Need a quick troubleshoot (Water movement)...

Daniel Bivona

Pompton Plains, NJ
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
I have a 2013 Si Sedan with about 15K miles on it. Over the past few months I've noticed that when I have the fan or A/C running and even when it is off, when I make a left hand turn, there is the sound of water rushing to the right side of my car. This sound is coming from under the car in front of the passengers seat. I have no clue what it is. Could it be water inside the frame or is this just a function of a coolant system? I don't understand why the sound of water flowing under the car only happens when I make a left hand turn and not when I make a right. It sounds made up, but none-the-less is an issue. I have my 15K check-up at Honda in a few weeks and I will make mention of it then, but did not know if anyone else might be experiencing this issue or can determine what is actually happening under the car or in the engine. Thanks in advance.

Is it when you have nearly a full tank of gas? It could be the gas swishing around in the tank. Mine does this, too; as did my 2012 Si Coupe. It's notoriously very loud on these cars.

Is it when you have nearly a full tank of gas? It could be the gas swishing around in the tank. Mine does this, too; as did my 2012 Si Coupe. It's notoriously very loud on these cars.
Hmmmm, but the sound I'm hearing is coming from the front right of the car. That would be a noise of gas moving in tank coming from rear.

Maybe condensation from your ac not draining properly. Possible water pooling in the duct work. At least that's what a buddy of mine was dealing with a while back. Turns out his drain line was clogged so it was pooling up somewhere in his dash, freezing up his coils, and dripping onto the floorboard. I don't know what kind of vehicle he has but he was saying he heard water sloshing around sometimes.

Maybe condensation from your ac not draining properly. Possible water pooling in the duct work. At least that's what a buddy of mine was dealing with a while back. Turns out his drain line was clogged so it was pooling up somewhere in his dash, freezing up his coils, and dripping onto the floorboard. I don't know what kind of vehicle he has but he was saying he heard water sloshing around sometimes.
This sounds like exactly what it is. I'll make mention of it to my Honda dealer when I go in for my checkup for the 15K. Makes sense, thanks.

This sounds like exactly what it is. I'll make mention of it to my Honda dealer when I go in for my checkup for the 15K. Makes sense, thanks.
I actually felt water under my weather tech floor mats today. Bringing to dealer tomorrow to ask about it. It's def. water, doesn't smell like any other fluid.

make sure it's resolved or you could end up with a serious mold problem
Yes! Thanks. Car is going to dealer today. Water is coming through the floor now. The A/C water is just backed up I believe. No outlet for the water to go anywhere except into the car.

Water in the floorboard along with the rushing water sounds like a busted heater core to me. I don't know where the heater core is located in these, but I've run across this problem on a lot of older cars where the heater core is under the dash on passenger side behind the glove box.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Honda concluded that it was a clogged AC. I had a lot of water on both the driver's and passenger's side carpet. I didn't notice the water since I have weather tech floor-mats, which are rubber. They cleared the AC line and are taking out carpets to drain water and dry out. Getting my car back this Saturday, since I'm on vacation. Hoping that it is all dry and there is no moldy, damp smell.

Just curious, had you done the trick to disable ac from automatically coming on when you set the vents to defog or footwell? I wonder if that feature was meant to prevent clogging like this.

Just curious, had you done the trick to disable ac from automatically coming on when you set the vents to defog or footwell? I wonder if that feature was meant to prevent clogging like this.
I've done this on past civics and had no issues with water

I've done this on past civics and had no issues with water
Yeah, I'm conscious of this is well. It has to do I'm sure with the fact that I park outside since we have no garages by my condo. It could of even been an animal that clogged the drain or just brush.

To tell you a short story though, the Honda dealer I took my car to had called me up last Friday to tell me my car was taken care of and that I could pick it up. However, when I arrived at the dealer, I saw my car parked outside and went directly to it to inspect whether or not the water was out of it. When I opened the driver's side door, the carpet was still soaked! When I pressed my hand on the floor carpet water still came through. Long story short, they gave me a little hard of a time stating that typically the dealer is not responsible for this kind of thing. I argued with them since the Honda tech guy had told me the previous day that this needed to be taken care of right away and the carpets need to be dried to avoid mold. They told me to leave the car at the dealer and they'd take care of it. I suppose the dealer isn't responsible for this kind of thing since it's not really a technical issue, but rather an unfortunate circumstance due to the environment I park my car in. Hopefully it won't reoccur. Any tips to prevent the AC from future clogging is appreciated.

Did they give you any tips for keeping the drain clean?
I asked them how to prevent this from happening again and they said you can't do anything about it. I'm not the most technical guy, but shouldn't there be some kind of perforated screen so that the AC can drain outside of the car, but also keep brush from clogging the drain?

Back