Supercharged Mugen CR-Z Confirmed By Honda UK

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Supercharged Mugen CR-Z Confirmed By Honda UK

Honda_CR_Z_iCF_01.jpg

When Honda revealed the Mugen CR-Z RR Study at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2011 earlier in the summer, the Japanese carmaker confirmed a production version of its hotted-up hybrid sport hatch that will go on sale in Britain next spring. For those of you wondering, unfortunately, Honda has no plans to offer the car in other markets – at least for the time being.

The production model is named CR-Z iCF and it has been developed in partnership with Mugen's European arm. At the heart of the car lies a modified version of the CR-Z's 1.5-liter hybrid powertrain that gains a supercharger, a new induction system and a reprogrammed ECU.

As a result of these upgrades, the CR-Z iCF has almost 50 per cent more power than the standard car at 175PS (equal to 173HP and 177bhp) and can sprint from zero to 62mph (100km/h) in just 6.1 seconds or 3 seconds quicker than the regular 124PS CR-Z.

In addition to the power boost, Mugen will also retune the chassis and modify the appearance of the CR-Z inside and out.

Martin Moll, Head of Honda UK's marketing division commented: "MUGEN Euro magic has created a super responsive yet eco-conscious model building on our sporting credentials and giving us the ability to compete in the "hot hatch" marketplace as we move into 2012."

Honda said that it is still working on the pricing but it expects the CR-Z iCF to start from around £24,000 (approx. US$37,300 or €27,990). More details are to be released closer to the launch date.

Reactions: Nix
I like it. But the price?...... ow. Ill take a 370z... sorry. Oh and still have $$ for poorly fitting but good looking wheels!

Make it $25-27K.

How is the fuel efficency affected by the charger? i would rather save all that cash and get an Si.

The price wouldn't be a direct reflection of what it would cost in the US. The cost of a normal CR-Z in the UK is £17,695 ($27,613), which isn't close to the US MSRP of $19,545. If you build one to the equivalent of the US EX Navi model, it comes to £22,640 ($35,329). The US MSRP is $22,905.

Take those conversions with a grain of salt, as the models in the UK are slightly different than what we have. The differences wouldn't be enough to constitute a price difference of several thousands of dollars.

I would think this new model would follow the same parameters, if it were to be released in the US market.

I'm not sure what causes the large variance in prices, but from what I understand, many things are that way.

not directly just to you, but how many people in the US would really spend $37k on this 173hp cr-z?

No, that price is rediculous, but the car is actually appealing now. :)

Just seems we always get the shaft on a lot of cool cars out there for some reason...or they are castrated and have less appealing options. :(

I really like the looks of the car. If it was $25k I think they'd have a hit. I almost got a cr-z but felt for 19,000ish that the mileage wasn't any better than the civic and was a much smaller car at that. I was hoping for high 40's. However this one with the added zip would be very cool.

Back