Lucky Flashpro Find

hotdogjohnny

USA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I was lucky to find someone selling a very lightly used flashpro that he had already etuned with VitViper. His reason for selling had nothing to with the Si, flashpro or the etune. It was a needs-based decision.

His mods were an ART SRI and a P2R tbs. My only engine mod is a K&N typhoon. So I bought the flashpro AND the P2R tbs (to mirror his mods), and he gave me his VitViper-produced etune file.

Long story short, I contacted VitViper, with whom I'll be working further, to make sure it was OK with him to use his tune. Yup. I immediately installed the tbs, Flashpro 1.41, locked it to my car, and immediately uploaded the etune file VitViper prepared for the prior owner, who had done 27 separate data logging sessions. The graphs on that file are awesome.
My car is a totally different car now. First, THE REV HANG IS GONE! :fistpump:I MEAN GONE! In addition, it's like the typhoon had been asleep since October. I definitely have a lot more power, the tbs whistles under WOT, the throttle response is way smoother in slow driving -- in short, this is how the car should have been delivered to me from Honda. I can only imagine how much a few more, bigger mods will benefit from flashpro and VitViper.

Thanks to the guy who sold me the unit for making it so quick, and VitViper for his time and advice. I'll be back.

Very nice. Flashpro also gets rid of the jerky acceleration during cold starts.

The previous owner got a very good tune, you got lucky you can use his map as a basemap for your car ;)

He sure did get a good tune Vit! As for me, I got real lucky -- I'll pm you about optimizing for my setup. I'd like to have your eyes on some data to be safe.

You're a lucky guy. I can't wait to get my flashpro. I think the car drives better from the factory than the 8th gen did. But I'm sure with FP the throttle response will be sharpened as the car feels a bit sluggish in the 2-3k range when you're giving it half throttle

You are indeed a lucky man sir. <---- The seller lol

The car is mostly the wife's now but I still drive it some to. Made me sick to return it to stock after all that work. Just had the rebuild done by Honda for the oil usage TSB and its kind of running like poo now. Random bad hesitation and loss of power from a stop, a strange rattle sound below 3000rpm, they bent my fender down a little from leaning on it but I fixed that by hand. Sigh..... This poor car....

:eek: I would have brought that up with the dealership/corporate if you didn't. There is no excuse for that. If it's not running right, I'd be back at the dealership. At least get it documented.

You are indeed a lucky man sir. <---- The seller lol

The car is mostly the wife's now but I still drive it some to. Made me sick to return it to stock after all that work. Just had the rebuild done by Honda for the oil usage TSB and its kind of running like poo now. Random bad hesitation and loss of power from a stop, a strange rattle sound below 3000rpm, they bent my fender down a little from leaning on it but I fixed that by hand. Sigh..... This poor car....

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Sounds more like poor dealership than anything. I was honoring the caped crusader by keeping the seller incognito, but here he is folks. And thanks again. I was hesitant to send all that cash to a stranger. But you are top drawer Bats. :bananawhipdance:

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Sounds more like poor dealership than anything. I was honoring the caped crusader by keeping the seller incognito, but here he is folks. And thanks again. I was hesitant to send all that cash to a stranger. But you are top drawer Bats. :bananawhipdance:

Haha NP buddy, I'm glad it went to another quality enthusiast.

I too just bought a used Flashpro.. $550 to be exact :)

Owner had the flashpro and mods for 1 week and ended up trading his SI in for an EVO X. I'll be contacting you VitViper , I need a tune badly, my A/F is all outa wack. Could you please PM, I have a few questions.

FYI, the stock Reflash basemap alone is a night and day difference, and yes the Rev Hang is gone for the most part but with that sacrafice comes the jerkyness, which isn't all that bad..

All I have changed besides adding the Reflash:

Vtec: 4,200/4,300
Launch Control: 3,000 / 2,975

Older Settings:
Vtec: 4,200/4,200
Launch Control: 3,300/3,250

Mods: Injen CAI / Full_Race Catback

Future: Catless Downpipe, RBC Intake Manifold, TBS

I too just bought a used Flashpro.. $550 to be exact :)

Owner had the flashpro and mods for 1 week and ended up trading his SI in for an EVO X. I'll be contacting you VitViper , I need a tune badly, my A/F is all outa wack. Could you please PM, I have a few questions.

FYI, the stock Reflash basemap alone is a night and day difference, and yes the Rev Hang is gone for the most part but with that sacrafice comes the jerkyness, which isn't all that bad..

All I have changed besides adding the Reflash:

Vtec: 4,200/4,300
Launch Control: 3,000 / 2,975

Older Settings:
Vtec: 4,200/4,200
Launch Control: 3,300/3,250

Mods: Injen CAI / Full_Race Catback

Future: Catless Downpipe, RBC Intake Manifold, TBS

Do you notice the vtec down at 4,200? Is there any downside to bringing vtec in so early in the rev range?

You can't change VTEC and assume it's going to work well -- in many cases it will make less power by engaging it early causing a torque slump after VTEC engagement.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Seems to me like it would work well but only with a cam change. On stocks cams the normal cam would probably perform better below 5k and at 5k and above the "hot" cam would perform better. So running the hot cam below 5k would probably lose low end torque and not gain anything right?

Really unsure, I havent tested it. Going to be getting a tune from vit sometime soon, I would like to know the answer to this tho.

Flashpro interaction with the ecu is enticing and reminds me a lot of overclocking pc's through the bios settings, flashing and the like. For instance, you might overclock the cpu and find that one core is slow and causing crashes, so you bump the voltage to that core, or to your memory sticks, use different multipliers, etc. It's so simple, just clicking around in the bios settings.

The problem arises if you don't know exactly what you are doing and why. You need to know what potential damage you can do. The obvious difference is that a memory stick or a new cpu doesn't cost much if you fry it.

I am not even tempted to run around in Flashpro making changes to ignition settings, vtech, etc., because I know, that I don't know, what result to expect. A brand new vtech engine is a terrible thing to waste. That's my 2 cents.

Really unsure, I havent tested it. Going to be getting a tune from vit sometime soon, I would like to know the answer to this tho.

It depends on the modifications on the vehicle -- the VTEC point can be affected by the exhaust, header (downpipe in this instance) and in some small cases even the intake. F/I may change the vtec point as well (supercharger/turbo), etc.

Back