One of my worst fears

Flamethrower

Worcester, MA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
Well I tried to be a good bf and support my gf's class car wash for a trip to Six Flags. Tried is the key word. I showed up and everything was going very smoothly until I noticed one thing and it caught my eye big time. They were using Palmolive Dish Soap. I kept my mouth shut as to not start a fight and just gave her some money and immediately sped home and washed it all over again with my Mother's car wash soap. As soon as I sprayed the water on the car I saw a huge difference in how the water beaded up on the car. I feel like the "special protectant wax" I paid for at the dealership is now gone. I just washed it again and same thing. I won't bring it up to her because really, she doesn't pump her own gas so how was she supposed to know. Any suggestions on what to do in this situation? For the time being I am going to keep up washing it with the Mother's wash and hope nothing else starts to go wrong. Am I overreacting? lol

nothing is going to happen. Dish detergent can strip wax off a car which is why you probably saw less beading when you washed. You could go out and get a spray wax, or a liquid wax to apply after washing. It'll make water bead up again on your car. You'll have to look at your paperwork, but I believe someone said you have to have the protectant stuff reapplied every 6 months or something?

Yeah, they will say that. It's far from true unfortunately.

I think the last 3 vehicles purchased told me the same thing. "you'll never have to wax your car again"

I will check in to that. The dealer told me I would never have to wax my car again. lol

Wow what a straight up lie, that's a scary thought with a dealership....

If you want simple easy wax, use Meguiers Wax as you dry and for a little added bonus wipe down with Meguiers Quick Detailer

A good detailing followed by a sealer has never lasted more than 6-9 months for me. Even if I'm babying the paint and keeping it in a garage.

Go wax the car....as Webby sated the wax was stripped by the Dawn detergent.

Damn... Dealerships FTL! They wonder why they get a bad name.. ugh
It is unfortunate. My father was told the same thing before I started working at my dealership. I told him to go over his brochure on (Diamond Kote - the service he got) and sure enough it does require upkeep. It is unfortunate that a lot of dealers do not push knowing your accessories and the ins and outs of services when selling. The main concern for most places is to get them into the business office and hopefully someone else will fill them in.
It would scare you how many car salespeople are not car people. They genuinely have no interest in vehicles and don't offer what is available to prolong the life of your car because it will put your payment up, which may scare a client away from the car or may keep it in a condition as to not trade in as soon as they might normally (ie: from 4 years to 5)

Thankfully with a younger generation of car salespeople this is not the case. Loyalty is everything in the car business now. The days of the greasy car salesman is over, as there is more information openly available to buyers everywhere. Forums like this really help and are a tool i suggest and provide business cards for, lets be honest I love cars but am not the most technically inclined person out there so I find this a valuable resource to learn and grow, while hopefully adding to the community.

Regardless of the age of the sales people they are out there to make money... Money is the devil.

Back