New to cars. Suspension question

bivib

Hi guys. Been lurking the forum and the web for a while learning about cars (just got into them). I have a question about suspension. I want a flushed look like this, although the height may seem just a little too low as I go to the mountains a lot with this car. (Pulled the image off google)

5679dcec5f01a7a2c53032716c9d4029.jpg

I have a stock 2015 Civic SE sedan. I forgot where I read it and/or if it's car specific, but at what point of a lowered (height) car affect other suspension parts, like end links, to where they need to be changed to accommodate for a more lowered height? Will spacers affect end links too?

Also, I was reading that the bolt on the strut tower and the knuckles are different from SI and non SI. When buying coilovers online, I can't seem to find the size of the bolt used by the coiilovers and my car. Where do I find this info so I don't make a mistake buying the wrong suspension?

When buying on ebay, do i have to worry about coilovers being fake/replicas? Any tips or things I need to look out for when buying coilovers on ebay?

If you have any links for me to read up on, please do give them. I want to accurately learn as much as I can as I don't know any specifics about cars and the terms used. Thanks!
So far, I still need to read up on camber, caster, offset, end links and not sure what else is there...

Thanks to weeby's post and others too, I'm contemplating on getting this,

Megan EZ Street Coilovers For SI & Non-SI
MSRP $799
MR-CDK-HC12-EZ
Image.jpg
upload_2020-1-13_0-18-45.jpeg
The EZ STREET coil-over line up is aimed towards the more budget oriented enthusiast to offer the most basic essentials from an after-market coil-over setup, yet makes no compromises for quality and performance.
SPRING RATES:
F: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 6 kg/mm
R: 150mm length; 6 kg/mm
DAMPER SPECS:
F: 130mm stroke; 280mm length; M2 valving code
R: 160mm stroke; 260mm length; 44R03 valving code
- 15 Levels of Adjustable Damper Strength
- Aluminum Brackets paired with rubber inserts
- Rubber Dust Covers
- Adjustable Ride Height
- Conservative Spring Rates
- Single-Cylinder Design - monotube
- All coilover damper kits come with 1 year manufacture-defect warranty.
- All Hardware is Included

Last edited:
I would tell you to shop specifically for non-si coilovers so you don't have to deal with reduction washers & spring rate differences as well as mounting differences based on various years of civic si coilovers. They changed the design of the lower mounts on the si in 14.

The reducers look like this. Much thanks to Nix for finding these. They are often called reducer bearing/ flanged bearings/ Flanged reducer bearings if you want to Google them. There seem to be many companies that make them.

View attachment 44820 View attachment 44821

View attachment 44822

I received a reply from K Sport about the washer reducers.

"The 2012-2014 honda civic use the same coilover setup SI or non Si. Its only the 2014 and up SI that use a different mounting pattern. All 2012-2014 civic use the 2012 part number for all models of civic, 2 door or 4 door. Its only the 14 SI that is different, and it’s a totally different lower mount. The part you referenced was for the older civics 01-05 and is not necessary for the 2012 model."
Eric
Account Manager
www.KSPORTUSA.com

A lot of people swap to something like moog endlinks when they upgrade the suspension, and just do it all at one time. Cheaper brands like megan shouldn't be a concern with replicas. The bigger concern is warranty stuff with ebay purchases. Sometimes those sellers aren't authorized distributors/resellers, so you could face issues with warranty work if something breaks. As for wheels, look through some of the old ride of the month winner threads. You'll likely see something you're after along with the wheel specs/tire specs.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/forums/9thcivic-ride-of-the-month.130/

I'll share two of my window shopper links with you ;)

https://www.croooober.com/en/ -- A great site for JDM enthusiasts. The actual merch prices are cheap, but watch the shipping. You can get basically anything here if you're really wanting that 'Overnight parts from Japan' cred.

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/suspension -- A great site for Wheel & Suspension everything. They're also on Youtube. They go over brands, forging methods, and what-to-buy lists for most major manufacturers. They also go over coilovers very frequently.

I would tell you to shop specifically for non-si coilovers so you don't have to deal with reduction washers & spring rate differences as well as mounting differences based on various years of civic si coilovers. They changed the design of the lower mounts on the si in 14.

A lot of people swap to something like moog endlinks when they upgrade the suspension, and just do it all at one time. Cheaper brands like megan shouldn't be a concern with replicas. The bigger concern is warranty stuff with ebay purchases. Sometimes those sellers aren't authorized distributors/resellers, so you could face issues with warranty work if something breaks. As for wheels, look through some of the old ride of the month winner threads. You'll likely see something you're after along with the wheel specs/tire specs.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/forums/9thcivic-ride-of-the-month.130/

The Megan EZ street coils I assume have the options to fit SI or non SI (because it says it fits for SI and non SI). I'm not sure if I understood it wrong but does that mean this coil fits both as long as I have reducers? Or can I opt for the non SI version?

I'll share two of my window shopper links with you ;)

https://www.croooober.com/en/ -- A great site for JDM enthusiasts. The actual merch prices are cheap, but watch the shipping. You can get basically anything here if you're really wanting that 'Overnight parts from Japan' cred.

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/suspension -- A great site for Wheel & Suspension everything. They're also on Youtube. They go over brands, forging methods, and what-to-buy lists for most major manufacturers. They also go over coilovers very frequently.

Thanks! I'll read up on this

I went with Truhart coilovers and theyre actually forgiving for being maxed out in the rear and just a half inch left in the front. No complaints really. Twice my stock endlinks popped off (resulting in the sway bar dragging on the floor a lil) but i think it was because i wasnt setting the end links in their natural up right position when tightening everything up after adjusting my coilovers but i still have the stock endlinks... no problems since tightening them up.

Also, (i think) due to the sway bar moving around after the endlinks popped off, my left bushing for the sway bar slid out lol but that was an easy fix i took it to my mechanic and he put it on a lift n slid it back in n tightened it.

in the end, YOU WILL run into issues with a lowered car... but I think its good for these problems to happen... you end up learning alot tbh

Back