squiggy

Cartographer
VIP Member
Michiana
Vehicle Model
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Body Style
Convertible
So I just got my windows tinted over the weekend and just wanted to make sure this looks normal?

2013-01-12 12.27.04.jpg2013-01-12 12.26.47.jpg

So the solution is to either deal with it or have black vinyl installed over the dot areas? Not thrilled about either choice really. One is an additional expense, while the other doesn't look the greatest. It is too bad tint shops don't offer to scrape the dots off first (even if it was at an additional charge). Hell, I wouldn't really mind if it at least had the uniform patterned look instead of being splotchy like it is on the front windshield.

Would anybody else mind posting picks of their black dot areas?

I elected to not have my rear window done at all, just because of all the stuff I'd rather not cover, just use my day/night option rearview mirror.
Another option is take it back and have them do it correctly.

Dont worry about that I had the samethi.g on my 8th... Once it completely dries it should look fine.. Thats what happened to me

So the solution is to either deal with it or have black vinyl installed over the dot areas? Not thrilled about either choice really. One is an additional expense, while the other doesn't look the greatest. It is too bad tint shops don't offer to scrape the dots off first (even if it was at an additional charge). Hell, I wouldn't really mind if it at least had the uniform patterned look instead of being splotchy like it is on the front windshield.

Would anybody else mind posting picks of their black dot areas?

Ummm.. Scraping off the dots is NOT a good idea for the rear window since the wires for the defroster are also there.

Like r18-power have said wait a couple of weeks and it should dry out to completely bond with the glass leaving the dots almost invisible from the outside.

Ummm.. Scraping off the dots is NOT a good idea for the rear window since the wires for the defroster are also there.

Like r18-power have said wait a couple of weeks and it should dry out to completely bond with the glass leaving the dots almost invisible from the outside.

I am not concerned about the rear. It's the front that I really don't like.

Speaking of the front. I noticed that in order to get the strip even with the bottom of the dots that the tint shop had to go about 1-2" below the AS1 line. At least in my state, law says the AS1 line is as far down as tint can go.

There are some options out there for tinting over dot matrix areas. I have heard that sometimes it dries out and looks ok, other than waiting, some places will lightly sand the dots down a little, or do the strip of black vinyl over the area.

There is one other option I have heard works good but I have not tried it myself nor do I know anyone who has.
There is this sealant stuff called Magoops. It's supposed to seal the area between the dots and the film and help the tint bond and not have that unstuck appearance.

http://www.dotmatrixwindowtinting.com/tint_dot_matrix.html

tint the whole window
put it out in the sun for 30 min this will get the film stuck up to the dots
bring it back in the shop and peel back the film over the dots while its hot, dont crease it.
run a small bead of magoop right in the groove where the film meets the glass and the dots end
use like the side swiper tool
0650.jpg

leave the film hanging and start to push the film and goop to the top of the window
work the whole piece to the top you will have a bunch of goop glob out at the top so be ready for that and dont get it on the interior
smile22.gif

Oh, you can have them try gluing it with that blue elmers glue stick also. Seems to be a popular option that works decently for only a couple bucks.

I think this just comes down to how good the tint shop is. If they know their stuff they would know what tint sticks to better and what dosent.. Mine is good. :)

I got mine tinted a couple of weeks ago. I do not have the dot matrix on the rear glass of my Si, but it is on the front. They told me they would keep the car all day and get it back to me the next afternoon and that the dot matrix part would be a pain in the rear... When I picked it up, he explained that they took extra time to get the front done but it did look like yours with the "bubble" areas. Over the next several days, it cleared up and looks just fine. I was kind of baffled at first on why it took them so long, but I am happy that they kept it and did it correctly.

any updates on how it looks now?

I have had to go over it and press it down, but now that the moisture is coming out it is starting to look better. Unfortunately, I have started noticing quite a few contaminates (fibers and dirt) in the film on all the windows.

that really sucks. Are you going to have the shop that did the tint look at it?

that really sucks. Are you going to have the shop that did the tint look at it?

Absolutely. I am waiting the full three weeks to make sure everything is dry and take a really good look at it to see if there is any bubbling. I would rather make them redo it it over bubbling than argue with them about the dirt and fibers.

The thing that really sucks is that they are the best place in town to go and come highly recommended. I also had tint done in the past by them that I was happy with it and had no problem with it for the six years I had the car.

Absolutely. I am waiting the full three weeks to make sure everything is dry and take a really good look at it to see if there is any bubbling. I would rather make them redo it it over bubbling than argue with them about the dirt and fibers.

The thing that really sucks is that they are the best place in town to go and come highly recommended. I also had tint done in the past by them that I was happy with it and had no problem with it for the six years I had the car.
I got mine done the day after Christmas. They did not tint the whole back window and let me know in advance and why. I was okay with it since I will be getting the rear spoiler/visor in the future to cover this up.
The front was done the same as yours. They will not go below the AS1 line (legally) in any state as far as I am aware. I have like half an inch to 3/4in. of the matrix showing in the front. I was thinking about cutting the front and removing the matrix. I don't think there are any wires in the front matrix. I am not too sure really haven't looked into it. I have to take mine back soon to get some bubbles fixed, I made sure there was a lifetime guarantee on the tint job for this reason.

I got mine done the day after Christmas. They did not tint the whole back window and let me know in advance and why. I was okay with it since I will be getting the rear spoiler/visor in the future to cover this up.
The front was done the same as yours. They will not go below the AS1 line (legally) in any state as far as I am aware. I have like half an inch to 3/4in. of the matrix showing in the front. I was thinking about cutting the front and removing the matrix. I don't think there are any wires in the front matrix. I am not too sure really haven't looked into it. I have to take mine back soon to get some bubbles fixed, I made sure there was a lifetime guarantee on the tint job for this reason.

The tint shop I went to actually did go below the AS1 line to match up with the bottom of the matrix, which made me happy. They do have a lifetime guarantee on their tint jobs. That does not necessarily mean they will be easy to deal with in honoring it, though.

Yeah, I got my car tinted this weekend with Solar Guard film. It looks great. Found couple small scratches but not going to worry about it. You really have to look to see it.

Got front tinted at 50% and rest at 28%. I will post pictures later.

Grrr... What is really the safest way of cleaning the tint in the car? I've used a micro-fiber towel with automotive glass cleaner. I made sure the surface was clean and soak the windows with the cleaner. Seems now I have few new scratches in the tint. It's very light but still can see it when the sun hits it at a certain angle. Grit is everybody's worst nightmare.

Any ideas? I know I can't fix the scratches since it's in the plastic. Just wish it wasn't so easily scratched.

There is a plastic cleaner called plexus. Its safe for tint films. Might be worth looking into. it also slightly polishes the surface so it might help remove the appearance of some of the lighter scratches.

Some window cleaners are tint safe but check the label and make sure they are ammonia free so they dont damage your film. Stoners I believe is safe.

plexus link. You can buy it other places

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

Back