Supercharged Honda CR-Z MUGEN in action

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Supercharged Honda CR-Z MUGEN in action

Watch the prototype Honda CR-Z MUGEN, developed in conjunction with MUGEN Euro, make its first appearance on the road.

Development of the new Honda CR-Z Mungen concept has been going slow and steady, so the factory tuner thought the hybrid track attackers deserves to stretch its legs on some Welsh mountain roads before it gets its official reveal at the 2011 Goodwood Festival of Speed in July.

Thanks to the collaboration of Honda UK and its in-house tuning shop Mugen Euro, the 1.5-liter i-VTEC petrol engine has received a supercharger as well as to the Honda IMA system. Unfortunately, the project is ongoing, so we can’t tell you to much about it, but the first tests have shown a lot of promise, especially from the performance point of view.

The exact power output of the supercharged hybrid powerplant is still unknown, but mid-tune engine have resulted in 0-60mph (0-98 km/h) times around that of the Civic Type R. That means a mid six-second range, that should arrive thanks to the combined efforts of 200 hybrid horses.

MUGEN say they’ve achieved this by adding an extra 15 percent under the bonnet compared to the ‘stage 1’ level of tune. Despite the big wing on the back, the car has also shed some 50 kilograms (110 lbs).

“Performance figures already look promising for this supercharged Honda CR-Z, as early tests with a prototype car based on a standard CR-Z and a mid-tune engine giving 0-60mph times around that of the Civic Type R,” Honda said in a statement.

"Early fuel consumption tests have also been encouraging," says Colin Whittamore from Mugen Euro. "We've retained the three driving modes from the standard car and economy ranges from 50+mpg in 'eco' mode to mid-30 mpg when tapping into the supercharged power in a special Mugen mode."

God, I love that interior.

Is it time for a trade in? :think:

put a k20z3 in there with a supercharger and i would sell my full race fa5 in a heart beat for it :drooling:

Great vid and nice exhaust note....put it into production!!!

lol

I like it, minus the wing. Interior is KILLER.

However, I have a bad feeling it's gonna be barking on STi territory price wise. :shrug:

• Staff
the crz is cheaper than the civic si though. The mugen civic si was under 30k. I guess we'll see if it comes to production

If I remember correctly, the initial pricing for the Mugen Si was above sticker (for a short time), then many dealers were stuck with them when interest waned.

that is true. I recall some dealers trying to add 1-5k on the msrp. I also remember some places not being able to sell them. There was a mugen about 30 miles from me that sat there for probably 8 months.

I just figured since it's got Recaros and Boost on top of all the mugen accessories it would surpass the Mugen Si MSRP.

just today -

Though this vehicle is yet to see the light of the day in a production form, some of the parts and components are available through the Honda UK Mugen authorized dealer network.

It cost Honda nearly £150,000 to build the prototype and if and when the production version comes out then the Honda CR-Z Mugen is expected to cost in the range of £40,000-£50,000.

Although you can’t buy this car, Mugen offers some of its parts and components as aftermarket parts:
  • Bumper skirts, grille, side skirts and rear wing – £2600
  • Interior assist meters, gear knob and rear view mirror – £1600
  • Exhaust, wheels, and suspension – £6500

Yeah, I don't see that happening even slightly.

Some pics from one of the UK Ocho members....hope they are ok to post.

I was lucky enough to be invited by Mugen and Honda to drive Mugen's CR-Z one-off prototype at Rockingham circuit near to Mugen Euro's HQ in the UK.

Supercharged hybrid 200 HP, 1085 kg, over 50 mpg and zero road tax.

Honda_CR-Z_Day_1-178.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_1-167.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_1-211.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_1-290.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_1-361.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_1-594.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_1-597.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_1-610.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_2-245.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_2-212.jpg

Honda_CR-Z_Day_2-57.jpg

Mugen Euro CEO Hiro Toyoda with his creation

Honda_CR-Z_Day_2-418.jpg

and this is me trying my best to drive it quickly ;)

Honda_CR-Z_Day_2-94.jpg

Apparently.....there was another pic of him out of the car and it def looks like the guy that is behind the wheel in the last shot.

This guy has owned several rare and amazing cars from Honda, one being a Civic Mugen RR.

That's pretty impressive..now we need to hear what he thought of it lol

Back