Honda Recalling 2012 Civic Over Left Driveshaft

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
2012 Honda Civic Left Driveshaft Recall
image.jpg

Honda Canada is voluntarily recalling approximately 12,587 of its popular 2012 Civics in Canada and about 50,000 Civics in the United States. The carmaker wants to inspect and, if necessary, replace the left driveshaft which may not have been properly pressed into the CV joint during assembly.

If the driveshaft separates from the joint, the engine will no longer propel the vehicle. The company says no accidents or injuries have been reported related to the issue.

Honda says affected owners will be notified by mail beginning later this month and encouraged drivers to take their cars to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification. Owners may also be able to determine if their cars require repair by going to the Honda website or contacting the company.

For Immediate Release

Statement by American Honda Regarding Left Driveshaft Recall: 2012 Honda Civic

TORRANCE, Calif. – June 12, 2012 – Honda will voluntarily recall approximately 50,000 model-year 2012 Civic vehicles in the United States to inspect and, if necessary, replace the left driveshaft. The left (driver’s side) driveshaft in certain vehicles may not have been properly assembled, potentially allowing it to separate from the outer CV joint while in operation. If separation occurs, the engine will no longer propel the vehicle in any gear, and the vehicle may roll away if the parking brake has not been set when the gear selector has been placed in the Park position, increasing the risk of a crash or personal injury. No crashes or injuries have been reported related to this issue.

Honda is announcing this recall to encourage owners of all affected vehicles to take their vehicles to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda. Mailed notification to customers will begin in late-June 2012. In addition to contacting customers by mail, in late-June, owners of these vehicles will be able to determine if their vehicles require repair by going on-line to www.recalls.honda.com or by calling (800) 999-1009, and selecting option 4.

Attachments

• Recall_Press_Recall_Press_Release_0000048.pdf
    42.9 KB · Views: 14
Applies To: 2012 Civic with A/T

BACKGROUND

During manufacturing, a circlip that locks the shaft to the outboard CV joint may not be properly set. If the shaft backs out of the CV joint, the vehicle can’t move in any gear, and it may also roll away when the shift lever is in Park without the parking brake set.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Owners of affected vehicles will receive a notification for this campaign in June 2012.

Apparently it doesn't affect all of the 2012 Civics. I stopped in at the dealer today to inquire about it and possibly set an appointment before they had a backlog. The service advisor looked up my VIN and said mine was not being recalled. While I was there, they gave me a free car wash and I was on my way.

• Staff
correct - it is not every 2012. It pertains to certain civics (non-si models), and certain ones with automatic transmissions.

correct - it is not every 2012. It pertains to certain civics (non-si models), and certain ones with automatic transmissions.

Right, mine is a non-si, auto trans and yet still not on the list. Sounds to me that they may have a period of time in which these cars were produced before they recognized that there may be an issue and made some adjustments during production.

• Staff
yeah, there are only 50k listed in the U.S. recall. They've been selling like ~25k+ or so civics monthly in the US.

Back