NYS Emissions Testing, Monitor Catalyst and EVAP Not Ready

Twitch

Levittown, NY
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Coupe
I have a 2012 Civic R18 and i am now using KTuner. When i went for my yearly NYS inspection the Monitor Catalyst and Monitor EVAP read "not ready". I know Hondata used to have issues with readiness codes, but does KTuner have the same issue? If i return to the stock tune should this alleviate the issue? I'm not running a turbo or anything so i could return to the stock tune without issues.

I would assume returning to stock would fix the issue. Remember to unplug the battery to have the ECU "re-learn" all stock setting.....just in case.

I have a 2012 Civic R18 and i am now using KTuner. When i went for my yearly NYS inspection the Monitor Catalyst and Monitor EVAP read "not ready". I know Hondata used to have issues with readiness codes, but does KTuner have the same issue? If i return to the stock tune should this alleviate the issue? I'm not running a turbo or anything so i could return to the stock tune without issues.
Are you tuning with vitviper?

Ok, so Ive been working on this for over a week and I'm nowhere. It looks like Ktuner is not the issue. I spoke to Vit and he did not deactivate any sensors so this is all stemming from a dead battery. It simply seems as though the monitors will not reset.

After following the drive cycle in the Owners Manual 2x, I got the catalyst monitor to reset. The evap monitor never reset. Then i go to get the car inspected, your allowed 1 not ready monitor, and both are not ready again. Now it has not been above 40 here for weeks, and according to the manual it needs to be above 40. Could that be the entire issue? Also it is my understanding that once a monitor sets, it should only reset after a power failure or a trouble code. I have not received any trouble codes, so could my new battery not be providing enough power on start up that it resets every time?

Past this I am officially out of ideas and about to take it to the dealer. Its too cold to take out my mods, so im going to have to just go with everything on and hope for the best.

So you went back to the stock tune...off ktuner?

How quick do you need to pass inspection? Like pronto?

Before trying Honda it may be worth trying a place like autozone. See if they can clear the code for you? I know they can scan and read a lot of stuff. They may be wiling to clear it.

I have an obd scanner and no codes come up. My mechanic said the same thing. No codes just that it's not ready. I can try it since there's nothing to lose by it.

Drove to work on the relearn procedure. Btw driving down a highway at 55mph for 20 min feels like an eternity when you drive at 75 normally. Anyways, now I'm back to having only the EVAP incomplete. No codes present

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423741294.932218.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423741306.582325.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423741324.115782.jpg

My mechanic doesn't open until 9. Honda procedure says to turn the car off for 30 min between. If I turn it back on and it's still ok I'm going to try to drive right over there.

Update time, I wasn't able to get out of work to go to my mechanic Thursday. By the time I left, 14 hours later, the codes had reset.

Next day I started over with the relearn procedure and drove straight to my mechanic. Never turned off the car and he took it in and tested it. Finally got a pass. All monitors ready with no errors. He turned the car off, turned it on 5 min later and all was well. As I'm driving away, the "tighten gas cap" message pops up. I parked the car for about 8 hours, get back in and all monitors are reset again.

The good news I now have my inspection so I can resume working on this when I have more time. Bad news I'm still not sure what's going on.

My best guess for the resent is some sort of power failure. Now the car is not starting rough, hesitating, or anything noticeable. Could be issues with Honda's charging system, so I might pull some mods in the spring and take it to the dealer.

Has anyone come across a fix for the gas cap message? There's no issues with the cap and the EVAP monitors don't show errors other than that light. I know with past accords and such, there was a false positive in the system so I've never given it too much merit.

Oh that's right. I forgot about that. It's funny the gas cap light came on months after I installed the spacer so I never connected the two. I'll give that a shot once it warms up and see if it helps. Thanks.

Back