Super Moderator
Super Mod
Toys For Tots
Charlotte-ish, NC
Vehicle Model
Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Body Style
@bootyluvr hates hatches
Just wondering what services you might be using after cutting cable.

Our cable bill is already expensive enough but we will be loosing the “bundle” price soon so it is time to look at options to replace cable.

Trying to keep it on the cheap side as internet alone prob will be $60ish.

I hear you can sometimes get away with going to another provider where they'll likely offer a bundle deal and once that expires go back to the previous provider. I, myself, I have Disney+, ESPN+, YouTube, Netflix and that about does it for me. I know it difficult, but you can still sometimes get away with a good quality rabbit ear like set up with mounting a metal plate (antenna) on the wall for basic channels.

Not the best, but hey keeps me from paying absurd prices. This is if you don't mind the lack of cable. Personally I am perfectly fine with streaming and reading news on my phone to keep in the know.

I’m not suggesting you have to keep cable tv, but it’s worth calling support and asking what your options are. Tell them you’re looking to kill your tv plan due to losing a bundle price or whatever. A lot of times they can give you a similar plan (or a credit) to keep you longer.

If you want local channels for free, check out where your locals are being broadcast.

It shows what direction you need to point an antenna to hit the broadcasting. Cheap (amazon $15 flat) antennas are often enough to get crystal clear local channels 40-50 miles away.

I know some people with YouTube “cable”, and they seem to be happy with it. I think it’s like $50/month.

Amazon prime streaming
Netflix
Hulu
Disney plus
Peacock
Sling tv
Roku
And a million other streaming services and channels are out there. A lot depends on what channels or shows/sports you can’t live without.

Personally, I have Disney+, Prime Video, Peacock, Netflix and my wife found Tubi which has a lot of cartoon options for my daughters

cut cable years ago in favour of just internet and streaming. its the way of the future. some internet company's offer tv through internet service as well. internet tv.

Reactions: Dad
havent had cable tv service since 2018, pay for an expanded internet package to not have a data cap and faster speeds, still cheaper than combined service. i have an apple tv or roku on every tv in place of a cable box, they can tap into the HD Homerun Duo that feeds OTA broadcast from an antenna to my networked devices, and i run a media server that i ripped all my DVDs to.

Currently have Amazon, Netflix and Paramount+ (CBS broadcast where i am is weak)

• Staff
I hear you can sometimes get away with going to another provider where they'll likely offer a bundle deal and once that expires go back to the previous provider. I, myself, I have Disney+, ESPN+, YouTube, Netflix and that about does it for me. I know it difficult, but you can still sometimes get away with a good quality rabbit ear like set up with mounting a metal plate (antenna) on the wall for basic channels.

Not the best, but hey keeps me from paying absurd prices. This is if you don't mind the lack of cable. Personally I am perfectly fine with streaming and reading news on my phone to keep in the know.
Where I live my only other provider option is Direct TV and I don’t want to mess with them. My parents had them and it’s not worth it.

Last edited:
  • Staff
I’m not suggesting you have to keep cable tv, but it’s worth calling support and asking what your options are. Tell them you’re looking to kill your tv plan due to losing a bundle price or whatever. A lot of times they can give you a similar plan (or a credit) to keep you longer.
We have already done that and just don’t want to deal with them anymore. Sad part is we have to have them for internet.

• Staff
I should have said we do have Netflix, Amazon Prime vid thing and ESPN+.

Also, the wife is a “Disney employee”(she technically works for ESPN but gets the perks of a Disney since they own ESPN), so we could get Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ for free if we give up the perk of having free tickets to Disney. So maybe we will try that and see how it goes.

I have YouTubeTV which comes at $65/month but is as close to a complete replacement to cable as I have in the area. Tired Hulu for live TV and they didn’t have main local channels. Netflix is paid for by T-Mobile, Amazon Prime, AppleTV, and Discovery+.

Yeah I call them and get a better deal.

Xfinity (Comcast)
Triple Play (TV, Phone, Internet)
$143/month after taxes & fees (includes 1 DVR X1 box - we own our own modem)

Internet - 450Mbps (down) / 12Mbps (up)
TV - A lot of channels but no HBO, Showtime, ect
"Phone" - I have no clue.. Wife uses it every day because "it sounds better than the cell phone" :rolleyes:

Yes Nomar I'm old but the wife is the one that won't cut the cord (and she's older). So :tongue:
We have already done that and just don’t want to deal with them anymore. Sad part is we have to have them for internet.

Who do you have? Cox?

Yeah I call them and get a better deal.

Xfinity (Comcast)
Triple Play (TV, Phone, Internet)
$143/month after taxes & fees (includes 1 DVR X1 box - we own our own modem)

Internet - 450Mbps (down) / 12Mbps (up)
TV - A lot of channels but no HBO, Showtime, ect
"Phone" - I have no clue.. Wife uses it every day because "it sounds better than the cell phone" :rolleyes:

Yes Nomar I'm old but the wife is the one that won't cut the cord (and she's older). So :tongue:

Who do you have? Cox?
Comporium

Haven't had any "cable" services in something like 15 years.

Netflix was an amazing supplementary service until about five years ago until all the other services caught on and wanted their "piece of the pie".

Still have Netflix, Amazon (really only for shipping...which is substandard during COVID), and Hulu (again).

Also have Disney.

Lots of arguments for and against each service despite being cheaper than "cable" or satellite.

Quote honestly, I will still subscribe to multiples and use a VPN/torrent client to completely fulfill my needs.

Haven't had any "cable" services in something like 15 years.

Still have Netflix, Amazon (really only for shipping...which is substandard during COVID), and Hulu (again).

Lots of arguments for and against each service despite being cheaper than "cable" or satellite.

15 years! Whoa.

I'm watching cable as I'm typing this. ESPN for Monday Night Football (Channel 850 in HD here lol)

In regards to the substandard shipping during COVID... That's weird. I haven't had any issues. Guess it depends on the areas people live.

I hate there are so many streaming services... I only have Amazon Prime Video (because it's included). No other streaming services.

Back