The official "Ask a Detailer Thread"

RaskyR1

There are a few knowledgeable detailers on the forum already so ask away!

I'll try to answer as many as I can. Please read through previous post so that the same questions aren't asked more than once.
cheerleader1.gif

Also, please use this thread to ask detailing related questions rather than sending me a PM.

Thanks,
Rasky

Lol, I wasn't getting involved in that one anymore than I already did. It's just not worth it. I used a da for years before I tried a rotary, and while I love my rotary, I would be a moron to use only the rotary....keep up the good work buddy!

what are the common mistakes people make when detailing their cars?

The most common mistake I see is users working/moving too fast with the polisher (DA). They get upset, and some even give up and buy new products when they don't see immediate results. Polishing correctly takes a lot of time and technique is the most important part of it. I will typically work a 20" x 20" section for about 2 minutes just doing one polishing step.

Another big one is applying wax WAY to heavily! No matter how thick you put it on there is only going to be a microscopic thin layer that gets left behind. So save yourself the time, effort, and money by applying your waxes/sealants in very thin coats....no need to apply more than two coats for uniform coverage either!

Poor washing technique is another. If you want your car to stay looking swirl free, proper washing and drying is the most important thing. Don't skimp on the cost of good wash media either. Todd's article here is a great "how to" guide on proper washing.

Not really a mistake I guess, since we all like trying out now products, but my biggest "pet peeve" if you will is the "what is the best looking wax/sealant for my car" question. Answer: Only you can decide that as we all see things differently. Proper polishing makes up 95% percent of the final look, and the difference in waxes/sealants is very very little. Most would not be able to even tell the subtle differences between them at high noon on a sunny day.

That's all I can think of right now....maybe Dave can add in a few too. :wigglesmiley:

Rasky

what are the common mistakes people make when detailing their cars?
I agree with everything Chad mentioned, and will just add my own little spin.

I will answer this question in two parts. The first part pertaining to people who only wash and maybe wax their car, but thats it, and the other for enthusiest who get into machine polishing and so on.

As for the harry homeowner that just wants to keep their vehicles clean I would say using improper tools and techniques are the most common mistakes. Believe it or not there are still people out there who will wash and dry cars with beach towels, wash a car with nothing but paper towels and windex, and even use all sorts of brushes on their paint. This leads to nothing but swirls, scratches, and scuffs. It's pretty sad since to just wash a car properly doesn't take much money or time, but a little bit of knowledge. Someone could keep their car relatively swirl free with just a couple grits guards, a couple buckets, a good sponge and microfiber towel for drying.

The second most common mistake I see (my neighbor does this constantly and then wonders why his black Volvo looks almost gray now) is that people with drop their drying towel or wax applicator on the ground and then just go back to using it like nothing happened. If a towel, applicator, or sponge of mine touches the ground it either gets knocked down to cleaning wheels only or tossed in the trash. This is the only way to know for sure that you didn't pick up some sort of debris that is going to mar your paint.

For the enthusiest/pro
I'm with Chad on this one. Impropper polishing techniques are the most common mistakes. I break this down into several categories. First is arm speed. People think that since they have a machine they can just whip it around on the paint as fast as they want. With a DA machine this won't hurt anything, but you won't be remeoving any swirls either. However with a rotary you will be putting in more swirls and holograms, and the vehicle will most likely look worse afterr than it did before.

Second is using the machine on too high of a speed. Lots of people think a higher speed will remove defects fast, and in a way it will, but most times it will also lead to burning through the clearcoat or leaving behind holograms in the paint.

great info

when washing/drying car best to wash/dry top to bottom? or bottom to top?
Thanks! Top to bottom for sure! Some (me included if they are bad) even use a different wash media (specific sponge or mitt) for lower panels. This way you don't run the risk of dragging the contaminants from the bottom of the vehicle onto the rest of the paint work.

Every year I get a new mitt for the top of the car and upper panels, and the rest all get bumped down from there. The one for wheels goes to mitt heaven.

Use an ammonia free window cleaner like stoners invisible glass. Great product.

Google stoners invisible glass. It's got a yellow top.

I wonder if Lexan cleaners work? ... they are made for motorcycle windscreens and have no ammonia

What is the best brush to clean the wheel with out scratching it and the brush should reach inside the wheel for the break dust.

I'm looking at buying some cleaning products from Griots. Specifically their sealent and best of show wax. Have you ever used their products? Also do you know who makes their product? Thanks

Back