Probably not a good idea....

fnarmav

So I found this diy for a cheap intake using your own air box. And I'm interested in just trying it. I've done some research on the maf. And I found out that the v6 3.5l acura tl has the same maf as my 14 ex. It's also a bigger diameter than my stock air box. Would the bigger diameter be better or make me run like crap? The same diy mod applies. Will it help to buy the tl air cleaner cover or should I jack up mine. Both replacements cost 25 dollars.

I'm just thinking Honda in most cases spends heaps of money when designing things like this. So I'd probably stay with the Honda stock unit.

I would stick to the OEM unit honestly. The car will revert to what it thinks the correct a/f mixture should be. Without kpro or hondata flashpro tuning, your ecu will adjust.

I say try it. I know of a guy called mucter, who runs with Vit and his crew, was running an MDX air box on his massive turbo car. Said he "only" lost 10hp but the car was much more livable noise wise vs a large diameter performance intake. The car will adjust AF ratio without flash pro and a tune but you may find throttle response better when its not trying to suck through a straw.

I think its worth trying. For $25 try it out and let us know what happens.

@Nix do you happen to know the year of MDX he got the air box from. Or can you direct me to ask hom?

I do not. I've tried to find the thread numerous times but I've been unable to locate it. Its possible I read it on a personal webpage that doesn't exist anymore. It was definitely a few years ago. I almost never see him post or sign on to any of the spots I used to see him.

I think you should try the TL setup you're looking at. The 8th gen SI is pretty different from your 14' EX so even knowing which parts he used, they probably won't fit without a lot of work. If the TL looks like a cheap option and is pretty compatible, MAF sensor being the same, I would try that route first.

Mostly I was just giving support to your idea of trying out something very out of the ordinary and not off the shelf. Good luck man!

Back