Review and Clips of Intake Resonator Delete w/ K&N Filter

Nice write up. I have to say I'm running the same setup and my experience is almost exactly the same. A little more sound, consistent 1-2mpg increase, a bit better throttle response. Nothing major but not too bad for a "free" mod.

The main reason most of you are seeing a decrease in power, is because most of you are deleting the whole lower part of the intake and destroying the mechanics of how the intake was designed to work. On our thread Intake Resonator Delete
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/p2r-intake-resonator-delete-for-12-honda-civic-si.11098/
We actually show you the only part of the intake system that is an actual resonator. And that part can be removed without any loss of HP.

I would have to agree with the OP. Torque is lost when removing the resonator. I noticed it right away.

Removing the resonator doesnt hurt performance lol. It does made the intake louder and deeper though. Let's say for example you do lose 2 ft lbs of torque doing the resonator delete. Its not enough of a change that the ecu couldnt compensate for it. And if by chance it couldn't, its so small of a change you cant feel it. There are a ton of other factors that can affect how powerful a car feels from pull to pull. The intake resonator isnt going to make enough of a difference to be one of them. I'd be willing to bet if all this talk about intakes losing power was never brought up nobody would know the difference.

My bad. I didn't notice when it actually was posted, I guess someone bumped it because it showed up in my timeline. Still id be hard pressed to think that any amount of resonance will affect performance negatively to a degree to even be noticed. Is resonance a real thing? Of course. Will it make more than a couple of hp difference, nope. The amount of air you can physically flow is the most important thing about an intake. But we have mass airflow meters. When you up the amount or even speed of the air without changing the tune, your ecu will compensate, sometimes overly so.

Yeah I noticed that when you said something lol. Np. Sometimes I like to take a step back and quit over complicating things. In the case of engines, they are giant air pumps. More air (with fuel to match) means more power. However the ecu does try to maintain certain parameters. But harmonics, yes its true, but how much of a difference can it really make? No matter what you do, unless you go forced induction, our motors displace 2.4 liters lol.

Ok, Honda resonator have 2 major function, 1) to muffle the air intake sound 2) to create air pressure

It's why some people will feel loss of torque.....

Not all Honda share the same result, for example, r18 can benefit from resonator delete .

Ok, Honda resonator have 2 major function, 1) to muffle the air intake sound 2) to create air pressure

It's why some people will feel loss of torque.....

Not all Honda share the same result, for example, r18 can benefit from resonator delete .
Sorry man but it doesn't create positive pressue. The only way to do that is forced induction or a ram air type setup.
In order to create pressure its true that there has to be restriction, but without forced induction the intake components after the resonator and filter (throttle body and intake manifold) are only sucking in air. By creating a restriction point before that (resonator) thats all your doing is creating a restriction.

because it's educational...

air pressure can be very little, or it can be high enough like a turbo or supercharger...

but that is the whole purpose of the design of the "resonator" it draws air into a chamber, muffled the sound & pressurized (it's not boost) and it pulls up into the air box before going into the intake manifold...

did you also know a stock passenger car's front bumper have the ability to created velocity/air pressure for better radiator cooling...

Back