New to Si, Not to Honda

kgf3076

Old, rude, and grumpy ex-track junkie.
NoVA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si (Daily Driver) - '08 S2000 (Big-boy toy)
Body Style
Coupe (Civic), CR (S2000)
Picked up a '14 Si Coupe a week ago and really like the car. Have a Greddy Evo3 and downpipe on order. I'll be with a bunch of S2000's at the Dragon the same time the Civic group is there. Life is not fair, I want to do a Dragon run in the Si.

Thanks for the welcome. Be sure to look me up when you're at the Dragon in September. I'll be in the Apex Blue Pearl CR with a Mugen hard top. I'll get to Fontana on Tuesday so that I can get a couple of days of decent Dragon runs before the multitudes show up. :D Most of the other S2000's will show up on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Very nice. Welcome to the forum.

A few of us were just at the Dragon this past week, sunday-thursday, having a little pre season blast. Great weather and low traffic. It was excellent. Got there just as the Zdays nissan fest was leaving.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing you at the Dragon!
Post up some pics of your rides!

I should have taken some pictures yesterday. Took a drive from Alexandria to Mount Vernon, first in the S2000 and then in the Si. Absolutely great weather.

Nix, how many LEO's were out and about on the Dragon? Was Daryl (Killboy) out? If so, I'll go take a look at the photos.

I'd upload pix but through three efforts, I get upside down pix. Not sure why (been doing this for a LONG time). Never mind, I just figured out what the problem was.

@kgf3076 - This is the most accurate rundown I can give you. We weren't on the Dragon a lot but LEO was super super low. Only one day with a couple right near the TN/NC line.

There were only 2 cops out the entire time we were there and that was on Wednesday afternoon. Other than that we really didn't see any unless there was a wreck.

Arrived Sunday the 18th as the Zmeet was leaving. Totalled GT-R and at least 2 350z on flatbeds being towed out. The GT-R driver was basically unhurt but his passenger got airlifted with a badly broken leg.

I believe it was Sunday evening that we saw a bike crash into a Yukon that was towing 2 bikes behind it. He crossed center and hit them right in the middle of the truck. It could have been Monday though. They days definitely blurred together. That guy reportedly had broken his back and was airlifted also.

One fatality on Monday - first one of the year - biker crossed the center line and hit a Focus ST down near the bottom of the Dragon right by tabcat bridge. Really odd place to crash like that but reports said the guy was cutting all the corners and couldn't handle himself.

That's all the crashes Im sure of. I know there were at least a couple others that appeared to be minor "slideout" style wrecks where the guys were just standing near the sides and waving people by slowly.

Police prescence was extremely minor everywhere. Killboy was definitely out. Saw his tent several times. I really didn't run the dragon that much and we were doing a lot of exploring and hitting a version of SixPoint in the N.Ga region. I was almost taken out by Killboys white civic and an orange sport bike I saw parked at Killboys "stand" by deals gap. They bike was trying to pass on the Dragon on a downhill section while we were coming up. I had to hit the brakes pretty goddamn hard and I know my tires were over the white line. Whole pack of bikes surrounding the car like they were cruising together but not paying any attention to the yellow lines.

I don't know the girls name, she said they generally call her "killfriend" and she has the white s2000. Got some pretty good info from her on police and whatnot.

We almost went over to Diamondback one day but we heard from a local, actually the guy who makes all the maps, that they were in the process of repaving all last week. He said if they just left it blacktop that it would be ideal for driving within a couple days. However, he cautioned against going over there in case we got held up by construction and that they may be laying a top coat of loose gravel. It would take a lot of cars driving over it to make the surface hard and clean as the gravel needs to be pushed into it over time. He wasn't certain what route they were going to go cost wise. The gravel costs a lot to do but makes the road last longer. Could be a dangerous drive for quite a while if they gravel it.

Tell me about this Marietta meet... that's not too far away from here. I might be interested. You guys probably going to be hitting 26 and those roads in the park between Marietta, New Martinsville, and Caldwell? I'm always looking to meet people and go driving.

@kgf3076
Tell me about this Marietta meet... that's not too far away from here. I might be interested. You guys probably going to be hitting 26 and those roads in the park between Marietta, New Martinsville, and Caldwell? I'm always looking to meet people and go driving.
Here's a link to the information. The Tomcatt run is an annual event in memory of a S2KI member who used to like to drive this route almost every weekend. You're right about Rt 26 and also Rt 55 (555?). Don't know if it's an inducement or not but the drive itself is almost 6 hours long. We generally do the Rt 26 part, eat lunch and then drop out of the drive. Go take a look and sign up if you're interested. There will be a lot of S2k's but nobody is concerned if you show up in a non-S2000.

Last edited:
@kgf3076 - This is the most accurate rundown I can give you. We weren't on the Dragon a lot but LEO was super super low. Only one day with a couple right near the TN/NC line.
There were only 2 cops out the entire time we were there and that was on Wednesday afternoon. Other than that we really didn't see any unless there was a wreck.
You were there at the best time for the Dragon. During the week, you rarely see many LEO's. Early week (Mon through Wednesday) are the best days. Things get crowded from Thursday on. The S2000 groups have a rigid rule that the yellow line is never crossed except in an emergency. We've been really lucky, in the five years I've been organizing Dragon meets, we've only had a couple of accidents (well, one was caused by someone who was way overdriving his (miniscule) driving abilities) and no fatalities. We try to emphasize safety and staying within your abilities but there is always someone who overestimates how well they can drive.

more pics of the s2000!

also, how does the si compare?
That's my CR (Apex Blue Pearl). This was the start of the first group drive at Spring Fling in Harrisburg a couple of weeks ago. I really like the Si, but there's less road feel in the steering, the shift pattern is about a mile wide (going to get a short shifter kit to fix that problem) and the handling is nowhere nearly precise and quick. However, I really like the Si for what it is, a really nice and quick, well-handling 2+2 coupe. The fact that the Si is really good looking is a bonus.

IMG_1060-qpr_zps9862e8d0.jpg

Back