vehicle. An example of this is that notorious Camaro steering wheel from a couple years back, which was so poorly received that Chevy (wisely) saw fit to replace it in 2012 models.
The ten steering wheels listed below (in alphabetical order) are the ones that strike us as being the most memorable, in terms of both form and function.

1: Audi A4
Audi is known for its skill at designing stylish cabins, and the manufacturer also knows a thing or two about crafting a competent steering wheel. Take the A4; the wheel in this car is good-looking, but best of all, it's a pleasure to use -- like butter, it simply melts into your hands.

2: BMW M3
An iconic car like the M3 surely deserves an iconic steering wheel. Thick and meaty in all the right places, this wheel has a spare, no-nonsense charm about it, and it's a joy to hold.

3: Honda Civic Si
You don't have to be some fancy European high-dollar luxury model to offer up a solid steering wheel. Case in point: the Honda Civic Si. This wheel conveys competence through and through, and feels pleasantly substantial in your hands.

4: Lamborghini Aventador
One of the most impressive aspects of the Aventador is its steering wheel. It functions with supreme skill, perfectly complementing this high-performance machine. And with its bold, masculine design, it's no slacker in the form department, either.

5: Mazda Miata
The Miata's wheel is every bit as frisky and accommodating as the much-loved roadster in which it resides. It's easy to use and there's a lightness to its design that mirrors the playful, fun-filled spirit of the Miata itself.

6: McLaren MP4-12C
If any car deserves a racing-inspired steering wheel, it's the McLaren MP4-12C. This exotic beast runs hard and fast and its wheel is a gorgeous and efficient reminder of its incredible performance potential.

7: Mercedes Benz CLS-Class
Mercedes-Benz is another manufacturer that knows how to craft a good steering wheel and the wheel found in the CLS-Class is a perfect example. The wheel feels stout and solid, and is a pleasure to grip.

8: Mini Cooper
The Mini may be frivolous and cutesy in places but get it on the road and it becomes clear that underneath it all is a little car that's loads of fun to drive. Its fleshy, perfectly sized steering wheel reflects this more serious side of the Cooper.

9: Volkswagen GTI
Okay, so this one is admittedly polarizing -- some of our editors love the design, while others assert that a flat-bottomed steering wheel is a poor match for any vehicle meant to navigate the tight turns of city life. What do you think?

10: Volvo S60
It would be quite a letdown if the S60's steering wheel weren't as exquisitely functional and architecturally Scandinavian as the rest of the cabin. Luckily, the wheel doesn't disappoint; it's supremely user-friendly, and its wide face and graphic lines are a perfect match for the car's striking interior.

Source: http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/10/the-list-10-memorable-steering-wheels-.html

I have to agree that the design of the Si steering wheel was excellent. In comparison, the Corvette's steering wheel is a huge disappointment. :bleh:

21cfer5.jpg

When I first got mine, I was like what the crap is up with this thing. Once I got used to it i realized this is how a steering wheels should feel. My Corolla I traded in didn't feel like that :giggle:

I have to agree that the design of the Si steering wheel was excellent. In comparison, the Corvette's steering wheel is a huge disappointment. :bleh:

21cfer5.jpg

due to the fact that it is the same as the cobalt steering wheel? lol The dude that made the decision to do that should be fired!

Ken, I love you. Really. I do. I wish you could have come to the Dragon this year. But Chevy seriously needs to do something about that interior. It's DATED.

love the steering wheel on my SI

due to the fact that it is the same as the cobalt steering wheel? lol The dude that made the decision to do that should be fired!
chevy didn't really go to the cobalt parts bin for the wheel of a corvette did they ? unreal..

When I first got mine, I was like what the crap is up with this thing. Once I got used to it i realized this is how a steering wheels should feel. My Corolla I traded in didn't feel like that :giggle:

I was the same way, WTH is little tiny steering wheel, it's unless... Then after a little bit of driving I love it...

SI wheel is very nice. Pretty cool that it made that list - in some expensive company

The Si wheel would definitely be an improvement, although I could also replace it with this for only $1240 :(

STEERING_WHEEL_C6b.jpg

This one is $500, and comes in a plethora of color combinations.

CorvettePremiumSC-2T.jpg

i guess it's not that big of a deal to me in the end.

The Si wheel would definitely be an improvement, although I could also replace it with this for only $1240 :(

STEERING_WHEEL_C6b.jpg

This one is $500, and comes in a plethora of color combinations.

CorvettePremiumSC-2T.jpg

i guess it's not that big of a deal to me in the end.

You end up paying a lot for the buttons, unfortunately :(

Back