New Guy Here

connorsaj

Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
4 Door Si
Brand new to the Honda world. After being a GM guy since I was 16, I am more than happy with my recent change of heart. I Just bought a 2012 Taffeta White Si three weeks ago. Currently I replaced the registration plate light with an LED bulb, tinted all windows with front eye brow, transparent yellow overlay's on the fogs, OEM moon roof visor, and OEM splash guards.

My question is I have been looking at new shift knobs, and I was wondering if the thread pattern would be the same as a 2011 Civic SI? Also I want to get a CAI for it, and I have not found anyone selling them yet, any ideas of where I could find one? Thanks in advance for all you're help!~use.jpg~use 2.jpg

Welcome to the site! Taffy looks great with that tint.

No intakes are out yet, but I'd bet they start popping up around the sema show in nov. Also, the thread pattern works from the 8th. Any specific knob you're looking at?

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/m1abrams-shiftknobs.html

Thanks Webby, I think it looks good myself, I have been extremely happy with it so far.

I was looking at that knob (see link) in Black Pearl, due to the fact that I think i want the color theme of all my aftermarket parts to be black chrome. I also heard that there is a Skunk 2 that has a counter weighted knob that makes for a better feel while shifting. Do you know why a heavier shift knob makes shifting better/easier/feel different?

the added weight is just a different feel. Think of the added weight always sitting on top of the shifter. When you initiate a shift, that weight kind of aids in performing the shift. Once you start pushing, it kind of helps complete the shift (if that makes sense) when the weight is past the center point.

edit: found this description directly from twm

There are many differences between a weighted and unweighted shift knob. For some people, its a matter of preference of feel.

That being said there are performance benefits to using a weighted shift knob. A heavier shift knob carries more kinetic energy and momentum with it when set in motion than a stock, lighter shift knob. This effect of carrying more momentum makes the shift knob more difficult to stop when set in motion, so it essentially helps you engage the next gear. This results in a smoother shift feel with less direct effort required from the driver to engage the next gear. Basically a heavier shift knob smooths out the shift feel, and almost makes the shift feel effortless.

For the most complete weighted shift knobs selection for your car, check out our line up:

Shift Knobs & Gear Knobs by TWM Performance Shift Knobs & Gear Knobs

Dar-Dar, Thanks for the link, I like the Shift Knob. Any idea how much heavier it is than the stock knob?

*** Possibly a stupid question, but as I said, I'm new to this whole scene. When installing a shift knob, do they just screw off and back on? Should I use Loctite when installing the new one? Will it match up evenly with the stock shift boot? The link that Dar-Dar posted shows a knob that comes with a reverse threaded nut, how does that work?

Thanks again for every ones help!

just a matter of screwing.
you'd be doing just the intro part - no loctite
not sure on the stock weight, but it's pretty minimal

Dar-Dar, Thanks for the link, I like the Shift Knob. Any idea how much heavier it is than the stock knob?

*** Possibly a stupid question, but as I said, I'm new to this whole scene. When installing a shift knob, do they just screw off and back on? Should I use Loctite when installing the new one? Will it match up evenly with the stock shift boot? The link that Dar-Dar posted shows a knob that comes with a reverse threaded nut, how does that work?

Thanks again for every ones help!

I can't really tell you how much the 9th gen si shift knob weighs since I don't own one. But I think it is possible to have the same weight as the 8th gens, which is 8.4oz. The shift knob I showed you is 6oz heavier. Also, the reverse threaded nut is used to lock the shift knob in place or in the proper position. The stock shift knobs in the Si's have the reverse threaded nut (I think the 9thgen si's have them too).

Thanks for all the information and help guys, its great to have a site like this for new guys like myself to learn and have their questions answered.

we all learn things as we go along. It's just a matter of asking questions.

:wavey:

You might be able to get away with not using the lock nut and using a little bit of loctite. On my 8th stock know I eneded up not using the lock nut and getting the knob to go down further on the shaft and used 1 drop of loctite. Haven't had any issues for almost a year know.

Yeah, that one looks good. They have a nice "machine" finished one also but I know your going for a certain color.

The lower and heavier the better for a knob. Lower reduces the "throw" into the gears, not much but helps a little.

Back