Never done this before. Need advice on intake for 2012 LX

JTShurtleff

I'm thinking about putting a cold air intake on my 2012 Civic LX but I'm not entirely sure if I want to. I read that they improve response time and gas mileage by letting more air into the car but what my real questions are:
How much does this improve MPG?
How much does this improve performance?
How hard is it to install and set up (I read about codes or something that you have to do to get it to work properly)?
How much do they cost on average?
Which one is best?

Pricing info is MSRP. Most online dealers sell for well under the prices listed.

you could do a drop in k&n filter -

K&N 33-2473
List Price: $60.00
33_2468.jpg

======

Injen Intake - Non-Si Models : SP1571P
List Price $445.00
SP1571_flaoting.sized.jpg

=============

Advanced Racing Technology ART: NON-SI Models: ARTC18CAI
List Price: $239.99

art3.jpg

==========

You may see anywhere from 1-3hp change with the drop in filter, and anywhere from 4-8hp out of one of the other intakes. Gas mileage may change, but it'll be minimal. Maybe 1 mile per gallon, and it's going to depend on your driving. Most like the way the car sounds with the intake, and end up running their engines to higher rpm's to hear it.

^^^ "Most like the way the car sounds with the intake, and end up running their engines to higher rpm's to hear it." ^^^

yup. they do.

I currently have the Ex model of this beautiful car and want to do a few minor upgrades that won't break the bank. CAI is high on the list. I see that you can buy them for my car, but I have a few questions I would like answered before I go ahead and drop $300 on one. What real world power does it really increase? Will I notice a difference or is it just for looks? How hard is it to install? I have done numerous jobs before on cars so I'm not the average guy with no tool skills. Do I need to get the car tuned after install? I see some people have posted that you get no gain without a flash. Would I have to do that and is it even available for the non Si models? Is it really worth the money? I had one on my Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years back (K&N) ad man did that thing roar with it on. I actually felt a power difference with that part alone. Give me some advice on this please. Has anyone here added this to a Non Si model and what was your experience?

Merged thread from earlier today where someone asked almost the identical questions. There isn't a reflash/flashpro for the non-si engines yet. Maybe some non-si owners can chime in on their experiences with the intakes.

Do the drop in filter and intake resonator delete. I gained about 1-2mpg consistently, divide miles driven/gallons in, and sound without spending $300.

There's a couple threads on here about it. It's a "free" mod, other than the filter, and it'll let you decide if you think the extra $$ is worth it or if you got what you are looking for.

Some 8th gen intakes will work, im running an 8th gen Injen SRI on my LX and it works fine for me, still getting 32ish mpg. Its a pretty beneficial and cheap mod

not to discount everyone that does that resonator delete but i wouldnt do that for two words "heat soak" hot air straight form the radiator. but regardless takeda makes one that uses your stock airbox. ill be reviewing it in like 2 weeks when i get mine.

Back