Need help finding a brakes and rotors

Gorrila88_13si

Hey guys I need help finding some new brakes and rotors for my 13 Si sedan, its a daily driver car but I do drive it pretty rough. Right now driving it past 60mph and applying the brakes the steering starts to shake so I know I def need the rotors but I rather switch both while i'm at it. I'm looking for some cross drilled rotors and brake pads so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

A blank rotor will perform better than a drilled or slotted rotor. If you're looking for more brake force a more aggressive pad will give you that feeling but you should be able to lock up the wheels on the stock brakes. The limit of your braking will be your tires. The abs will kick on pretty early with the stock tires.

That said,

If you just want drilled rotors for the look, well, then get them. Just know that they are not as effective as a solid high quality blank.

Hey guys I need help finding some new brakes and rotors for my 13 Si sedan, its a daily driver car but I do drive it pretty rough. Right now driving it past 60mph and applying the brakes the steering starts to shake so I know I def need the rotors but I rather switch both while i'm at it. I'm looking for some cross drilled rotors and brake pads so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

buddy club calipers, goodridge ss brake lines, s2k blank rotors, dot 4 brake fluid & your good to go.

I know Corsport sells rotors and pads, I'm sure there are other vendors who do as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nix not really going for the looks I'm more interested in the performance so if you say the blank rotors are better for that then I will def look into that. Can you point me in the right direction for some good blank rotors and more aggressive pad?
Is this a good buy from @CorSport ?
2012+ Honda Civic Si EBC Ultimax Front Rotors - 11.8in
2012+ Honda Civic SI EBC Ultimax Rear Rotors - 10.2in
2012+ Honda Civic SI EBC Redstuff Fast Street Front Brake Pads
2012+ Honda Civic Si EBC Redstuff Fast Street Rear Brake Pads

I have been running a set of EBC rotors for a while and they have been fine as far as I'm concerned. I know brembo blanks are supposed to be the best but I have not seen them available for the 9th gen civic yet. I think those that you posted would be a fine choice. I actually got mine from @CorSport also. I have definitely driven them hard and they have not warped or developed high spots on me in about 40k miles worth of driving. I melted the piston into the backing plate on one of the front pads so yea, they took some heat. hahaha.

I doubt that you need to replace the rear rotors yet. The rear brakes really don't provide much force and should last a really really long time. The fronts do take quite a beating in these cars. I suspect that your rear pads are fine as well. I would suggest leaving those alone for now and just swapping the front rotors and pads to start.

As far as pad recommendations, if you're not tracking the car the OEM pads are a nice balance of life/dust/noise/braking. I have not used the redstuff pads myself but I think @Dar-Dar has. He might have some input.

To be honest with you, I am running a set of EBC slotted rotors currently. I know they are ultimately not as good as a blank but I did get them just for the look. Drilled rotors can be tricky since most places drill the holes after the rotor is cast. A real "drilled" rotor should have the holes cast into the rotor or you can run into some issues with cracking. Those rotors can and are very costly. I found the balance of cost/performance with a slotted rotor to be acceptable.

These are the rotors I have on my car at the moment. They have been great. They did make a little noise at first and you could hear a slight whoosh sound from the pad going over the edges of the slots. I don't know if the slots actually helped with pad wear and preventing high spots. Bedding in new rotors and pads is important.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_321&products_id=28906

Let me know if you have more questions. I am currently in the process of upgrading my brakes all around and I will be running blank rotors on all 4 corners. I have started to exceed the heat capabilities of the stock system. If they were available I would recommend you AXXIS Ultimate brake pads. They are horribly dusty though.

TLDR - EBC blanks are fine. The rear rotors and pads most likely don't need to be changed. Front pads are a can of worms. Run OEM pads unless you are overheating and killing them. I run slotted rotors for looks. hahahah

I'd stay away from EBC pads. This is what my Redstuff looked like at ~20k miles. All of them looked like that. They could've cracked all the way through. It's a good thing I spotted them.
IMG_1838_zpsb9418a20.jpg

I think I had a convo with you on FB. Lol. I mentioned getting Brembo pads and stock rotors. You can also get SS lines and Dot4 brake fluid to increase stopping power.

Hehe there ya go. Brake parts seem to be pretty controversial with people using the same stuff and half of them hating it and half love it. Really depends on your needs and buying the appropriate equipment for what you use them for. I have no experience with the Brembo pads so I can't speak to their effectiveness or dust/noise levels.

Same, but my Brembo rotors and pads will probably be installed within two weeks. Im still patiently waiting for the tsx calipers.

@Nix not really going for the looks I'm more interested in the performance so if you say the blank rotors are better for that then I will def look into that. Can you point me in the right direction for some good blank rotors and more aggressive pad?
Is this a good buy from @CorSport ?
2012+ Honda Civic Si EBC Ultimax Front Rotors - 11.8in
2012+ Honda Civic SI EBC Ultimax Rear Rotors - 10.2in
2012+ Honda Civic SI EBC Redstuff Fast Street Front Brake Pads

2012+ Honda Civic Si EBC Redstuff Fast Street Rear Brake Pads

rotors are not gonna solve your problem...

rotors are not gonna solve your problem...
Yes they will...

Thank you,

Reactions: Nix
Thank you so much guys!
Yes we did @Dar-Dar I went to Tirerack and they told me they dont sell a front brake pad from Brembo :(
They are recommending
Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Centric&model=Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads&group=Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads&partNum=C105.09140&autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic Sedan&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=SI

buy it, install it & if you can, give us a review on these pads... see if it fix your issue

The pulsation is from high spots on the rotor from pad deposits. Changing or machining the rotor will fix that.

If you're driving very hard and are using a pad that cannot handle the heat you are generating you will probably end up with the same thing again.

Proper bedding of the new rotors and pads will help a lot though.

As much as I don't suggest it, you could get Hawk Pads. They will do much better than the POS pads.

I had HPS for a while. They weren't bad. They did make a single squeak noise between 0-1mph when stopping. They worked fine in 90+ and -20 weather so I can say they work decently in all conditions. I know some people just absolutely hate Hawk products.

Back