The K24Z7 and aftermarket air Intakes....

zuckuss00

SoCal
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys,

I know there is a separate section for intake discussion. However, I'm more concerned with the technical aspect of adding a intake to our cars than reviews on brands.

I've been looking into picking up a intake for my 2012 Civic SI. After looking deeper and reading about after market intakes causing check engine lights and misfire problems, I'm starting to second guess the upgrade, especially after seeing/hearing videos of valves ticking hard such as this:
View: http://youtu.be/pmaNk7Z2LTk

What causes the K24 to not accept cold air intakes well? Does it depend on whether of not the air flow sensor is moved or replaced? Would a mixture adaptation or ECU flash for sure fix the problems these intakes cause or are these cases just isolated to certain cars... There doesn't seem to be a definite answer anywhere on here.

The only thing that I know of that would cause an issue and CEL is if the intake is larger than 3"
Any other intake solution is fine for this engine

and that ^ can be fixed with hondata flashpro. I'm not sure if I've seen a single thread about an intake causing a CEL here. Some say the injen robs performance, but on the flip side...a member here ran a 13.9 quarter mile on street tires with the injen intake (and a few other bolt on mods).

Is the Hondata flash necessary in order for the car to adapt to the increased airflow? I'm just concerned about misfires and knocking.

I'm looking at the AEM cold air intake. Or do you guys suggest the Injen intake over it? They are basically the same design. Has anyone proved it robs power? I can't see how that's possible.

A couple of users said they had slower 1/4 mile times after installing the injen. That's why I said another user ran 13.9. One of the fastest all motor times here. Flashpro is only needed to basically get the full potential of the intake. You'll have better performance once tuned with flashpro versus without.

When I still had my 2012 si this was my first upgrade. Sound was awesome throttle response felt better but I don't believe the car ran faster or slower. But then I went and got the Ultimate Racing Cat-Back exhaust with their catless downpipe and wow the car ran amazing. Throw in flashpro with a tune you can get very nice gains in whp and torque. Injen CAI is nice and well built I always ran Injen in my cars and never had any problems. Guys I work with loved the way my car ran so much that they ended up getting the same mods that I had lol. Now I drive a pick-up and it has a Injen CAI lol.

I had an Injen CAI on my as my first mod and had no issues at all, she ran fine even before my flashpro

Same here. Injen CAI, and no issues what so ever. Unless you consider a throatier sounding acceleration an issue hehe. I get better gas mileage and slightly better throttle response. Once again, unless you tune it, the car can only make minor adjustments in regards to the more air flow.

So I've been wanting a KN intake but for some reason it's been looking down upon. What's so bad about the KN? I love the way it sounds, the way it looks, and could anyone tell me the diameter of the pipe?

So I've been wanting a KN intake but for some reason it's been looking down upon. What's so bad about the KN? I love the way it sounds, the way it looks, and could anyone tell me the diameter of the pipe?

The K&N SRI looks like a solid setup from what I can tell with pretty good gains according to their dyno graph.

I think there are two main things users are frowning upon. Firstly, the fact that they use oiled filters which can cause oil to buildup in the intake track over time (depending on how it is re-oiled). Secondly, the fact that they use a larger micron size that allows more air flow, but that also could potentially allow more dirt in (hence the oil that is supposed to catch some of that dirt/debris).

The K&N SRI looks like a solid setup from what I can tell with pretty good gains according to their dyno graph.

I think there are two main things users are frowning upon. Firstly, the fact that they use oiled filters which can cause oil to buildup in the intake track over time (depending on how it is re-oiled). Secondly, the fact that they use a larger micron size that allows more air flow, but that also could potentially allow more dirt in (hence the oil that is supposed to catch some of that dirt/debris).

Can't I just put a different filter??

Sure, you can use a different filter, but then you don't have a K&N filter. I think that another thing that gets them shunned is that they are not known to market towards the import crowd (Rice). They make a solid product and are widely used in Muscle cars and domestic Trucks, but you don't really see them being used in the import scene.

I did a search and didn't see anyone talking about a real fix other than purchasing hondata. I had an Afe intake on my si that made the car idle rough (sounds lumpy) and would trip the emissions cel. I found that It's a design flaw for some intake brands. The M.A.F flange is too thick on some brands, not letting the mass airflow meter get enough flowing air. I've thought about shaving the flange down on mine, but it's in a tight area. Might need a machinist. If you look on eBay, the newer intakes sit the meter further into the pipe fixing the problem. It has nothing to do with pipe size.

I did a search and didn't see anyone talking about a real fix other than purchasing hondata. I had an Afe intake on my si that made the car idle rough (sounds lumpy) and would trip the emissions cel. I found that It's a design flaw for some intake brands. The M.A.F flange is too thick on some brands, not letting the mass airflow meter get enough flowing air. I've thought about shaving the flange down on mine, but it's in a tight area. Might need a machinist. If you look on eBay, the newer intakes sit the meter further into the pipe fixing the problem. It has nothing to do with pipe size.
This is an afe intake made for the 9th gen civic that did this???

Back