Staggered Setup Help

PainlessCandy

Cleveland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
It has come time to get a new set of summer wheels and tires. I had always had my heart set on some Work Kiwami's, but alas the budget will only allow for so much. The size I am set on is 18x9.5 as I would like to run a 255/35 tire up front. It appears that this is accomplished with some fender work that I am prepared to do. I just want to get some confirmation before pulling the trigger.

Based on @SafeGabe 's build, it looks like this tire will fit along with a wheel of that size as long as it has an offset of +25 or lower. He was running 225's in the rear however, and I believe that size would be too much of a stretch on a 9.5" wide wheel. If I am correct in that assumption, what size tire would you recommend running in the rear? A 235 seems like the obvious choice, but would the slight difference in sizes matter front to back?

I currently have the HFP suspension with no camber upgrades. It seems like this setup will fit but I am unsure if I need to get camber arms and bolts now or if it can wait til I upgrade the suspension later this year (I have my heart set on BC-RS coils w/ Swift springs). I am not looking to drop any more than half an inch from where it sits now.

I would like to go to this route as opposed to 18x9 since my options are much more limited in that size, and the look I am going for is more easily obtained with that width of wheel. A widebody kit is in my future as well, so I'm not worried about the poke as long as it functions, and I'm ready to roll and pull the fenders.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, that looks like way too much of a stretch to be doing serious driving on. Would there be any issues running a 235 in the rear? 235/40 is slightly over the +/- 3% difference, but does that make a difference in the rear on a FWD car?

More importantly, will a 235 wide tire fit back there without significant camber at my mild 1.5" drop? Other people seem to have more of an issue with fitment in the rear than in the front when running meaty tires.

It's hard for me to tell based on those pictures how close it really is. Does anyone know if @Artdogg did fender work in the rear?

I also noticed @Dar-Dar 's post right above that where he fit a 255 in the rear, though on a thinner wheel. Would running a higher offset in the back help clear the fender, or will it be running into the strut regardless at 9.5" wide?

It seems like it will fit as long as I'm not going too low, which I can't afford to do in Ohio anyways.

@Nix @Safe Gabe and anyone else who ran different sizes, I'd be curious what you recommend as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was worried about that. Seems like some of the old staples on here haven't been as active recently. Thank you for the help @webby. It would just be easier to go 18x9 with a 225 so I don't have to worry about it, it seems.

Painless, what year is your car? The 14-15 with the stock 18s seem to have a bit more room to work with. The biggest problem I see with the 9.5" wheel is the tire width. 225 is stretched, 235 is too really.

Gabe was on 17s so the tire dimensions are different. I wouldn't go more than a 9" wheel on our cars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2013 Coupe Si

I've decided I'm going to run a true staggered setup with 9.5" up front and 8.5" in the rear. I agree, it looks like anything above 9" just isnt going to fit in the back.

Last edited:
After looking at more examples of stretch of a 225/40 on a 18x8.5 I really should go up to a 235. Camber + stretch makes me worry.
Yeah so you would be looking at 225/40 out back? I would stay with 9" width max

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back