Honda Could Pay You $500 to Take a 'Pintermission'

KennyGS

How may I help?
Keystone State
Automaker targets top users of Pinterest to promote brand, CR-V crossover.

00100065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d9-0000-0000-000000000000_20120425181008_Honda.jpg

Automakers are all about social media these days, hoping that car shoppers will spread the word about their sheet-metal offerings by Liking, Tweeting, Pinning and posting on the multiple sharing platforms that exist.

Ford used Facebook to debut the new Explorer last year and has created a special Facebook page to keep those interested abreast of the Focus Electric. And Lexus came up with an entire “Darkcasting” campaign around the launch of the CT 200h, enlisting social media mavens to create a buzz for the car.

Now Honda is targeting Pinterest users with the launch of its own official page, and is one of a few auto brands to make a big marketing push on the platform. And it wants to pay active Pinterest users $500.

Honda’s "Pintermission" campaign identifies top "pinners" and offers each one $500 to take a 24-hour break from Pinterest to explore some of the places or buy some of the products they've pinned about. So far, two women have been handed checks by Honda and are putting the money toward travel, says Lauren Ebner, American Honda Motor Co.'s assistant manager of social media.

The Honda CR-V is the focus of the Pintermission campaign because the vehicle -- like Pinterest -- has a strong appeal for women. "The car is definitely targeted toward females," Ebner told Advertising Age. "From our research, it seems women are looking for a smaller SUV that drives like a car and has the utility and space they need.”

Ebner says Honda sees the fast-growing Pinterest as “a really good, different, creative outlet for us and a chance to use a visual medium to promote our cars. Most of our images [on Pinterest] link back to Honda.com, and [users] can find out more about the car that way."

Pinterest launched a little over a year ago and has been especially popular with women to post recipes and décor ideas. The site reached 10 million monthly visitors more quickly than Facebook or Twitter, and ranks among the top 30 U.S. sites by total page views, according to Ad Age. ComScore reports that women account for nearly 85 percent of activity on Pinterest. They also linger on the site longer and are from upper-income households.

Very few automakers have staked out a presence on Pinterest so far, nor have they pursued marketing activities on the platform. Volkswagen and Subaru are the first to make forays on the site, and Infiniti and Nissan have reserved handles but no activity. Ad Age found that handles for many other auto companies and brands have already been scooped by squatters.

how about not driving like twats? Small SUV drivers seem to drive like dingbats around here.

"Oh 85 in a 65? thats cool right? OH CRAP OFFRAMP!!!LOOK OUT IM COMING RIgzhT SHHHHTTT HIT THE BRAKESSSSssssss.... whew... hey kids hows that dvd back there?"

Top Automaker adds verbal "you're being a twat" warning in British accent to help the general public drive its cars better.

Now that's something I could get behind.

Top Automaker adds verbal "you're being a twat" warning in British accent to help the general public drive its cars better.

Now that's something I could get behind.

I just about spewed Diet Coke all over my screen when I read that! Oh, that was funny!

Back