k24 motor eats oil again???

Michael Hogains

i have 3891 miles on my civic and the oil life is at 50% and the oil level low light comes on. I bring it in to service and its got only 1 quart of oil in the pan. no leaks nothing. Same problem i had with my 2010 accord coupe k24 motor. That motor was fixed with a update tho. Any one else with the same thing going on????

At 50% on the minder but it only has 1 qt? Something doesn't add up there. Are you on reg oil? no synthetic? not that I think would really matter.....

I went down to 0% and I still had 3 qts on the K20.

I recall some 8th owners burning in their initial ownership, but not that much. Do you drive in vtec quite a bit?

can I ask if you ever checked it at any point during those first 3800 miles? Is there any chance that there was some type of issue during production that it didn't get the normal amount of oil when it was on the production line? Like the amount of oil was low from the beginning?

no i didnt ever check. so no idea. but i doubt it was low from the begenning the dealer has to do whats called a pdi which is check all fluids top off the car with gas drive it for 2 miles and make sure everything works properly before its able to be sold

you should(especially when half vtec cracking a lot) check your oil level at every fuel fillup as per the owners manual.

if you spun your rod bearing you'd have to fight for a warranty claim since they'll(rightfully at that) claim owner abuse/negligence.

At 50% on the minder but it only has 1 qt? Something doesn't add up there. Are you on reg oil? no synthetic? not that I think would really matter.....

I went down to 0% and I still had 3 qts on the K20.
you're a longtime 8th member aka OG, but honestly do you think that at 0% there will be 0 oil in the crank ?

whether the OLM is at 100% or -1000miles there should always be oil in between minimal and maximum acceptable (4-5qts) since the oil level is to be checked at every fuel fill and topped off as per owners manual.

you're a longtime 8th member aka OG, but honestly do you think that at 0% there will be 0 oil in the crank ?

No I don't that at all....I just thought that the minder would read a lower % if the oil is so low. I guess the minder just tells you how "clean" the oil is?

all it is is ( doesn't that spell out retarded ? like speaking it sound normal but typing " is is " lol) a complicated calculator.

it has NO IDEA of the current state of the oil, it just multiplies (or divides) temperature+rpm+metered air(MAF)+idles etc etc and determines the remaining oil based on 5qts of regular(non-synth) oil from the point that you reset the meter.

it doesn't have a float to check the level either, it only throws the dummy light when it is seriously low that there isn't enough oil pressure at the oil pressure sensor located above the oil filter and below the cylinder head.

people need to check their oil every fuel fill until they can figure out by how many miles their own particular engine (everyone is different) goes through a half qt of oil.

you know how much it consumed by looking at the low and high mark, from low to high equals aproximately 1 quart so if it's half way down add 1 half qt and keep it vtecing.

no i didnt ever check. so no idea. but i doubt it was low from the begenning the dealer has to do whats called a pdi which is check all fluids top off the car with gas drive it for 2 miles and make sure everything works properly before its able to be sold

I wouldn't always trust the dealership to look everything over. The service guy could've been lazy one day and just overlooked it, being that it is a new car. Definitely have them do a leak down test, that'll tell if your rings are bad. Any blue smoke out the tailpipe?

I wouldn't always trust the dealership to look everything over. The service guy could've been lazy one day and just overlooked it, being that it is a new car. Definitely have them do a leak down test, that'll tell if your rings are bad. Any blue smoke out the tailpipe?
no blue smoke and i trust them cuz ive been working with the same guys for more than 6 years but yea i understand what your saying lol. they did the leak down test they had it in the air for a few hours and every 1,000 miles ive been getting it checked i have 7000 on it now and its been ok so far i think i was just driving it to way to hard during the first 5000 miles everything seems to be ok and i think theres going to be a update for it anyway

"going to be an update for it anyway"

-an update for...?

Back