my review of the flashpro pro's and con's.

Drew

Tennessee
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I have had the flashpro for about 3 weeks now. the elevation where i live is ~1,000 feet above sea level. I currently have the reflash tune in my car with everything the base map except for the launch limiter, my car is completely stock.

Pros: I really enjoy the added horsepower its enough to feel in the seat, and you can tell a big difference in the throttle response, as far as the rev hang I dont think mine was bad to begin with, but i do feel it helped a little bit. I can also tell a difference in the exhaust note it is a little deeper. The MPG has went up just a little bit from 29.5 ish to about 30.1 ish but that is just via imid, I have not actually calculated it by hand.

Cons: The only con I can come up with is that when you let off the throttle it seems to jerk around a lot more than it used to, and I dont know if a tune would fix that or not but sometimes it gets annoying.

I am really excited to see how it does with some basic bolt ons and see if i can fix the throttle let off. hope this helped someone how was on the fence about it overall i have enjoyed it and think it was a good purchase.

I have k&N intake and reflash. I have the "jerk" that you are talking about as well. Going to work in the am while in traffic really really really sucks...

VitViper may want to chime in. I believe others brought up the jerky issue, and someone tuned with him said they had almost eliminated it, or maybe I'm high.

The jerk can be fixed for the most part -- it has to do with the "rev hang fix" everyone was really hyped up about. Removing rev hang completely does have this side effect.

So despite the famed claims that rev hang is there to:
A) Improve emissions
Or
B) Help you "accelerate into the next gear"

I'm wondering if it is a side effect of the stock throttle being programmed to be lazy upon closing, because Honda couldn't get it to close without being so abrupt that it caused jerkiness.

I mean, if I let completely off the throttle at 3000 rpm or less, like when cruising, I get the jerkiness. Over 3000 rpm when I let off, I get rev hang.

So reprogramming that reduces rev hang increases the jerkiness, because the throttle will now snap closed quicker, which exposes the original symptom if jerkiness. Makes sense.

It has nothing to do with the throttle snapping closed. It's what is called coasting fuel shut off (or coasting fuel deceleration). If you enter this mode too abruptly after throttle lift off you can cause jerkiness.

Oh and I noticed that the jerk is not as bad with the stock hondata tune.

I haven't driven a DBW throttled manual that didn't jerk when you jumped off or on the throttle at higher rpms. I miss cables...

I haven't driven a DBW throttled manual that didn't jerk when you jumped off or on the throttle at higher rpms. I miss cables...

My manual cable throttle car will do the same thing if I tune it to remove "rev hang" as well. FYI, my manual throttle cable beater doesn't exactly drop revs very quickly at all... it just kind of floats and takes it's sweet time to drop revs. The behavior you're seeing (rev hang/jerkiness) has nothing to do with whether it's manual cable or DBW.

I don't mind the rev hang this car has. I feel like since there's so much travel on the clutch (as compared to the 8ths), the rev hang helps keep shifts smooth.

^ very true, if you are granny shifting... aka daily driven

but for those moments when you need to get on it and down shift, its a bit annoying

I don't mind the rev hang this car has. I feel like since there's so much travel on the clutch (as compared to the 8ths), the rev hang helps keep shifts smooth.
Unless your like me. I end up having to use the clutch to drop the rpms. Like when your starting out in first and you let the clutch bite first then let it out smoothly, I do that in every gear, because when I'm letting out on the clutch (especially shifting to second) the rpms are still too high to let the clutch out quickly and have it match the revs. That can't be good on the clutch.

Unless your like me. I end up having to use the clutch to drop the rpms. Like when your starting out in first and you let the clutch bite first then let it out smoothly, I do that in every gear, because when I'm letting out on the clutch (especially shifting to second) the rpms are still too high to let the clutch out quickly and have it match the revs. That can't be good on the clutch.
Ya I was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine the rev hang is that good for the clutch.
I've got to get my oil burning sorted out and then I'm going with the FlashPro for sure

Back