Skunk2 downpipe fell off

Tripcannon

I installed a full skunk system on my fb6 about a year ago. No issues until yesterday i was heading to school when my downpipe came unbolted from the block (while sitting at a red light). I didnt have time to pull the cowl and see exactly what went wrong but im assuming the studs either snapped or bolts vibrated out. With that being said does anyone know the bolt/ nut sizes? Theres 2 studs up top and 2 bolts below. Should i replace the regular nuts with lock nuts to prevent this from happening again? Thanks guys

Yes thats exactly the diagram ive been looking for thank you. Have you ever seen an issue like this before? Im guessing the culprit would be vibration. Id assume you really have to slam something hard to snap those studs

If you have other power mods, they can cause excess rocking of the engine putting stress on the studs. This issue can be alleviated by upgrading at least the lower rear motor mount.

I was expecting you to say the welds cracked and the pipe fell off, I've seen a few users with that issue.

As for the thread pitch, the diagram gives you the diameter (m8) and length (27mm). What it doesn't give you is the pitch which is 1.25 in this case.
So m8x1.25 with 27mm length. The bolt head itself (wrench size) is 12mm.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you have other power mods, they can cause excess rocking of the engine putting stress on the studs. This issue can be alleviated by upgrading at least the lower rear motor mount.
I was wrong about it coming unbolted. @dpetro1 nailed it. Welds snapped off. Skunk is sending me another downpipe but im still disappointed. Besides the exhaust i have flashpro, skunk cai, rbc swap, and rdx injectors. Should i still upgrade the mount?

Attachments

• 20190109_154709.jpg
    20190109_154709.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
Common failure on the skunk2. Honestly, I would be hesitant to install another one. You will just run into the same issue.
Get a quality downpipe like full race or rv6.

As for the rmm, definitely worth it.

Common failure on the skunk2. Honestly, I would be hesitant to install another one. You will just run into the same issue.

At least im not the only one. If i can sell it and get another one that would be ideal. Im thinking with a 3" coupling i can rig it up for the meantime

It has happened with both of the brands as well...just not very often.

I was wrong about it coming unbolted. @dpetro1 nailed it. Welds snapped off. Skunk is sending me another downpipe but im still disappointed. Besides the exhaust i have flashpro, skunk cai, rbc swap, and rdx injectors. Should i still upgrade the mount?

My initial assumption would have been the welds, but I assumed you looked and saw it was the studs. It wouldn't hurt to add a mount. It would be an inexpensive bit of insurance. Also, it reduces wheel hop.

Sounds like typical Junk2. Surprised you haven't already done a rear mount with the other stuff you've done.

Back