New SI owner here! 2012 CBP SI sedan

CBP_knight21

ATL, Georgia
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
sedan
Hello everyone! Im new here on 9thcivic and also new to the Civic SI. I picked up my 2012 SI sedan a couple weeks ago and I have been enjoying it very much. Im coming from owning 2 WRXs. One was an 05 and did a build on it. The other was an 06 and I traded it in for the SI. Im somewhat familiar with hondas. I owned a 1998 Prelude in high school and learned a lot. Then I had a 1995 Honda Accord with 67,000 original miles. Oh and I also owned a 2001 S2000 for a few months. Im still in the learning stage with the k24 but so far I love it. Very strong motor. A lot stronger than an ej20 and ej255 from a wrx (rolls eyes). Anyway, I have a couple concerns with my SI. Number 1, what is the deal with this "rev hang"? It is killing me haha. Ive been driving a stick for 10 years now and Im still trying to figure out when to release the clutch to make it smooth. I did a little research on it and it seems Honda doesnt really have plans to fix this. I called my local dealer and the guy didnt even know what I was talking about. Number 2, my transmission is pretty loud. Are all SI transmissions noisy? It goes into gear and everything fine. Its just loud. Almost sounds like a noisy differential or something. I got the factory warranty extended so Im not really that worried. Im just curious. Still its much smoother than a Subaru 5-speed.

I dont have too many plans for the car. As of right now I just put LEDs in the interior and wrapped the fogs in yellow tint. Along with some yellow bulbs. I for sure want to lower it. Trying to decide between H&R or Eibach. Anyway here are some pictures!

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

Welcome to the site. Haven't heard many people talk about a loud transmission so I'm not sure what you are hearing. The rev hang can be solved by getting a tune with hondata flashpro. A lot of people here are etuned by vitviper in the vendor forum.

Welcome and congrats on the new ride.

What is the mileage? I would change the MTF and see if that helps the noise any. If not you could always have the dealer look at it since its still under warranty.

Thank you everyone! I scheduled an appointment with the dealer next week. Ive tried researching loud SI transmissions but I havent really found much. One thing I would like to ask everyone is when you shut your car off does it make a lot of noise? When I shut it off there is some mechanical noise that doesnt sound right to me. Its hard to explain.

You didn't notice any of this when you did the test drive?

Well actually I did BUT I also thought maybe it was just the compressor clutch making noise. I had the sales guy in the back talking my ear off, I was in an unfamiliar area trying to take the route the sales guy wanted me to, my girlfriend was in the passengers seat fumbling through the glove box and center console and other compartments. I never noticed the noisy shut off until I got it in my garage. Now I notice it every time. Im not that upset about it. It doesnt pop out of gear or not go into gear or grind. Its just strangly loud and no one seems to have heard of a loud SI transmission so thats why Im asking about it. Plus its under warranty so if something is wrong then it will be fixed.

I didn't hear anything except the sound of the exhaust when shutting the car off. My noise is from the front of the car. I'll take a video when I get home. I actually just read a thread about a 13 SI owner who had a noise from his transmission. Sounded like a table being dragged across the floor. I know exactly what noise he is talking about because my car has done it twice when starting in first gear. Although it's only done it twice. The dealer says its a soft spot in the clutch and flywheel. Got his fixed under warranty.

I didn't hear anything except the sound of the exhaust when shutting the car off. My noise is from the front of the car. I'll take a video when I get home. I actually just read a thread about a 13 SI owner who had a noise from his transmission. Sounded like a table being dragged across the floor. I know exactly what noise he is talking about because my car has done it twice when starting in first gear. Although it's only done it twice. The dealer says its a soft spot in the clutch and flywheel. Got his fixed under warranty.
I've read several posts about people coming across "soft spots" with your model year so id ride that free repair train if you feel the need to pursue the issue. Seems to be a possibility with the 12-13's more. On a side note about the rev hang...I'm pretty sure it's the cause of a spring "snap" noise (if that makes sense) i get from 2-3 up shifts towards the 7k rpm shifts. Only time i notice the noise is fast shifting (not power shifting). In general though i do get more "trans/shifting noises" in this car than most standard DD cars. (Being a mechanic exposed to multiple scenarios) Nothing wrong from what i can tell in 1600 miles of driving (still breaking in) BUT i am purchasing the Hybrid Racing cable bushings since my shifter play looks to be that of a 60k mi driven car.:D That play plus mushy motor mounts is what i feel is causing most issues (i have), trial and error will prove the result though.

NONE THE LESS! Welcome aboard! :badger:

well just dropped the car off at the dealer. i explained my issue in specific detail but as usual i got the fake "what customers want to hear" response from the service writer. hopefully the tech who diags it will hear the noise. i heard it twice today. also my vin falls under the range of factory paint warranty. i have some cracks in the paint of my hood.

I got my car back today and she feels......AWESOME. The transmission is so much quieter. I knew there was something wrong there. They installed a whole new clutch assembly, flywheel, and bearings. So if anyone else is experiencing the same issue I had, I highly suggest you check your warranty or get a new clutch. Thank you everyone for your help!

Back