Problems with Rbc manifold or Cold air intake?

John_chafin

Georgia
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Si
I recently installed a PRL cold air intake, RBC intake manifold, 1000 cc ID injectors, Skunk2 megapower RR exhaust, and skunk2 alpha series headers on my 2012 Civic Si sedan. Shortly after install I had my car tuned. While being tuned the tech told me I had some restriction of air flow but he didn't know where it was coming from. I put down 212.43 whp but I figured I should be around the 230 whp range. Let me know if you guys have had this problem or know a solution. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
A number of people go with a zdx throttle body and a 3.5" intake. That may be the issue

I have a 3.5 inch intake, but I'm using the stock throttle body. I have a buddy that is running the same setup but he bought another throttle body and lost hp. I've heard it's better to use stock throttle body with the spacer. @webby

I will say it adds that amazing vtec crossover sound the 8ths had.

I'm not sure why so many people do the RBC swap when it loses all that torque..
Because the torque issue was just recently brought to everyones attention. Before that, some of the honda perfomance parts suppliers were selling the RBC as an upgrade package. Ot to mention it is not made of plastic like the 9th gen intake manifold. It is still a good upgrade if one plans to install a turbo though. Depending on level of boost, it is likely the stock plastic manifold will not hold up.

Ah good point. I don't think I've seen any 9ths with turbos that didn't have the RBC.

because several post of amazing horsepower gain from rbc swap, thus created a hype till vit proven torque loss with this set up.

I haven't seen any amazing HP gains from the RBC swap on n/a cars... yet. The #'s for the 9th gens are all over the place,even the same type of dyno has been spitting out different #'s (I have customers with 220 on roller dynos, some only hit 200, with or without rbc).

team K-phonix 9th gen civic RBC dyno update.
so a couple months ago we installed an RBC on a customers car known here as @jdm_certified,we used stock 8th gen injectors and the j30 throttle body with a port match to flow more efficiently with a custom short ram we made.customer was able to get his hands on a flashpro and get the most out of this install.we have more plans for this car such as running a velocity stack to the front of the car,skunk2 downpipe and full exhaust,possible e85 and nitrous.from what we seen these motors have potential even still with alot of restrictions held back.we were surprised what we saw after the dyno tuning,we were able to get to that power with only 4 pulls limited.we want to experiment with these new platforms and see what the z7 can do.

strapped down and ready to tune.
image_zpsfabfc034.jpg

not much here,just an RBC.
image_zpsa1e6455f.jpg

stock baseline made 189whp 159tq from 211whp 163tq on STD setting a 22whp gain!....not bad for having full stock exhaust.
image_zps08015e69.jpg

and this is on SAE setting
image_zps32c2a4f0.jpg

there are many threads about rbc swap & almost everyone claims great gains & it's "highly recommended"

Published on Jan 21, 2013

Thankyou all for watching this video, the car has now gone on to Car heaven, below is a complete list of my mods, ironically finished my modding about 2 weeks before it was rearended(ex-wife driving) 2012 Civic Si , RBC swap, 410cc RDX, 3"DP/Cat Delete(Custom), Flashpro, and Full 3.5" True CAI were my final mods for this car put down around 215whp, 189wtq Conservatively.
RBC had IVAC port ground/Sanded down and filled in with JB weld to reduce intake charge Disruption. with the 3.5 CAI it sounded BEAST, wish I would have recorded that.

I just purchased the Hybrid CAI for my 9th gen Si that has an RBC/ZDX combo. I will be installing it either today or tmrw so will post back to let everyone know if it is a simple bolt on and/or what modifications need to be done to get it to fit.

Edit: I had my car tuned on Friday, picked up 22hp with the RBC/ZDX combo. Then we put the Hybrid CAI on (just bolted it to the t/b....wasn't installed in correct location) and I picked up another 8 hp peak.....BUT it gained HP AND TQ all thru the power band. A total of 30 whp with the RBC/ZDX/Hybrid CAI and 8 wtq.
Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
FXRob, May 20, 2013 Report
#9 Like + Quote Reply
TheSlowAndTheSerious, bigbossin, Dar-Dar and 2 others like this.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/hybrid-racing-cai-with-rbc.6914/

To be fair after analyzing all of the dyno graphs im just not able to find a torque loss over stock. Im not able to find a gain either until around 6500 rpm+ either way the best intake for our cars is made by ct engineering....

Lol.. And if we don't go that route.. PRL huh? I wish someone had numbers on the PRL SRI for the stock TB. I'm guessing heat soak destroys any potential gains?

All of the graphs i looked at show around 155-160 wtq until about 5-6k rpm then a slow decline. I would like to find another bone stock graph without any mods though

Back