i want a bike D:

rain91

Vehicle Model
fb6
Body Style
http://soundcloud.com/lazy_rain
really want a sport bike, looking to buy in the near future when i got enough cash and when insurance wont be as high for me. looking something that maint is a breeze, good reputation, and pretty much reliable overall. been looking at a cbr600 and r6 so far. comments? suggestions ?

Don't do it. You will die or be horribly misfigured. Seriously. I really want one too, I just think they are too dangerous. People drive bad enough as it is. On a bike, you have no protection.

If I didn't work in a hospital and see the aftermath regularly I would have one.

That's all. Other than that, get one! They look wicked fun, but I know nothing about them. Hondas are probably as reliable as their cars.

How much experience do you have riding? Starting on a sport bike is like learning how to drive in a sports car... which is to say a machine developed for those with advanced reflexes honed from years of experience. Work your way up to a sport bike by starting with something like an SV650, Ninja 300/500/650. Oh yeah, take a safety course and wear your safety gear.

none, my buddy has a cbr 600 but for reasons i completely understand, hes not gonna let me learn a little.

but yea imma take the safety course first and then ill come back to what to get. been working the monday i got out of school for the summer and imma be back at school the friday i get out of this damn internship x_o. so i guess ill shoot for next summer to take the class

I agree with dentrecords, start with something small and progress from there. The beautiful thing about starting small is that you can so it for pretty much what you paid for it. I started on a monster 620 and had a blast with it. It was not the fastest but I still had a ton of fun.

@rain91 Im totally in the same boat. I want one too!
Seeing everyone ride theirs around campus looks freaking fun. I think Im gonna try and do the safety course next month and see what happens... I just don't know if I can afford it or not

I plan on getting a bike too. I might get either Honda CBR 600cc, GSXR 600cc or in the worst case scenario SV650 which is very quick too. Bike accidents happen, but there are so many riders that have been riding for many, many, many years and they are still alive. You need to respect your bike and have your eyes around your head. I would also suggest start shopping for a decent gear. Gloves, jacket, pants, boots and helmet.

I'm old-er than you guys and wish someone would have told me what I'm about to tell you when I was your age.

You're probably going to crash.
It cost a lot of money when you crash.
It hurts to crash...like a lot.
Your parents will probably worry themselves an ulcer over this.

Every single person that I know who rode with me crashed, some are maimed for life, no re-do's.

Here is one of my crashes, I was coming into a corner hot and got on the front brakes hard.
Just so happen that there was a few pieces of gravel on the road and when I hit the brake a single rock got wedged between my front tire and the blacktop.
I was pitched onto the pavement so fast that I couldn't really believe that I was crashing (I mean crashing is for the other guy, not me) till I was sliding about 80' down the road.

I had my leather coat on but decided not to wear the bottoms that day because it was too hot. Let me tell you what else is hot, having road rash cleaned out with Hibiclens.

My advice if you haven't already bought one, don't do it.

IMG_2415.JPG

^^

This doesn't scare me at all, I've seen worse. I'd rather do it now whem I'm still single and have no kids instead of getting my first bike when I'm married and with kids.

Everyone I've talked to has told me its still really worth it. Even still, I really don't feel like dying anytime soon!
Thats why I wanna try the basic rider course out and just see, everything is provided so there's no downside to trying it out and see what its about

I've wanted a bike for at least ten years now. Deciding factor against? I live in Chicago. Scares the crap out of me.

If you do decided to buy a bike, take the safety riders course. You'd be surprised the stuff you think you know, but don't

Also, don't buy an expensive first bike, because YOU WILL drop it at least once at some point. Learn of something cheap rather than something $$$

Well I did pretty well at the career fair this year and potentially ive got an interview/co-op lined up later this school year.
So.... now that I'll be getting some steady $$$, I signed up for the safety course. And I have a friend who'd lend me some gear for it.
From my online searching so far, there's plenty of people around selling their 250s for like nothing so I'll aim at getting one of those for this summer, then maybe upgrade after that. I'll have to see how it goes in November when I do the course!!

Well I did pretty well at the career fair this year and potentially ive got an interview/co-op lined up later this school year.
So.... now that I'll be getting some steady $$$, I signed up for the safety course. And I have a friend who'd lend me some gear for it.
From my online searching so far, there's plenty of people around selling their 250s for like nothing so I'll aim at getting one of those for this summer, then maybe upgrade after that. I'll have to see how it goes in November when I do the course!!
Good for you for taking the course! Make sure you budget for gear and all the gear not just a helmet and a jacket. Leather is your best protection and wear it no matter how hot it is or how short the trip is. Master emergency swerving, braking, and accelerating out of trouble after your course. Ride like nobody sees you even, if they look you in the eye. Be proficient and confident and understand lane position. Oh, and stay relaxed and alert - no drinking and riding. Have fun!

Ride like nobody sees you
Unless they ride, or have ridden, they do not see you. Period.

and understand lane position.
This cannot be stressed enough. I want to yell at riders all the time.

I haven't had a bike or ridden in years and miss it dearly, but, honestly, with cell phone use, the thought of it scares the living **** out of me.

Back