New to SRI's..

npdude

Macon, Georgia
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So I'm new to this car mods thing. I never used a short ram intake before. I was thinking about the K&N SRI for my 2014 civic SI sedan. I just want it for I guess you could say, the slight increase in HP but more for sound since just adding a SRI won't make a huge difference. I don't take my cars to the track, just for spirited driving and daily driving to work and to Atlanta. I searched for hours, but nothing to my specific questions are answered.

1. Do I have to tune anything?
2. What are the pros and cons?
3. Will it throw a check engine light?
4. Will it hurt my engine in the long term on normal daily driving?
5. Will it actually draw in more heat than the stock intake?

Thanks everyone!

@squiggy

1) you don't have to turn anything.
2a) pros - more noise.
2b) cons - waste of money and you will lose power. (wait for squiggy to reply)
3) It should not
4) No.
5) Yes.

Overall the stock intake system is better than 90% of the aftermarket stuff unfortunately. Or fortunately since you can then put that $300 towards parts that make a difference and not have to worry about getting an intake at all.

If you just want one cause you want one, then get one. If you like the increase in noise, the way it looks, just want some easy project and to have a reason to go wrench on your car: get it. If you are looking for actual gains, then save your money.

No prob. There are intakes that work and have shown gains but they are very particular and do require tuning solutions, flash pro, to run properly.

I found the quote I was looking for.

The only intake you should be considering is the PRL 3.5" CAI (and possibly Rick Spec'd). All others have not shown gains over the stock setup. Some even cause a loss in power. Vit has done a bunch of comparisons on tunes to support this.

Will flash pro harm the car? I don't really understand what that is even after reading about the product. It seems to me that flash pro is a tuning device that also gets rid of rev hangs?

I just installed my k&n. I love the noise. Over stock with a stock filter it's better, to me. I can hit 90 in 4th. I never could before. Usually around 80. I didn't the comparisons in till I had it installed. Slight regret. But. Hey. It sounds cool. Also. I reved it to about 4k rpms going 60 while crusing in 6th and let the clutch in and typically the revs would die and it would 'bog down' for being under revved. No. It left VTEC in and the rpms stayed up. So. It may need a tune Ford it. Idk. I'm no car guru. I just know basics and shiz

I just installed my k&n. I love the noise. Over stock with a stock filter it's better, to me. I can hit 90 in 4th. I never could before. Usually around 80. I didn't the comparisons in till I had it installed. Slight regret. But. Hey. It sounds cool. Also. I reved it to about 4k rpms going 60 while crusing in 6th and let the clutch in and typically the revs would die and it would 'bog down' for being under revved. No. It left VTEC in and the rpms stayed up. So. It may need a tune Ford it. Idk. I'm no car guru. I just know basics and shiz

An intake does not change your gear ratios...which are directly related to RPMs. If you can hit 90 in 4th now, you could have done it before.

Si with stock tires is barely at 6 grand at 80 in fourth - she'll sing to almost 100 before the dreaded fuel shutoff stutter.

Just my 0.02... I got a cel a few months later...

Also, I gained MPG and lost power.

FYI

An intake does not change your gear ratios...which are directly related to RPMs. If you can hit 90 in 4th now, you could have done it before.

Are you sure? When I had my Injen CAI I was able to hit 50Mph in first gear. My gear ratios were a lot longer.:scratches:

Are you sure?

Positive. Rpms of the engine/crankshaft dictate rpms of the clutch which dictate rpms of the gears which dictate rpms of the axle which dictate rpms of the tire = speed. Air cannot change a mechanical process.

Positive. Rpms of the engine/crankshaft dictate rpms of the clutch which dictate rpms of the gears which dictate rpms of the axle which dictate rpms of the tire = speed. Air cannot change a mechanical process.

I was just trolling.:flame: But seriously the only CAI that is worth getting is probably PRL CAI together with a tune.

Placebo man. Idk. It feels faster. Haha. Would it effect top speed?

But the rpm thing was weird. It only happened once.

Imagine with me, your parked, and in, let's say, 4th gear you got the clutch in, and you rev up and let the clutch out, and you're moving. But not touching the gas, and your rpms are up at 6k and your dash is lit up like Christmas saying vtec is in, yo, and youre going 3mph.

Basicly that happened to me.

Placebo man. Idk. It feels faster. Haha. Would it effect top speed?

But the rpm thing was weird. It only happened once.

Imagine with me, your parked, and in, let's say, 4th gear you got the clutch in, and you rev up and let the clutch out, and you're moving. But not touching the gas, and your rpms are up at 6k and your dash is lit up like Christmas saying vtec is in, yo, and youre going 3mph.

Basicly that happened to me.
1) Release Parking Brake and Replace Clutch
2) Replace driver

Back