Ksport coilovers installation questions?

fritz

atlantic city, nj
Vehicle Model
civic si
Body Style
coupe
I have my ksport kontrol pro coilovers and have a few questions about installation.
1st I must say my si is my daily driver, I also do drive aggressively. There are many roads in the area with great curves that I am already taking at 70 to 85 mph. That being said i also like the drag strip. So that leads to my questions. I am thinking about 1-1/4" front drop, and 1" rear drop, also worried about severe uneven tire wear.

1. The research* I did shows that specific bolts and nuts should be replaced after being removed. Is that Necessary?
(*College hills honda PDF for hfp suspension)

2. What front camber would be best for a mix of drag and street? -1?

3. Should I install rear camber arms? I am looking at 1" drop in the rear.

4. Is the 1-1/4" & 1" drop not enough? I don't want to have to cringe at the speed bumps and pot holes around here.

5. Should I use spring clamps or just unbolt the lower a-arm to replace rear springs and struts?

I'm hoping some one can help or might have a link to a detail web page for answers. Thanks

Hey Fritz,

I can maybe answer a couple of them for ya.

1) The nuts and bolts generally are only a few dollars and it doesn't hurt to replace stuff when you can. That said, if it's not a crush washer or some type of locking nut I don't think you have to worry about it too much. I reused quite a few things that I wasn't supposed to without issue. If you've got the time to wait for them to come then do it. When I did my latest full suspension install I replaced almost every nut and bolt I could. So I've gone both ways. (haha, I get it but no.)

2) I think your idea for about -1 front camber would be a pretty good balance of street/strip. I'm running -1.3 F for a DD that I like to drive with some zest here and there. I don't go to the strip at all so it's more of a handling performance setting.

3) With the 1" rear drop I don't think you would "need" camber arms. The best thing would be to set the suspension and get an alignment and see where you're at before deciding. I'd bet you would still be within factory spec. Whether that's an acceptable number to you is a different story. On my wifes car with a 1" drop she ended up at -1.4 R. We did not get her camber arms and decided to just run with it. I dropped my car just over 1.5" and from some other peoples posted alignment sheets I think it would have come out pretty close to -2, which I would not run.

4) Is the drop enough? I don't know. That's up to you. Hahaha. At 1.6" drop I haven't had any issues scraping or hitting anything.

5) A good spring compressor is much easier than unbolting the arm. Also unbolting the arm will cause something to fly out of place with the force from the spring still on it. We cheated on mine and just pried the springs out with a 6ft. breaker bar. Not recommended.

As far as tire wear goes, a good rotation schedule will help minimize that. Do it when you change oil. That said, just get an alignment and see where you end up. Camber will wear your tires but not nearly as bad as poorly adjusted toe settings. Mild camber, less than -2ish, shouldn't give you significant wear.

i agree with most of what @Nix said except for #5. i could never find enough room to get a good spring compressor on the rear springs. the easiest way i found was to get the rear springs out is to unbolt the upper arm at the knuckle. you'll have to unclip/unbolt the brake lines from the body (don't have to disconnect the lines so no need to bleed) and undo the rear sway. by unbolting that upper arm, it becomes much easier to pry the lower arm down far enough to pop the spring out.

If it's the stock spring and you have no intention on selling it, why not? Lol. :giggle: I used a spring compressor and it wasn't a tight fit.

My brother in law did it for me. He works at Honda so his garage is pretty hooked up... except for the occasional ghetto jobs like that one. Hahahah. He said it won't hurt anything but the spring does come flying out pretty good. Watch your shins!

I found a set of Ksport coils on FB marketplace but says they’re for a 2014 model will they also work for the 2013’s?

you would not be able to use 14/15 coilovers on the 12/13. It's talked about a little in this thread and from tein on fb showing the difference
https://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2014-civic-coupe-suspension-feedback.10872/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.764887483551095.1073741895.115062595200257&type=1
So based off that, the bolt holes are slighty off on the 14/15s and it looks like a brake line bracket as well? Shouldn’t I be able to switch to 14/15 knuckles if that be the case? If possible my next worry would be the upper mount, is there any info on the upper mount?

I don't know honestly. I know the rear springs were also wound in the opposite direction or something, so users had to get top isolators for the rear springs to work properly, and then others still complained about noise issues. You could talk to procivic about it. They'd probably be able to answer specifically what changed.

I don't know honestly. I know the rear springs were also wound in the opposite direction or something, so users had to get top isolators for the rear springs to work properly, and then others still complained about noise issues. You could talk to procivic about it. They'd probably be able to answer specifically what changed.
Alright I’ll give them a yell, I’ve tried calling KSport directly to discuss it but their phone support is down right now. The guys practically giving them away for $180 and they look to be in good condition said he only ran them for around 3-4 months before he sold the car. Can hardly find used coils in my area. Thanks @webby

Back