DIY How to make a solder joint in wiring

CivicCanuck

North
Vehicle Model
Civic
Added some pictures to my build thread, and figured I should make a DIY on how to make a good solder joint.

wire1.jpg

Tools of the trade: Solder, soldering iron, heat gun, heat shrink tubing in various sizes, electrical tape, wire cutters, wire strippers, olfa knife and 18 gauge primary wire.

wire2.jpg

Strip back about 3/4" of the insulation of the wires you are joining.

wire3.jpg

Install heat shrink tubing over the wire, and twist the bare ends tightly together.

wire4.jpg

This is what the wires should look like when twisted together tightly, with no loose strands, resulting in a connection that you can pull on slightly without the twist coming apart.

wire5.jpg

It is important to clean the tip thoroughly between solder joints, a damp sponge works well for this, I didn't have one but heating the tip up and applying new solder to it before making a joint cleans the tip as well.

wire6.jpg

Apply the clean, hot tip to the wire joint, and let the heat from the tip warm the joint, once the joint has reached the correct temperature, apply solder. In order to make a nice joint that isn't cold, the wire should melt the solder, not the tip.

wire7.jpg

After letting the completed joint cool ( should be nice and shiny, not dull which would indicate a slushy, cold solder joint ) slide the heat shrink tubing over the joint, making sure it's centered and apply heat from heat gun. The completed joint should look nice and smooth, and if you used the correct size heat shrink tubing there should be no gaps between the tubing and the wire jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great DIY , I do this on a daily basis and see one thing that might strengthen the joint. When you twisted(pigtailed) the wire it didn't give optimal contact between the wires. There is nothing wrong with the way you did it since you heated everything up and flowed the solder through.
Next time try not to twist the ends first, take the striped wire ends and push on the ends (like as if you were stabbing something with the wire), that way the wire opens up and seprates . Do this with the other end and push them inside each other. Then twist and solder. This makes the joint thinner and allows contact between each strand. We do a lot of repairs and pull wires back through vs cutting open a whle harness. Either way just a tip and great write up.

Last edited:
I was told to put plenty of solder on the tip of my iron before shutting it off. Let it accumulate, then cool on the tip in a large "blob."

This supposedly makes the tip stay cleaner and not corrode.

Back