Darkout

Supporting Member
VIP Member
Cocoa, FL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Alright! So I've had this idea for several years now and I feel now is the time to start. I don't post on my "main" car build thread as I've been debating to mod it but I believe I have decided to just do more cosmetic mods on the SI till warranty is over and try to focus on this project I've had for awhile. It's nothing new but would enjoy others to join me as I figure out, design, fail and succeed in making....a street bike powered sandrail/dunebuggy...!!!!

I live 2 miles from 2 woods play areas, owned a jeep grand cherokee and loved every minute of beating it up. Turned a $10k vehicle into a 1k$ vehicle in 2 years but had ball. I've wanted a toy and an aspiring engineer so this feels like a good stepping stone to prove myself.

This will start off slow as I am budget building but trying to do right. First step is finding what engine and trans I want to use (open to suggestions) that are cheap but modifiable. Then going to build the "rectangle" frame / unibody, long arms / suspension, etc.

Trying to do this all self / custom so this could be interesting. I will try to video the progress to help keep anyone interested in being entertained lol

This guy / youtube channel

has inspired me and urge to follow if you like (as I feel he needs more credit) to build something similar but as my own design.

Hope you all enjoy a slow start to a possibly funnnnnn project :thumbsup:

I'm in to see how this goes. Shouldn't be hard for you to find and engine off a wrecked bike for cheap.

Yea there's actually an ebay distributor out of daytona that has 1k's of motors and parts. I live about an hour south so I could easily waive and shipping charges. Trying to find something under $500, think that's a fair number to get something decent motor/trans wise.

Debating on a square stance vs "reverse" staggered design (what's showed) but this is the bare bones skeleton blueprint of what I'm thinking about.
20160108_004308_zpsvs5usqml.jpg

So this massive plan of ingenues fun has really been a struggle to admit I'm far from achieving this BUT it is not dead. I ended up buying a predator 212 hemi on a impulse buy and had it torn down completely in 2 hours. Proceeded to port and polish the head massively to open the potential of this motor. Did a self boring job on the stock carb from (a pure guess) .590ish to .630-.640 ish. Basically clamped the carb level in a drill press and hand turned a 5/8" bit slowly through it. This caused some scoring in a minor few places but didn't want to fling the carb and cause more damage being a higher bit speed. I also wasn't sure it was 100% center so it gave me some wiggle room. aAfter smoothing and buffing I estimate a .640". Chopped the exhaust and used the spark plug tool as an extension for a straight pipe (kept falling off), went open/no air filter intake as I didn't mess with jet's yet so i wanted to keep the best STOCK intake flow. Removed the governor, oil sensor and trimmed all gaskets/surfaces to a smooth transfer. Also knife edged and trimmed down the throttle plate and bar to help with throttle response and WO throttle a little. Here's the first vid I took of it's first running and revving, quickily to rev it a few to help seat the rings quick but with the governor not there threw a pushrod on a few second WO due to valve float. Got springs, chrome moly pushrods and a thinner head gasket coming. Really need to watch the flywheel now though as it will fly apart with what I've done so far. Governor is there for that reason. BUT enough rant here's the vid, I have more of follow up's and commentaries about the night that I find funny but I don't feel posting it unless people care to see them.

I'll post picks of the work I've done when i upload them.

Back